1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Suspension and Spart... setups, I mean setups!

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

That's not how it works. I think you're overthinking it, it's far more easier to the user than what it sound. Also the things you can change in a GT3 car are quite a bit, but not that much, it's not like GTE hell.

You'll have to raise a tiny bit the ride height on the setup and that's it. Looking at the telemetry on the end of the race, can of course make this dead easy and reliable, but we will talk about telemetry when time is correct.

Of course it will change, we're talking setup screen. Why shouldn't the ride change while on track?

What? I think you misunderstood something, nobody is ignoring fuel weight or anything else.

2. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

Ignore me

Just read your answers above and i understood that this is settups on screen not on track :)

After_Midnight likes this.
  3. Aristotelis

no worries. We'll have plenty to discuss and explain ;)

4. kasperski95

kasperski95 Rookie

Are tyres and fuel settings separated from the others? Tyres and fuel need to be set to each race individually, while other settings usually remain unchanged.

[I think the best way is to divide setups on 3 categories: FUEL | TYRES (compound, camber, pressure, toe) | OTHER SETTINGS (suspension, aero, ...).
    By doing so, player can quickly set up the car like that: Spa: | 7_laps | Rain_10 C | Rain_Safe.]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  5. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

But that also potentially gives the player the impression that one setting has no impact on something else. Does the setup screen tell you what was automatically adjusted?

Everything else sounds great.

6. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

sorry Aris but i don't understand well...

example:

-i have an "A" setup, with 60mm / 70mm ride height front / rear. Certain camber/caster/toe angles, certain stiffness suspension (springs and dampers) and bla bla bla Ok? I have this setup with 15kg fuel.
    -Then i try with 80kg fuel ,and as you said, the setup (angles / stiffness / height) will remain the same, ok?

But under the hood, what is changed to compensate the additional weight?
    I mean, the system has auto-realigned angles, springs + dampers, ride height all together?
    Or just angles + ride height?
    Or some others?
    The suspension settings (springs and dampers stiffness) will be auto changed?

Have i understand nothing of your post??? :D:D:D

AlleyViper likes this.
  7. SunBro

SunBro Alien

Ever since these blog posts began, i've been having two emotions:

Hype beyond belief

Worry. Worry? But i was hyped right? I'm worried because the more i read all these, the more i suspect a very solid and detailed manufacturer data will be required to make this all work the way they were intended. While AC physics could be made to feel good with calculations by the modders, i suspect all these insane data requirements will scare off many modders in the future. I know this game won't support mods but i'm already thinking ahead ;)

8. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

I think this is the case here. Hence perhaps another reason there's probably not going to be any modding. I remember in the other post there was a comment along the lines of "we are trying to help you set it up, but we can't share the actual manufacturer maps cause that would breach NDA". Also in this post he mentions that certain manufacturers have tried their real setups on the game. I'm a little worried as well, but the signs are really good :)

9. liakjim

liakjim Alien

The weight stuff confused me.
    Let's say I put 50litrs and go for a spin.
    I return to the garage with 10 ltrs remained.
    Then I add 1ltr and the car will automatically will soften the coils in order to stay on same level?

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Salad Fingers likes this.
  10. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Maybe this gets to far, but how about this idea?
    1. Raise fuel to race level
    2. Setup is adjusted in the background to maintain ride height etc.
    3. Now you can choose between full/half/empty state and get the readout accordingly without changes in the background

IMO that would make it easier to see what kind of changes you have to expect and e.g. what ride height you need to test to see how the car would feel when it's empty.

The second question is about the tyres and aero. You said that we're talking about mm changes.
    So if your tyre changes by 1mm, might it be that at some point the car will behave strange? Not because the tyre is worn off (or at least not only), but because aero (splitter/diffuser) suddenly isn't working as expected anymore?
    Couldn't that lead to misinterpretations, that people think the tyres are completely done, but actually it's the aero they should be worrying about?

Poloman likes this.
  11. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I'm loving the sound of this.

12. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

good thing, because in AC1 it was difficult to setup a car without any help due the bad tipps. This seems very helpful :)

13. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

screw that, I forgot something here: if you wear the tyres down that much the ride height will increase much more due to the reduced fuel load, so it won't be an issue.

14. Aristotelis

Just to clear out.
    Wheel rates, bumpstop rates, dampers etc are not changed, never ever.
    Alignment (caster and toe) and rod length that defines ride height, can change (in the background) to remain to whatever values you the player has chosen.

15. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Perfect.
    It's what i wanted to hear.

16. liakjim

liakjim Alien

So Aris, if I choose harder coils, in AC Ithe car will rise altering the geometry and also alignment.
    BUT
    if I do the same in ACC the geometry will not change since the "mechanics" will change the rod length to avoid that. Right?

If I add weight ? You said that coils will not change so in order to prevent the car from lowering , the "mechanics" will again change the rod length? Do we want that?

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

17. Andrea Lojelo

Andrea Lojelo Radiator Springs Racing Team

Thanks for those nice blogs, Aris. Fantastic work from you, Stefano and the whole team.

Just one question: will we have springs frequencies and critical damping values in the setup screen?

18. Aristotelis

Yes exactly that.
    Also for the second part of your question, yes you want that because there are also ride height limits, so you don't want to find you car under the limit.

Tim Meuris, ALB123, Gevatter and 5 others like this.
  19. RS10

RS10 Simracer

What if ... there was a box one could tick to "fix" the setup (or alternatively turn off any automatic adjustments) in order to test the setup for low vs high fuel between the beginning and end of a stint, or allowing people who are insane enough to play around with everything to do just that?

(Although the worn tyres at the end of the stint might also have a big impact and testing the balance with fresh rubber would be counterproductive (?) ... on the other hand one would probably have some worn set lying around after getting the setup right anyways)

20. HammerHomicide

HammerHomicide Simracer

Any chance to include possibility to type down setup notes? Like in good ol' Nascar 2003 :D See image below. Couldn't find an image of the actual 'setup notes' screen but hitting the button opens it up. Basically just a blank space you can type in to.

But yeah, having a little space to write down thoughts/changes I've made/whatever, which are saved with the setup would be great. Thus after running some test laps or returning to the game, it'd be easy to check what was changed and how much and revert them back in case they didn't work. This of course under the assumption the ACC garage/pit screen doesn't keep track of the changes made.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I've always had hard time trying to remember how much I changed something :oops:

[​IMG]

Also, if this has already been discussed elsewhere, my apologies. Haven't been to the boards for a while.