1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

suspension vs ARB to combat understeer/oversteer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Jynnantonix, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

I'm pretty comfortable with setups and what everything does, but one thing that's always stood out for me is whether to adjust ARB or suspension to counter understeer / oversteer as they seem to do the same thing.

Lets say I have an understeering car, what will be the difference in handling of softening the front suspension vs softening front ARB. I can't tell the difference.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics The suspension acts weirdly over the Bathurst fast bump Feb 18, 2024
    ACC Physics Why the Ferrari 296 has no suspension? Aug 20, 2023
    ACC Physics Lambo Evo Front Suspension Question Jul 19, 2022
    ACC Physics Ferrari Setup Screen Suspension Telemetry Bugged? Mar 17, 2022
    ACC Tools Help with my Motec suspension Histogram? Jan 1, 2022
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Implementing multilink suspension Oct 6, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Visual bug MC Laren 720S GT3 Jota [precision error slightly moving the suspension, also ALT+TAB) Jul 22, 2021
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Suspension units for Setup.ini Apr 19, 2021
    ACC Physics front suspension Porsche Apr 14, 2021
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Help Understanding Suspension Behavior Mar 1, 2021
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Custom suspension geometry for drift car help Dec 15, 2020
    ACC Physics [FIXED in 1.6.2] Tire / suspension stuck inside the car after hitting curb Nov 21, 2020
    ACC Physics race-ending tyre bug [wear-driven puncture ruining suspension geometry] Sep 2, 2020
    ACC Physics Suspension graph is now broken in setup Jul 15, 2020
    ACC Physics Help with flat suspension histograms - MOTEC May 3, 2020

3. Rigel

Rigel Alien

ARBs only affect lateral behaviour, while springs have an impact on lateral, longitudinal, and vertical dynamics.

mms and LeDude83 like this.
  4. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

Right, but the question remains when would you choose ARB's over suspension adjustment and vice versa?

5. Rigel

Rigel Alien

If the car is fine under acceleration and braking in a straight line and over bumps I wouldn't mess with springs, since I can isolate the cornering balance with the ARBs.
    The opposite is not true though.

mms likes this.
  6. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

That makes sense, thanks. btw love your signature, something people say all the time that bugs me so much! Another one that gets to me is 'I broke too late'.... aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! :mad:

aphidgod and Rigel like this.
  7. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Next you should do a similar one about "fun" and "funny."

8. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Hardcore Simmer

You definitely need to think about what sort of understeer/oversteer you're getting ie entry, mid corner, exit, high speed, low speed and so on. Different changes are needed for all above situations. It's often not about arb or springs.... camber, toe, bump, rebound, aero are all in play here. Think about weight transfer in the car also. Oversteering into a corner... you could reduce front camber or stiffen front arb, when in fact you need to stiffen front suspension due to diving under brakes. Exit understeer, you may soften front bar to increase front grip when in actual fact the car is squatting in the rear under power, unloading the fronts and you actually need to increase rear bump. Sorry to make it more complicated but there's a lot of factors that can cause handling issues and adressing the root cause rather than just trying to increase front or rear grip is the solution.

9. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

In my high opinion...

You got to use common sense with the law of inertia(newton law) when it come to spring rate to obtain balance during acceleration & braking based on the weight distribution of the car to obtain balance.(Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to any change in its state of motion.)

More mass(resist more), more spring rate, less mass(resist less), less spring rate.

If you combine both they will compress at the same speed, based on the mass.

The G force of multiplier of the requirement of the physical object to any change in its state of motion to support. You can use the current brake balance setting as a reference. It's a bit of a guess work around.

You can use the damper to adjust the speed since in most case braking force is higher than the acceleration force which lead to slight imbalance.

If the car is correctly setup, the car lap faster & also easy to drive regardless how bad is your inputs.

SidewayzShuffle// and paul_wev like this.