1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Sunday Chit Chat, Talk, Answer and Play Guitar (Stefano's Live Stream)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Schnipp, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Try use double fps limit of refresh hate, like 120 fps on 60 hz.

In my experience of Assetto Corsa I didnt like to run without vsync because of stuterings. I feel so much when the game runing on 80, 90 fps.

So, I bought a Gsync monitor 144 hz, and now i can feel the difference on latency. Its way easier to reach the turn in, apex and turn out. Catch the car is easier too, I never catch a slide like Chris Harris on a 60 hz monitor, but on my new monitor I catch exaclty he does, with the car straight on the final of the corner when I do a powerslide.

WallyM and Mogster like this.
  2. pablex13

pablex13 Racer

guys can anyone remember if the roll back to pre1.8 shadows that Stefano said only includes the popping in and out of far shadows (like grandstands)

or does that also address the barriers shadow movements, sail shadows running in front of you while you go around the track, AA aura around static shadows while camera moves (i think its the same as the barriers)
    because i used to have these shadow movements pre1.8 but now its been magnified a bit.

@Lord Kunos if you have the time could you confirm? thank you.

Edit: should've opened steam and try to update first... changelog says :
    tweaks on shadows bias, reintroduced last cascade fade in (reduce popup of distant objects).
    will test and see how it went.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  3. pablex13

pablex13 Racer

after a quick test at nordschleife:
    barriers shadow movements, side wall shadow flickering, 'AA aura' around static shadows while camera moves and specially 'sail shadows' running in front of you while you go around the track (sail shadows problem i did not have before 1.8) continue to be a bit worse then pre1.8

also it seems to me that shadows are only rendered in their selected resolution in a 2-4 meter radius around the car and outside of that its just very low res shadow, so basically I have a line 3 meters in front of my car at all times were the shadow goes from verylow res to my chosen res (medium). (videos in graph bug section)
    it would seem like the farplane for the shadows was reduced on 1.8 ? maybe its not that i just dont know how to call it or shadows techie terms.

so 1.8.1 didnt help on that... i really dont know if it improved the pop out at a far since i dont use ultra shadows.

Dont think im bashing! just providing my feedback from the patch, I find it awesome that you are still improving shadows and reflections at 1.8 ! thank you for not giving up on the community (it seems you have been very close).
    btw Reflections and 'smoothness' update was just great.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    WallyM likes this.
  4. grandepunto

grandepunto Simracer

Since 1.8 there where black pixels spread across the screen in some turns. Like 4-5 pixels above each other and maybe thirty to fifty sets across the screen for a second or so and then they were gone before showing up again in another corner of the track. But not in every corner. Thought it maybe had to do with shadows because there were issues reported. I turned them down but that didn't help. Fiddling around in Nvidea-inspector didn't help either. Or maybe I set afterburner to high. But turning vsync off solved it. And then setting 65 max fps took away the tearing that came up. I use a tv at 60 Hz. Don't notice any change in lag however.

5. bzucobzuco

bzucobzuco Hardcore Simmer

You have right. This is how shadow cascades works:
    [​IMG]

I think the low distance of 1. cascade is because users with low end graphics card want to have at least cockpit shadows good looking. I guess that 1. cascade resolution on medium shadow details is 1024x1024 which is still enought for cockpit. The question is if we can have long distance of 1. cascade on high and even longer on ultra shadow details :)....but then there might be a little problem that we will see split between 1/2 cascade somewhere right infront of car :D...to avoid visible splitting, cascades distances need to be set perfectly and this can be done only for approx. 50m from camera position, which is not enough for racing game.

So it is crazy to play with cascade split distances. Few months ago I made app in unity to play with shadows - link to post

Some question for @Lord Kunos what will happend if we have first 2 or 3 shadow cascades with same resolution (2048x2048) and only the last will be 1024 or 512? Or maybe not possible solution, but have 1. cascade for cockpit 1024x1024 (2m distance), 2. cascade 4096x4096 (...100-200m), 3. cascade 2048x2048 (xy meters), 4. cascade...
    Sadly I dont know how to test this, because unity alows us only change overall resolution, overall distance and cascade splits.

cerebralvortex and WallyM like this.
  6. pablex13

pablex13 Racer

thank for explaining how shadow cascades work.

this was changed to this on the 1.8 updated correct? because I did not get that high res/low res division before the update.
    edit: i have always used medium(1024) shadows.

7. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

To be really good at racing, you have to think ahead of time anyway.
    You have to be able to predict, know things are going to happen before they occur.

Therefore, lag isn't that much of an issue in sim racing, as long as it's only a visual thing.

But of course, it still sucks to have visual lag.

8. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Lag is more anoying when you have to turn to left and them to right or vice versa. You will really miss the second apex.

9. bzucobzuco

bzucobzuco Hardcore Simmer

@pablex13 shadow cascades and hires/lowres divisions was here from the AC beginning. What was changed on last major update(I just guess :) )was the distance of first cascade ( from 3-4 m to 1-2 m) and the fading of last cascade.
    In 1.8 you can not see first division from cockpit view because it is too close to the camera. Next division is approx. 50 m from camera.
    In external cameras are distances between divisions different.

pablex13 likes this.
  10. The same feeling as mine - Vsync on/off makes noticeable difference in FFB feeling - loosing details with on. Also frame rate and windowed mode makes difference for me :)