1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

SuperFOV & Immersive Display Settings?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by IDLH_, Dec 4, 2013.

1. HackMac

HackMac Racer

Hi again,
    I just tried the Nthusim software, but AC does start when it runs.
    pCARS does start but the screen does not get warped.
    Race 07 works fine.

What Nthusim version do you use?
    I am using 3.4 in evaluation mode, which should work like the full version according to the devs.

I think somehow the dx11 is not supported or s.th. is wrong with my graphic card (see signature) or driver (12.x)

2. antz360

antz360 Gamer

...holy smokes thats awesome. How does that compare to a real car btw?

3. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

4. MrPix

MrPix Racer

I'm currently in the research phase (aka blagging the wife I need this) and have exchanged a few PMs with the OP (thanks for the advice so far IDLH_).

I have recently gone from SLI and triple screens and am missing the immersion immensely... but not missing the SLI hassles or the bezels in my vision at all. My current screen is a 2760x1440 27" Samsung and is fantastic for fps and working on, but as I like a 'proper' FOV or close to, it's just not cutting the mustard for me!

I was wondering before I go any further, does the BenQ W1080ST projector support non-native resolutions?

The resolution I am aiming at is 1920 x 803 pixels delivered via the GPU. I have tested on the monitor and I can get the ratio 1:2.39 to work no problem with black bars top and bottom.

I ask as I want either the full 180 degrees experience ...
    option1.png

or somewhere around 150 degrees....
    option2.png

... depending on where I place the curved screen... but at 1:2.39 ratio for a 86" projection at 71" distance with 36" max screen height.

I have some additional rather tight requirements:

The wheel and seating position is fixed and cannot be moved due to the office desk. There is already a 22" x 6" cut out as shown for the wheel in the desk.

Due to the small room I work/play in... the projector must be 71" max away from the screen to sit on the opposite wall behind me.

The screen must fit in front of the existing monitor - in the illustration, the base of my 27" monitor would touch the back of the 86" orange line (which could also represent a portable flat screen for watching films)

The screen must be able to be picked up and put further back behind the existing monitor I use as a primary monitor when not in use.

Option 1 shows the curved screen placed on the desk behind the wheel base with no cut out apart from a 8" x 1" slot at the bottom for the wheel wiring.

Option 2 shows the curved screen with a cut out for the wheel base. I would also drop the screen height for this option to 7" below desk level for the exposed ends that overhang the desk front.

Early stages, but I have worked out I can do this for £900 GBP (Projector, Screen + Coating, warping software) so not much more than what I paid for the monitor last year!

OT: I would also implore the DEVs (Kunos etc) to consider adding an option to support curved screens...please.

5. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

Awesome plans man I need to send your proposed non-native res to the PJ to see how it handles it. I'll also verify that your dimensional requirements are feasible when I'm home from work. I suggest a 140-150 FOV as you're (IMHO) wasting pixels at the periphery above about 150. Plus because we still need to massage a triple camera output to emulate a cylindrical one, the lower the FOV is the more 'correct' the FOV is across the screen and especially nearest the bezel zones.

I'll have more info tonight.

MrPix likes this.
  6. MrPix

MrPix Racer

Fantastic! Thanks... I look forward to your next post.... assuming that you manage to test.... AI is on it's way! can't wait to see some immersive pics/vids from your setup!

7. MrPix

MrPix Racer

Just realised that with the Option 2 @ 150 degrees, and the screen pulled forward over my wheel base, the projected image would be 31" high.... which is also fine with me :) . I'm pulling some more drawings together from all angles currently, will post when complete.

8. MrPix

MrPix Racer

Hi again. @IDLH_ I managed to get a w1080st on a 14 day trial locally and am really struggling with it. I'm using HDMI but I can't seem to get 1920x1080p to display anything at all (no signal) and I can't get 1920x1080i to display in anything greater than 30hz.... any ideas how to achieve 60hz or greater? (BTW... I have managed to get my custom res (1920x803) to display, but again, only @ 30hz interlaced.

What resolution/refresh rate are you running at?

9. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

Something is wrong then, mine will output anything I throw at it and native res is indeed 1920x1080 @ 60hz.

Try the other HDMI input?

MrPix likes this.
  10. MrPix

MrPix Racer

Thanks.... just got hold of a higher quality HDMI cable... although to short... and get 1080p@60hz :)

11. MrPix

MrPix Racer

Hi IDLH_, just a quick update and yet another couple of questions....

Update on project: I've cut out the curved supports for the screen (as this will be portable and desk mounted/stored) and marked the hardboard for the screen ready for cutting and I've sourced an 8m HDMI 1.4a cable that should suffice for my needs/specs. I've got a projector mount sorted and will be putting that up tomorrow and the shelf support is ready to accept it on the opposing wall.

I'm going to paint the screen at the weekend once assembled and 'in curve' with plati-kote spray matt paint over spray primer. I notice that you have used a neutral grey... so my question is... would white be too bright?... even if I chose eco mode on the pj? In your experience of course!

Second question... what is 3D like? have you tried it on such an acute curved screen?

I've ordered a pair of 144hz shutter glasses to watch 3D movies on a flat screen, but wondered what it was like with AC on the SuperFOV screen you have... I understand that 1080p is limited to 24fps in 3D mode if I use a certain mode.... and can't imagine I'll use that due to such a poor framerate... but if it looks great and the immersion is OK... maybe.. just maybe... I'll convert..

12. Jacopo Belbo

Jacopo Belbo Gamer

Hi!:)
    I follow this Topic with a lot of interest and look forward to see your progress...

For what I know: normally they use a light grey because it gives better black level. But probably it is not needed anymore with modern projector...
    I post a couple of link instead of trying to explain with my poor english...;)

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57582241-221/the-big-picture-projection-screen-basics/
    ... In the early days of digital projection, gray screens were common. These "negative" gain screens improved the black level, a problem with early digital projectors. These days, contrast ratios and black levels have improved enough that I don't recommend "negative" gain screens...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm
    ...Gray screens were invented to compensate for the low contrast projectors of years past. But with today's high contrast models, we favor the use of white screens unless you have chronic uncontrolled ambient light...

13. MrPix

MrPix Racer

Thanks for the information Jacopo, I'll try white to start with as I am keen to use the eco mode on the projector anyway.. if it turns out too bright, I'll add a coat of matt grey and see how it goes from there.

I'm hoping to have the screen fully assembled by Saturday evening so will be able to stat painting it then.

14. BMASTER

BMASTER Hardcore Simmer

Damn, this is awesome!
    Now I want one too xD
    Why do I have to be so poor -.-
    But I'm a little concerned, the projector is 3D-Ready but as far as I know, HDMI can't handle 3D & 60FPS. You probably don't want to play in 3D, but I would love to do so with such a setup^^
    Well even with my single screen if I still had my 3D-Screen.
    I'm pretty interested in your opinion about 3D on this setup.

15. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

in your face oculus rift! .. this is amazing!

16. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

you could sit lower/move eveyrhing else higher if height is an issue,can't you ?

17. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

Hey man I've been busy, sorry for the late response. Yes, white will be "too bright" because the angle at which the light hits the curved sides of the screen promotes this tangential washing-out of the image. Basically black levels are terrible. I went with a fairly dark N5 grey, and specifically because the w1080st pj is so bright, it makes the highlights appear 100% white and the black levels are awesome.

N5:
    http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0082/5252/products/N6268554_medium.jpeg?v=1319667883

I haven't tried, but I can tell you it has to be used at 720p for a max refresh of 60hz. 1080p won't be available above 24hz, and pixel density is already pretty iffy at the 1080p level.

MrPix likes this.
  18. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

One can dream of a proper camera output!

19. martcerv

martcerv Alien

That looks frikken amazing good stuff, Ive only raced infront of a large projector when trying out this motion rig.

Great immersion and amazing feel but the projectors low res at that size really killed it for me, cant remember the screen but it was quite a few years back so maybe it was only a 720p projector though even trying the 60 inch 1080p screen the distant resolution just struggles. Sitting so close the pixels just were too big and the entire image was quite blurry in the distance.

I use a 27 inch 2560x1440 screen atm and love the res but yeah its not even close to your setup which probably id be happier with anyway due to the FOV and not being like looking throuth a small box infornt of the windscree. I really want to get something like this but then also if they could make a 2560x1440 rift I think that would be a great option for most.

I dont even have a room where I could make a setup like yours but the rift would provide a similar if not better experience especially being in 3d and with tracking. I havent used one yet but think that will be the way to go but next best would have to be a setup like yours in higher res and 3d would be the dream but cost and size of that compared to a rift just makes it a bit silly for me.

20. MrPix

MrPix Racer

I see you have added an antiglare coat to the wheel :)

Thanks for the answers, I think I can put up with the pixel size (my screen will be smaller than yours as I'm now targeting a 150 degree 77" arc by 33 @ 21:9 (1980x822) after messing about quite a bit with it. I got hold of some cheapo warp software, so I'll give that a shot first.