1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties.
    Dismiss Notice

ACC Blog The ACC Rating System - PART I - We want to help you improve

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Minolin, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AC_RAF

AC_RAF Hardcore Simmer

The most important thing about this conversation is, as Minolin said, that the CC is a moving average.
    So nothing that could be ruin because this numbers are continously changing.
    So you could be at 80% than your friends could (would) mess it up a bit and low it down to 56%. But after a week or two of good driving you could reach 80% once again...
    So nothing dramatic...

Kopiller and D.Jankovic like this.
  2. About the safety and skill ratings. In other game(s) the 90% of the lobbies have them turned off.
    So what's the point of the ratings if basically almost all the multiplayer lobbies don't filter player fairness and skills??

I'm ok if you can turn off the rating in a offline mode if you want to test or let some friend/wife/cat drive without affect your ratings.

but pretty PLEASE don't put an option to disable ratings in multiplayer lobbies (at least public ones) PLEASE!

jim jones and baboon like this.
  3. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Uh guys calm down please. As I said, if it turns out that you feel it is necessary in the end, we'll take actions.

Yes. I'm afraid we can't follow your solution of forcing the things always-on, because you will find many, many negative incentives on that path - but we are aware and will try to find our own way to solve the underlying issues.
    After all I'm not spending so much time inventing all of those ratings and concepts just to see everybody vaninishing in the no-rating-free-for-all servers. However this is delicate, and I can see why others didn't take the risks involved.

4. That's a "controversial topic" for sure.
    Always On has one big bad side and it's about being a deterrent to play online for some, maybe because they are afraid to be into the bottom of the ratings for whatever reason (even if it's not their fault,sadly)
    But if the "no ratings" lobbies become an habit for my experience the final result is having a lot of people spending most of the time out of track, being involved in a crash with other players every lap or even griefing.

I don't even know how to balance the two things in a game, pleasing everyone. But i think putting the possibility to turn completely OFF the ratings has more downsides for everyone.

jim jones likes this.
  5. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Hardcore Simmer

Good solution would be having official servers and always running with the rating on. Something like GT sport maybe ? daily races etc.

and than allow people to create servers and enable disable them. and hopefully we will have easy option just to click and host servers from our PC`s

6. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Ya, let's just wait and see how it turns out. Please come back to the ratings we have, still a few releases until we have to deal with the multiplayer part in a whole.

paulieGTR and D.Jankovic like this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

I have had little idea, I suppose nothing original, and probably already considered by devs or someone else. And in case there already is that kind of thing then, sorry, must have missed.

What about having a floor for PC ratings ? Lets suppose you'd enter the Leaderboard when you would do faster lap than 2'00'00, or whatever fast enough, but not too difficult to reach laptime. The only reason why I thought about it was that there will be a lot of one time tryers, game collectors and gamers like that who aren't going to do anything rather than just try a couple of laps, and there probably will be a lot of them, and they will alter the ratings, well possibly. Unless total majority will be putting at least a little bit of effort.

BATINA74 likes this.
  8. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

Yeah i see what you're saying.

Although, i believe that anyone that puts a clean lap together deserves to be put on the leaderboard, irrespective of their pace.
    If you set a minimum time to qualify for a place on the leaderboard, you set a precedent and where does that cut-off time end up.

Leaderboards are meant to be set up to encourage folk, well that's the psychology behind it.
    If someone sees their time among others that are round about the same pace, it gives them incentive to try and get quicker.

sry if i've misunderstood you, in which, disregard.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Leeuwtje, mms and Minolin like this.
  9. Bienlo55

Bienlo55 Rookie

Ratings are very important to create a clean and nice race in multiplayer. See the brilliant Minorating rating in AC.

Whitout predefined ratings the multiplayer will be a disaster.

chksix and D.Jankovic like this.
  10. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

Yeah that's right, but the idea would be to push the "I don't even care" laps. But I don't even know how many of those could be there, perhaps that would be insignificant. Just if 50% is faster than 2'00'0 then only the rest 50% is actually competing, then practically the PC is scaled down by 2, so your 90% really means 80%. Butif lets say only 10% is slower than 2'00 then it doesn't mean much, that's just 1/10. I just think just getting into leaderboard could be a tiny challenge itself and at a very symbolic laptime. But I don't care about it very much, everyone might be in a leaderboard, it doesn't matter that much :D

Minolin likes this.
  11. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

Any.. one, that cares enough to do a clean lap should be on the leaderboard, irregardless of time. :)

How do you differentiate between the, "I don't even care" type folk, from the genuinely off pace lap setters.

Kopiller likes this.
  12. Bienlo55

Bienlo55 Rookie

The solution is simple.

We need many enthusiastic simracers and the ratings don't have to discriminate anybody.

But the ratings will have to create large groups of people with similar abilities and experiences.

No rookies against super fast aliens. It doesn't make sense.

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

I don't mind to race against much better drivers than me, I think it is even better to have stronger people around for a challenge. But in the roadmap it is written that matchmaking is planned to be in.

@paulieGTR True, perhaps somebody is just mega slow.

paulieGTR likes this.
  14. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

Matchmaking... i'm with you here bud.

I hope it's not strictly focused on racing people that's all round about the same pace as yourself.
    I mean... how you ever meant to learn to be quicker, or to be more consistant for that matter.

I'm p1sh at hotlapping, yet i can hold race pace with a lot of people that are much quicker than me.

In AC... i saw a lot of the supposed, real quick hotlappers, that couldn't race around people to save themselves.
    In fact, i know for a fact.. that some people were more interested in setting pb's during a race, than the actual racing itself.
    Maybe some sort of interesting algorithm can be put in place, to calculate someone's potential, when in a race(even against faster opposition).

Just because you can hot stint, hotlap and race real quick against AI, it doesn't mean someone has racecraft and spacial awareness around
    human counterparts.

Matchmaking in this sense, holds no interest for me. :)
    It really is an interesting subject for sure.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    mantasisg likes this.
  15. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

Yeah but matchmaking might be much more than just about the pace.

Minolin and paulieGTR like this.
  16. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

Here's hoping so.

17. Neilski

Neilski Hardcore Simmer

Yes, I think we can trust the mighty Minolin to see past raw hotlap pace ;)
    As Paulie points out, racing is sooo much more than hotlap pace. In the real world you generally only get points for your finishing spot...
    Also I seem to recall that Minolin has already mentioned an Elo-type ranking system, which I imagine will be based on races rather than qually or other.

mantasisg and paulieGTR like this.
  18. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

Neilski likes this.
  19. Bienlo55

Bienlo55 Rookie

@mantasisg You are a good racer and so you won't disturb any fast racer. Here there is not the difference.

The problem comes out when rookies just stop in the middle of the track or they don't know how to react to the blue flags. Otherwise fast drivers disturb the unexperienced ones when they push them from behind and the fast ones are not even in the race, because they came late in the session.

In other words I saw a lot of strange behavior from every kind of players.

We are at the moment about 5'200 gamers in ACC. Three or four groups will be already a good start.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  20. D_Rod

D_Rod Gamer

@Bienlo55

There's no punishment (except for booting someone from a server), that's why you'll have some people who will turn around during a race a go head on into everyone because "they can't catch up to the leaders." Those type of gamers usually feel entitled and can't figure out why they suck at something, so they'd rather spoil it for everyone else.