1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The ACC Benchmark Thread

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by LeDude83, Nov 18, 2018.

1. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

Good results from the different RAM speeds.

Indeed, even some documentation states certain CPU handles some specific speeds (2400mhz, 2600mhz), it looks like speeds above the specs makes a difference on the results. I see a considerable difference from the 2400mhz my i3-8350k is suppose to use compared to the 3000mhz speed I currently have.

LeDude83 likes this.
  2. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Yep. I ordered new RAM with 2400 but after finding out those huge differences I ordered 8 more GB of the 3600 RAM I already have. It seems that you can run RAM speeds way above spec without any issues.

3. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

4. tbhockeyboy

tbhockeyboy Gamer

Do we expect framerates to improve at all as development continues? I keep turning my settings down to try to get a decent framerate, but it's still struggling, especially at night racing. I get fine frames in other games like PC2 or F12018. Obviously we're still in early access, im just wondering if performance is expected to improve noticeably? Otherwise I may need to look at new GPU :(

5. MakeMeLaugh

MakeMeLaugh Simracer

Unfortunately, so far in EA nothing changed. Maybe a miracle will happen when the game releases and it's gonna be optimized, but yea, performance is pretty bad at the moment, nothing you can do but wait, don't buy hardware because of one game that is not even close to optimized before it releases.

6. tbhockeyboy

tbhockeyboy Gamer

Thanks. I'm hoping they make significant progress here... I don't have the strongest PC out there, but it should be able to run reasonably smooth with an i5 / 970.

7. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I'm pretty sure that the FPS will improve. Kunos will want to target a wide user base including mid-range PCs and AMD GPUs. Should it remain so that you need the best HW available to get decent FPS, this will surely hurt their sales.

Furthermore, given that many of the graphics settings don't do anything right now, I'm pretty sure there's still a lot of work to do. I just found out that even textures between low and epic makes 0 FPS difference (and I couldn't spot visual difference, either). So right now, if you run medium settings everywhere, chances are high that without knowing you actually run high and epic settings everywhere.

My findings so far:

Foliage: all the same from low to epic
    PP: all the same from low to epic
    Mirror quality: the same from low to high
    Texture: all the same from low to epic

So you can imagine that when proper options for "high" will be added for foliage, PP and texture this should unleash quite a lot of FPS performance. Right now even if you set "low", you actually run "epic".

Feel free to check if what I write here is true - it's my findings from this benchmark.

alex bonner and tbhockeyboy like this.
  8. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Hi fellow racers/optimization enthusiasts :)

IMO 0.6 is a leap forwards regarding performance and visual quality. Given the various additional video options we have now, it seems unreasonable to try and match the settings prior to 0.6. However, I chose settings that look equal or better to what I had before, in a subjective way. I ended up with this (attention: frame limit was off for the test run):

ACC_0-6_Video_Set_Basic.png

ACC_0-6_Video_Set_Advanced.png

The result is:

2019-03-04 22:20:37 - AC2-Win64-Shipping
    Frames: 4063 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 67.717 - Min: 59 - Max: 81

This is ~10 FPS more than what I had before with settings that looked worse. Congratulations to Kunos for this good optimization job!

Edit: @pankykapus, @AC Support, @Minolin, @Lord Kunos

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    sissydriver and f_deutsch like this.
  9. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

A few notes:

- Mirror resolution was hardcoded previously, and the old setting corresponded to the current LOW stage. High and Epic are very heavy. Mirror quality didn't change. Unfortunately the mirrors didn't get any better, we just allow for higher resolution for mirror enthusiasts.
    - The Advanced Sharpness Filter is a post-process filter that sharpens the image. It is heavier than the Sharpen slider and it shouldn't be used in parallel, it's more like an either/or setting.
    - Materials quality is a new setting that used to be EPIC before (pretty much the only change in terms of defaults, apart from the unwanted EPIC mirror res)
    - TU and VF both used to be enabled, disabling them is good for VR performance
    - Foliage LOD helps with the pop-in but HIGH and EPIC are quite taxing
    - Bloom defaults to same as before, just exposed
    - The camera dirt effect is just to tone down the visual camera effect at night, no effect on performance

Sat7, Jack Bancroft, tjr and 10 others like this.
  10. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Thanks. So how to set Foliage LOD and to where it was before 0.6?

11. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Ok, to my current best knowledge, this config is equal to what I had prior to 0.6. Actually, the basic settings are probably even higher now than what I had before - I remember turning view distance and Foliage to high instead of epic at some point. Now I set them back to Epic.

@pankykapus please check the Advanced settings - is this how the default was before 0.6?

ACC_0-6_Video_Set_Basic.png ACC_0-6_Video_Set_Advanced.png

And the result is really good:

2019-03-05 18:07:05 - AC2-Win64-Shipping
    Frames: 4002 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 66.700 - Min: 56 - Max: 75 (delta 19)

For comparison purpose, here's the last result from before 0.6 on the 19th of January:

2019-01-10 14:27:51 - AC2-Win64-Shipping
    Frames: 3609 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 60.150 - Min: 47 - Max: 88 (delta 41)

That's a FPS increase of roughly 11 % and also a significant improvement of FPS stability (look at the delta numbers between max and min).

So unless Panky tells me that my settings are all wrong, I would like to confirm the CPU-bound perfomance improvement. The image seems a lot more fluid now and also, the dry daytime visuals - at least at Monza - look very nice, crisp and atmospheric. I'm really happy with this update.

Attached Files:

12. pankykapus

Bloom was 0.3 and mirror resolution was hardcoded as what is currently MID.

LeDude83 likes this.
  13. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

You said earlier that mirror res was hardcoded LOW. Please confirm correct version.

14. pankykapus

I was wrong, it's MID, it was a long day.

15. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I can imagine and I don't envy you ;-) Hope you get some well-deserved rest soon.

Will update result ASAP.

sps_for_race and sissydriver like this.
  16. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Ok so I changed that and this is what I got:

2019-03-05 20:47:06 - AC2-Win64-Shipping
    Frames: 3874 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 64.567 - Min: 54 - Max: 73

That would be a 7 % FPS improvement. However, I believe that I didn't run View Distance, Foliage and PP at Epic before...I think I ran it at high. Result looks like this:

2019-03-05 20:52:46 - AC2-Win64-Shipping
    Frames: 4054 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 67.567 - Min: 56 - Max: 78

So IMO there's a FPS increase between 7 % and 10 % and also, the FPS are a lot more stable.

On top of that, by tweaking some of the additional settings, everyone can now gain more FPS without losing too much visual quality. I like it.

Now I'm interested in the other guys' results here.

sps_for_race and sissydriver like this.
  17. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

i have a 6700k and a ryzen 2600 at home, i was wondering if ACC would take advantage of the extra cores on the ryzen or whether it wouldn't matter

thanks

18. Crashy

Crashy Rookie

2019-03-06 14:11:42 - AC2-Win64-Shipping
    Frames: 3144 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 52.400 - Min: 46 - Max: 61

EDIT - specs in sig

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    LeDude83 likes this.
  19. Pani De Pani

Pani De Pani Gamer

Use 10 threads in my i7 5820k but i dont know if more cores will be faster

20. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

This is the thread that can deliver the answer:

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/the-acc-cpu-benchmark-thread.53720/

You can browse the old results in the table in post 1 but you'll be better off waiting for fresh results given the recent CPU optimizations.