1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Thank You Stefano for Coding VR

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by vegaguy 5555, Nov 11, 2016.

1. elchshooter

elchshooter Hardcore Simmer

Yes. Gasses can be a nuisance for sure.
    Sry Dean :D:D

mms likes this.
  2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

LOL - doh! I wish I had proofed that now but, it's still applicable! :D

elchshooter likes this.
  3. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

Thank you Stefano for all your work. What an extraordinary talent. (Not a fan boy).

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  4. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

So : As some of you looked like to in the past, I'm not particularly aware of those things. In only a few points and a few words : is it really worth it ? I just tried Playstation VR a few days ago at a friend home, and of course it looks to be cool, but personally my "video game" tendency can be summed in 3 categories :
    - WW1 and WW2 planes simulators (Rise Of Flight, Il2 Sturmoviks series) : I have a Track IR 5 for this yet.
    - Racing simulators (classic cars mostly, and only AC atm because it's my best experience from far) : I don't even use Track IR for this, but I could certainly make a suited setting for. First time I tried, it looked quite nauseous to me.
    - Strategy games that would get very little benefit from such a thing... :D

Other games than that are only for a bit of fun with friends or to kill a bit of time at low personal investment, but I'm not interested in. Do you guys think I would consider the 3D headsets ? :rolleyes:

5. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

I would also like to thank Kunos for their support of VR. I know they weren't personally enthusiastic for it but still gave us an excellent implementation even though it's integration into the UI leaves a lot to be desired. The fact remains that when it comes to driving it is an amazing experience. The quality of the AC VR world is excellent from the interior of the cars, to the realness of the actual tracks and the decent presentation of the surroundings.

Regarding whether anyone should get into it, I can only say that I think VR is an unstoppable force in the simulation world for driving and I presume flying. The head tracking is simply amazing and the quality of the visually is adequate. The quality of the visuals will grow as the manufacturers come out with higher resolution head sets, computer manufacturers continue to drive higher speed CPU's and GPU's and software designers find better solutions for the presentation of the VR world.

Sim racing is blessed in that as far as I can tell it is the most compelling use for VR. I certainly haven't played a compelling game in VR and haven't really heard of one. Someone will invent something that really integrates VR into an exciting game in a compelling way... when that happens then VR will really take off. In the meantime I think anyone who can afford the CPU power to run a CV1 or Vive and likes AC should take the plunge. I don't think you will regret it.

0ct0, HoiHman and vegaguy 5555 like this.
  6. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

depends if you're short or long sighted, can't remember which but my mate needs glasses and he was totally fine without his glasses in the rift

7. elchshooter

elchshooter Hardcore Simmer

Did he try and compare with glasses too? i'm short sightet (about 3 dioptres on both eyes) but i see absolutely perfect up to 40 centimetres. but through oculus everything i see is an unsharp mess without some optical correction (glasses or contact lenses). seems to be connected to the way the optical system works. thats btw the same experience all people with glasses shared with me, that tried my oculus without...

8. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Octane likes this.
  9. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Word.

I can confirm it's pretty awesome for flightsim as well.
    Have you seen that nvidia released lensed matched shading? I don't know if Kunos will make use of it, but it sounds too awesome to pass for the pascal owners.

10. Ted_R

Ted_R Racer

Thank You Stefano, VR is wonderful in AC :)

11. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

Ironically it was much more like iracing when it started out development & it was the feedback of the racing drivers that pushed them to having more grip (not more sales). Also when pcars was released the SETA tyre model was more advanced than AC, they actually built that model from the ground up because prev models from sims where too simple, AC is based on a brush model(i think) & physics has really been more of a steady improvement from the pre release to something that is now very good. I think they just about have everything almost right. I think if pcars has failed to win the sim drivers it has more to do with them doing there own thing or maybe employing race drivers. As you rightly point out Pcars did release a complete game with a good selection of cars & tracks single player career but most of all they released on console from the start.

Back on OT VR is really great in AC I hope they can find time to include a better UI & allow us not to have to use a mouse.

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  12. Tberg

Tberg Alien

A shame AC is not in the Oculus store, along pCars and Dirt Rally, surely a VR experience that shows what VR is about.

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  13. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

Well i guess it's because VR is still in beta?

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  14. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

For someone who doesn't like VR, Stefano really did a good job, maybe even the best. Hit this one right out of the park. Especially after the drilling he got last spring from guys with newly received CV1's in there hands.

For a few minutes there in the forum I didn't think AC would ever see VR coded.

What a loss that would have been.

Radiantm3 likes this.
  15. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Which is weird, as Kunos promised full support for VR, so I never really understood why VR was even on that wishlist.

16. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I want to recommend VR for everyone. It doesnt cost much, I bought a used DK2 and that was cheaper than a decent monitor. The picture is not like the one you see on the monitor but I have had mine DK2 for about a week now and doesnt bother me at all. Of course a better image is always good but its not a issue whatsoever. I just hope that everyone that play AC will be able to try it in VR, its a completely different game with it. Its so much easier to hit your braking points and know how fast you can drive in a completely different way.

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  17. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

Just asking but what is beta about VR in AC? What is missing? I know there could always be improvements but what makes Pcars full VR support compared to AC?

This is not a shot at you in any way.

18. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

things that spring to mind:
    no menu support, dont think it would fly with oculus' hand holding approach
    quite a few bugs, stereo rendering bug with pp on = not fit for the store in my opinion, pretty sure that is not good for your eyes
    1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 15 from here: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/vr-features-wishlist.34592/
    would need some sensible default graphics settings in vr mode with some tooltips on sliders that will kill fps in vr

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  19. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

I had paid $1000 for all my 24" triples screens. The DK2 is, by far, the best bang for the buck I agree. Just make sure to run VR on the darker side. I find it to reduce gagged edges.

Also, with the CV1, I notice, when peeking at the TV screen when in VR, that it looks more cartoon then in VR. VR looks to have more realistic textures.

Also, has anyone tried the OSVR HDK 2? It sounds pretty good and it's cheaper.

kofotsjanne likes this.
  20. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

Ok! That's a pretty good answer.

ears1991 likes this.