1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Sunday Chit Chat, Talk, Answer and Play Guitar (Stefano's Live Stream)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Schnipp, Aug 28, 2016.

1. TTM

TTM Alien

I hope too, but i'm not holding my breath... Train is very likely gone and we have to wait. Hopefully not 10 years...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    mantasisg 2 likes this.
  2. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

I don't think Stefano understood what i was saying or maybe i haven't wrote it well. I said that i am even faster WITH the Vsync, i think Stefano read it the other way around.

I will say that one more time and i will leave it like that cause some people are stubborn as hell. Do a good lap time, a hot lap, with your screen tearing jerky Vsync OFF setting, and than repeat the same with Vsync ON (and 60 fps cap)..
    If you can't repeat or surpass that time (while your eyes are enjoying it), than i'm wrong and i will give you back the money.

Offcourse, this is best without the Virtual steering wheel, the only giveaway to your brain that there is that 'lag'. But without the virtual wheel your eyes have no idea that that small visual lag is there, and since FFB and physics do NOT lag, you will drive the same or even better.. So yeah.

LeDude83, After_Midnight, TDS and 2 others like this.
  3. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

You could try Nvidia fastsync.
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/vsync-vs-fps-cap.35421

It basicly gives smooth and tear-free graphics with no or very low lag.
    My first tests with it were promising, though have to test a few more settings (more cars, different time and weather).

(I also used Vsync over fps cap, because I like the smooth and tear-free graphics)

4. liakjim

liakjim Alien

I play with dashboard camera so I can't see virtual steering.
    Even so, I am always faster and more consisted with vsync off.
    I tried to let my brain adjust to the input lag introduced by vsync since I just love the butter smoothness with it, but I fail every time.
    So currently I drive only with vsync off and cap at 63.

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  5. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Same here. I tried it several times. And capping isn't an option on my system. It introduces micro stuttering.
    I'm definitely faster without vsync.

6. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

By the way, Stefano talked about an idea of combining AC physics with open world maps. Not that it's a plan just a thought.
    I like that thought.

7. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Sorry, my praise for fastsync was a bit premature.
    At RBR without opponents it worked pretty well somehow, but with opponents at Barcelona it wasn't so smooth anymore.
    So for now I'm back to VSync as I prefer the smooth motion over lower lag.

8. Warlock

Warlock Hardcore Simmer

Regarding AI, I encoutered few times that stucking of AI when one of them spins, will make video tomorrow of it.

Regarding V-Sync, I don't like it, I use fps cap all the time and have no problem what so ever.

Cheers...

9. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Every system is different, some are more susceptible to lag. I guess you already set
    MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY=1
    in graphics.ini.
    Cap at 60 + Vsync (in game as it's using triple buffering) and this setting, the best visual/latency compromise I've tried.

LeDude83 likes this.
  10. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Never worked for me, always some stutter. Tried very hard to make it work in Cod BO3 but it just makes everything much worse.
    Useless feature, it's only there to push G-Sync, I guess. :)

Schnipp likes this.
  11. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I think people can be faster with v-sync in a controlled optimum setup in a combo they are very familiar with, in that they are not driving reactively but more through memory. Extra lag will make a fairly big difference in a car that is needing to be driven a bit more reactive or in changing conditions where you may have less grip, with tyre wear on longer runs likely changing balance through a run. The extra input lag with v-sync will simply make your reaction time slower so catching slides and adjusting inputs will be much harder. Try drive over the limit with v-sync on and off and your much more likely to spin with it on due to slower reactions. In a race you will also see everything a fraction later so in close battles with traffic again your reaction time will be a touch slower causing some more issues.

Running solo and hot lapping in fixed conditions a person can adjust to the input lag and just turn, steer, brake etc a fraction earlier. If the car starts to slide they will lose more time then without the extra lag but in many cars the fastest way around is with not too much sliding and so you can be still quick with v-sync in ideal conditions.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  12. Vsync and frame cap here. I've made test allways and ever to find the mystical (for me) input lag.
    I've never noticed any difference between Vsync on/off related to my driving and reaction time. Never. I don't see any difference. I can't feel any difference.
    So why I should stressed my system with 80- 130 FPS when I can get the same with 60 FPS. Also it eliminated microstutters and tearing. Its the better way to go for me. Of course my personal experience.
    Maybe really system related and it can't easily adapted to all the different PC's out there.

13. Some tests with the AI:

pigsy and jsTrecu like this.
  14. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Same boat, as I've never experienced this in my system I could never understand those horror stories about evil of all evils INPUT LAG. Especially in racing sim, which car reacts in 0.00001 ms to steering wheel input anyway.
    Some systems, esp. those using TVs or older panels with higher inherited input lag, suffers the most, but with most modern systems, VSync does not affect even twitch FPS shooters like COD.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Trezoitao38, Topuz and Boris Lozac like this.
  15. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Have you ever tried to play sober :D If you only ever play drunk then the reaction time difference with an extra 1 or 2 frames delay wont matter as your running half a frame or more slower anyway.

Seriously though v-sync simply adds frame delay to increase smoother rendering its one or the other until you go to g-sync type monitor displays which should solve both issues as well as possible. Everything is already delayed from the time its rendered to the time its displayed, some monitors mostly people running a tv as their gaming display will add even more lag then v-sync adds so this 1-2 extra frames turns to 4-5 extra frames and so with these slow displays even v-sync off will still have 3-4 frames delay vs 4-5 with it on so either way its quite laggy and v-sync isnt the biggest issue.

If you are the sort of person that really struggle to catch a car that has a slight lose at the rear then it could very likely be due to the input lag. When Input lag is mentioned its not really rendering the wheel on the screen though this will show it to a point its just how long it takes for something to happen and the time you see it. Your reacting to what you can see so if your seeing it 4-5 frames after its happened then react to it, with your own reaction time then extra delay from your inputs to be understood by the pc it just means the more lag the harder it will get to react to anything.

I ran v-sync for a little while by mistake as I turned it on for a test and found I was much more likely to spin the car, I couldnt understand why I was all of a sudden struggling more then normal. Turn v-sync off but still run an fps cap and its back to normal. Someone used to always running v-sync on will likely be more effected by even minor tearing and so mentally be on the back foot already so they will likely prefer the look of v-sync and so also feel more comfortable and so drive better. Clearly v-sync adding delay is not a myth but a reality for some they may not notice it and so thats a good reason to have the option to run it on or off.

Ideally in any racing sim you want the lowest amount of lag possible, for many dealing with minor tearing is worth the reduced lag. Some have other setup issues likely causing even more lag and possibly also react slower so the difference isnt so noticeable to them.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  16. Good question :p Maybe next time mate :eek:

martcerv likes this.
  17. Kubr0

Kubr0 Racer

darn, wanted to ask him whether the setting virtual steering wheel lock will make its way to the consoles one day ... :/

18. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

We PC racers need to activate soft lock in an .ini file. It's rudimentary and experimental. Because it begins to hit back heavily on full lock. I don't think you would like it. And Stefano has no easy solution for that.

19. Kubr0

Kubr0 Racer

I would be actually satisfied with the very same option we currently have @PC. Its under display I think - "Virtual steering wheel lock" and impacts the cockpit view.

20. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

Looking at the track, you, just, can't, see, the, lag. It is not moving at the speed at which your eyes can tell that something is delayed, like looking at the virtual steering wheel. You just can't tell the difference. FFB and physics are not lagging at all and that is the main thing.
    Turn off the virtual steering wheel and just look at the track, do some slides and turns with Vsync off, then repeat with Vsync ON, you are honestly telling me that you can notice it while looking at the track/ahead of you?