1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic TH8A tension screw

Discussion in 'Steering wheels discussions' started by Bas Cats, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Bas Cats

Bas Cats Rookie

Dear AC drivers,

Received my TH8A shifter last Monday.
    Wow what a difference to drive with this thing.

Only thing is I wanted to adjust the gear tension. I know this is possible by adjusting the screw hidden in the hole on the side of the shifter.

Found this screw so for so good.
    Now I wanted to adjust if clockwise so tension would me more heavier.
    But it's almost impossible to turn the crew clockwise or counter clockwise.

Is it normal that a lot of force is needed to adjust this screw. And how for can you normally turn it. 90 degrees, 180 or 360 degrees.

Hope you can give me your thoughts on it.

Thanks cheers Bas

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Fat-Alfie likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Thrustmaster TH8A Jul 5, 2020
    Steering wheels discussions TH8A upgrade mod for realistic shifter Dec 10, 2019
    Steering wheels discussions TH8A upgrade mod for realistic shifter Dec 10, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Th8a Apr 29, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals T500RS and TH8A Shifter: swapped configs in controls.json file? Dec 31, 2018
    Steering wheels discussions Help !! How can I use again my TH8A shifter on AC???? (Now with a FANATEC CSL ELITE PS4 Wheel) Apr 10, 2018
    Steering wheels discussions T500rs w/th8a shifter how to Jan 13, 2018
    XBox One Discussions TH8A Shifter Help Dec 12, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues TH8A shifter completely stopped working in AC Oct 3, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Logitech G27 vs. Thrustmaster TH8A shifter Aug 28, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues TH8A Settings Good, but not shifting Jul 8, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues AC recognises T300 and TH8a but I need to do setup wizard every time Feb 4, 2017
    Bug reports XB1 TH8A Not Working Jan 29, 2017
    Console Lounge Th8a, shifter not working Jan 28, 2017
    Steering wheels discussions TH8A H Pattern compatible cars Dec 26, 2016

3. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

From their manual "full turns are enough to go from one extreme to the other" :)
    I just tried and its a little resistence but not so I need to force it.

4. Bas Cats

Bas Cats Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciated . But what they mean by full turn? One round of 360 degrees?

5. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Turn it as far clockwise as you can without force, then you will feel when its maximum because it comes to a stop. At least I think its maximum, havent tried to force it more than that in case it will break. :(

Heres the manual:
    http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/manuals/th8/th8a_shifter_manual.pdf

To avoid damaging the system
    - Stop tightening the screw when you feel strong resistance.
    - Stop untightening the screw if the stick becomes loose and wobbly.

Bas Cats likes this.
  6. paul_wev

paul_wev Hardcore Simmer

I agree it is stiff, it has some threadlock on it I believe so that it doesn't fall out after many gear changes. It is a spring plunger and once you get it moving I think you will struggle to get half a turn in and if you could it would be to tight to change gear. So I would say about 180 max?

T300rs, t3pa with Bodin load cell brake conversion, t8ha, ps vr

LeDude83 likes this.
  7. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Yeah there's threadlock stuff applied and yes it was very hard to turn for me, too.

I had opened mine once because it felt loose. The mechanism is of great quality but they cost-reduced away an important screw that stabilizes the lever. I put some grease and a nylon screw in the empty thread - good improvement. But it gets loose after some time. Had it for 1.5 years and I feel it's time to open it again, clean it and tighten the screws again.

The screw you can access from outside does only affect the forward/backwar movement btw. Left/right can't be adjusted unless you change or mod the centering spring.

Horus, paul_wev and kofotsjanne like this.
  8. paul_wev

paul_wev Hardcore Simmer

I got another spring plunger and put it in opposite the original one and I tighten them together.

Bas Cats likes this.
  9. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Thanks for sharing. I tried the same but it wouldn't tighten the mechanism as the springs in the plungers I had were too loose. It allowed the mechanism to swing so I tried a normal screw. It worked well but I didn't want the shifter mechanism to wear due to steel on steel. So I installed the greased nylon screw instead - feel is a lot better guided and the screw will wear instead of the shifter. Only downside is you need to tighten the nylon screw every once in a while.

Bas Cats and paul_wev like this.
  10. paul_wev

paul_wev Hardcore Simmer

Good idea

LeDude83 and Bas Cats like this.
  11. Bas Cats

Bas Cats Rookie

First of all thank you guys for all re feedback. So I'm not the only one having issues with this screw.

About the nylon screw: you exchanged the original tensions adjustment screw with a nylon (plastic) one? Are there some pictures available? And maybe someone can tell me the exact specifications of the screw .

I saw a lot of mods already on the internet. Did any of you installed already some modifications for a realistic feel. Short shifter or rubber band mod.

Have to say this shifter does make racing more to the real world but doesn't make it easier

12. paul_wev

paul_wev Hardcore Simmer

Yes I've also got a heap of rubber bands in mine too (reminds me that I need to replace some of my bands)

13. Bas Cats

Bas Cats Rookie

So this mod is for the left to right movement. Does this mod create a more realistic feeling?

What if you use sequential shifter in stead of H pattern? Does it affect this feeling?

14. paul_wev

paul_wev Hardcore Simmer

Look up the rubber band mod on you tube, some bands are for side to side and some are for back to front. Yes in my opinion it feels better with a bit of patience and trial and error on the amount of bands. You need to get the same amount of tension on the forward movement to the rear obviously , or it will start to pull you out of gear.

15. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

For me the general feel of the shifter is realistic enough so I haven't tried any rubber band mods, yet. The user adjustable screw is plenty enough (maybe once it has been loosened from the threadlock) to tighten things up at least forward/backward. But when I think of my RL car it is indeed a bit stiffer to move the stick left/right...might try something here ;-)

As for the nylon screw: no, you're not replacing anything, only adding the screw. The shifter comes with the screw removed from the thread...it's just a hole (maybe they wanted to save money?!?). So you can safely add the nylon screw to improve the guidance of the lever. It will "swing" less as you shift with the nylon screw.

16. nox67

nox67 Rookie