1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Suspension and Spart... setups, I mean setups!

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

No need to apologise for long posts. This is great.

2. baboon

baboon Alien

Very interesting read. Thanks Aris.

3. Alpinefd

Alpinefd Racer

Thanks Aris for the insight !

Do these cars have minimum ride height rule that officials check in paddock ?

I wonder if that’s also why they setup with bumpstop as primary tuning tool
    So they can use softer spring and let the ride height lower at speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Borbor

Borbor Racer

There is a min ride height in Blancpain, and it's per car pending on the specific point.

You don't necessarily run soft, because then to get the roll stiffness a big bar needs to come into play. The answer is it depends. Some cars have a very slow bar MR to begin with that we have no choice but to run stiffer, esp tracks with high grip, high lat loads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Aristotelis likes this.
  5. Alpinefd

Alpinefd Racer

going alittle off topic here =)
    I realize bumpstop and packer tuning is a must for modern race cars, but i'm trying to to get my head around why they prefer to do it this way.
    because i think bumpstop is a very difficult tuning tool for ride stiffness right? it's a progressive spring rate, and i think quite hard to set accurately.

if keeping the aero platform stable is the reason, but do these GT cars have that much DF where aero platform is that crucial?

6. Borbor

Borbor Racer

Give you an example.

Let's say you are running a wheel rate of 100N/mm in the front, and you front bar rate is 20n/mm

Your bar adjustments are fixed in steps, and your springs are fixed in steps because of the list of homologated springs that came with your car.

The driver wants more front end support, but increasing the front bar stiffness swung the balance too much to the front, so you can't stiffen it further. Stiffening the springs to the next step is not ideal because of tire deg. What else are you gonna do?

You don't have a choice except to go Packers and rubbers. As a matter of fact, Packers and rubbers could give you and infinite adjustment flexibility because you can play with where / when they engage. It's a finer adjustment than springs / bar, but is more time consuming initially to set your car up around.

7. Alpinefd

Alpinefd Racer

i think bumpstop is more of a blunt tool rather than a fine adjustment tool, the bump stop rate is progressive, and you can easily end up with rock hard super stiff rates when compressed hard if you are not careful.
    where as a spring is linear, so it's a lot more accurate for setting up

8. Borbor

Borbor Racer

Not unless you run out of travel, which obviously you are trying to avoid.

I do get what you are saying, which is why personally I still reach for my springs before I reach for my bump rubbers, but there are certainly guys out there who does the reverse and can make their cars go just as fast.

9. Hey @Aristotelis , could you explain to me what means the value in bumpstop rate? Because I'm whatching your second stream (Understand your car) and you have said that the cars can go almost in the bumpstop at the front because the stiffness of the bumpstop isn't linear, so why does it have a fixed value? Is the max stiffness it can provide? How should I set up this value?

10. The value is the force the bumpstops provide when they are compressed by 10mm from their full extention.
    As I understand they provide an hyperbolic stiffness.
    Anyway in his last stream with ferrari, at Misano, he explained the bumpstops.
    Also something is going to change about that with the new update

11. Ohhh so what you change is a fixed point of the graphic, that's clever design!

Let's see when 1.4 arrives :D

12. Claponi

Claponi Racer

Interesting video, explaining in a very comprehensive way car dynamics and setups influences

Cirith Ungol and Salvatore Amato like this.
  13. Cirith Ungol

Cirith Ungol Simracer

Great video ! Unfortunately for them, our teacher @Aristotelis already explained a lot of it in his TL;DW videos :p