1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The beginner's problems and various questions

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Christy, Mar 19, 2020.

1. BILL JONES

BILL JONES Gamer

I find to get faster it helps racing with faster racers online and start learning their lines and braking points ;-)

2. Christy

Christy Gamer

Agree with you, but provided you watch a video or be in observer mode in their cockpit.

3. Christy

Christy Gamer

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  4. mystek

mystek Racer

Seriously u are using this point of view to drive? After 10 secs of video I noticed:
    - completely lack of precision in steering,
    - lack of courage when exiting corners (you have to muuuch faster push throttle),
    - NONE/ZERO brake points - you just take off throttle and softly push brake pedal - be more aggresive, you have to learn limit of car by spins, overshoot brake point etc, not by softly push brake pedal,
    - still don't know racing lane on Zandvoort,
    - Change ABS to 3, TC leave to 5

PS: you didn't do your homework - didn't watch youtube, look how people SMASH brake pedal, they are aggresive but smooth as well, and precise!

LATE4APEX, Burnleyhome and Pandora like this.
  5. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

with all respect - @mystek is 100% right - a lot(!) of basic stuff missing. no offense, want to help you.
    watch aris videos. from the beginning. and practice.
    have fun and dont give up.

Piret2000 likes this.
  6. Christy

Christy Gamer

Could you give me the link to the videos: Aris?
    thank you

7. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Burnleyhome and Christy like this.
  8. Burnleyhome

Burnleyhome Racer

Mystek is totally on point.
    At braking points, you should be off throttle and FULL on brake to 100%. This is a step change from 0% to 100%.
    When at your turning point (need to have a reference point as well), release the brake to 25% and turn the car.
    When the car is 1/2 way to the apex, release the brake to 0% and coast through the apex.
    When the car is 1/2 way past the apex, slowly press the throttle.
    When the car is in a straight line, press the throttle to 100%.

Once you have mastered the above, you need to modify how much brake vs turn-in you can use, which speeds you up. I think Aris used this explanation - Imagine that the steering wheel has 2 pieces of string. One to the brake and one to the throttle. When the steering wheel is not turning, you can press brake and throttle to 100%. When you are turning, the strings reduce the max amount of brake or throttle you can use.

Most sim-racers use the cockpit view for immersion. Your wheel has FFB, so you should be able to feel the forces acting on the car, which is AMAZING.
    I'm a midfield racer and I can get 1:40's at Zandvort (not really practiced alot on this) and prob 5 secs off the alien pace.
    Have you got Motec running?
    If you do, I can get some data from my driving (along with a vid) for you. This way, you can see the difference between throttle/brake between us (I'm no expert).
    I already have some if you want to change tracks to Silverstone or Hungaroring.

mystek and Piret2000 like this.
  9. Christy

Christy Gamer

I agree with you, so I'm already going to change the way I brake.

- That said, I tested the 100% brake at the braking point, but I find that at the moment, I have trouble managing the exact amount of braking.
    - ex 100% brake 1s and my foot releases the pressure at 70-50-20 or 10% and either it slows me down too much or it is the opposite, and it is for this reason that on the video I 'posted my braking is exactly as you describe it, I expected to receive your comments on this subject and I thank you.
    But the hardest part remains, find the exact dosage.

As for the other comments indicated, I will of course think about it, but the most urgent thing for now is that I manage to brake according to your advice. ;)

I would resume the other points when that of braking is successful.

Merci beaucoup pour le lien des videos Aristotelis.:)

10. Burnleyhome

Burnleyhome Racer

Getting the correct braking points are essential to this. Find a reference point (Aris has a video about this in Kylamai) and use that. Full brake and see where it gets you.
    If you overshoot your turn-in, then next time brake 5m earlier.
    If it looks like you brake too much, then towards the end of the braking zone, release the brake to 20% until you get to your turn-in point at your turn-in speed. You actually do not lose alot of time this way.
    DO NOT (what I tend to do), is press the throttle again to get to the apex. What this does is make the car unstable - think like a rocking chair, which means that the car is not level so you cannot have max tire grip for the corner, therefore you will slide or spin while taking the corner compared to if the car was level.

Being consistent and precise is the name of the game and the more you are, the more potential you have. Muscle memory helps, which is why the fast guys have 100's hours on this.

You have an amazing attitude and keep having fun.
    Racing name = Chris Booth so if you see me online in a race.. say hi.

Christy likes this.
  11. Christy

Christy Gamer

yes I have Motec, but I use it basically.
    But having your 'motec' file so that I can observe your way of braking it would be super interesting for me and compare it with my file.
    that would be super informative a thousand times thank you Burnley

12. your braking should always be the same.. you basically want to slow the car as fast as possible, EVERY time.
    That's why racers talk about "braking point".. that's what you should be concentrating on.
    This is the mental process to follow for EVERY corner:

- Choose a brake point, use any object on the tract as a reference, could be distance meters, trees, billboard, other marks on the track. Brake there as hard as you can.

now 2 possible outcomes can happen:
    - you manage to go through the corner and hit the apex at the desired speed. In this case, make a mental note, and for the next lap, move the braking point slightly forward depending on how "easy" the corner felt.
    or
    - you can't hit the apex or complete the turn without the car getting too much out of shape. In this case, you simply do the opposite and, next lap, move the braking point back depending on how much out of shape you were.

You basically repeat this over and over at every lap as you adjust not only for basic track knowledge but also for changing car (fuel, tyres, damage) or weather conditions.

Another thing that I've noticed is that you are not shifting up when you should but you are very late to change up. Use cockpit view and the leds on the wheel/dash to detect when you should upshift. These cars are heavily influenced but rules so bringing them to the limiter before shifting means leaving precious time, don't do it.

EDIT: Forget about Motec for now.. it'll just add confusion. Learn the basics.

13. Christy

Christy Gamer

I am a little excited in front of the steering points that I have to work on but I will proceed in the order of your advice.
    1) I work on my braking and will post a video or several very short video 1 lap, just to show the points. And when it is ok according to you, I will add the point concerning the fact that for each turn, I must find a point of reference, because this is the 1st time that I have heard of this, and I did not quite understand how to assess this?

14. Christy

Christy Gamer

I like your observation, because I was waiting for this.
    If you watch my video well I force myself to pass the reports at around 7000/7200 rpm why am I doing this?
    - Because by observing the others, I noticed that they were pushing the engine speed and that it should allow to be faster!
    But if you think that my approach is an error, it really interests me to know which rule applied to pass the gear ratios in an optimal way, because currently I am just looking for an answer to this question.
    merciiiii

15. the rule is very simple.. when you see the RPM indicator blink.. change up, they are set to indicate the optimal shift points.

The reason why in (some) these cars you need to switch earlier than you think is because the engines are regulated to make sure they all perform in a competitive way.. the way this is regulated is by using air restrictors which lower the point at which the engine will deliver max power.

sissydriver likes this.
  16. mystek

mystek Racer

What I noticed more:
    - Zandvoort is hard track to learn because it's really bumpy and tight. Monza is good for beginers because it doesn't have much corners, it's wide, and before corners you have a lot of time to think and prepare, but it depends of you of course,
    - from Your movie: 8:56 to 9:01 - what is this? I understand You are using manual gearbox? You don't need to rev it so much, when rev clock starts blinking change gear without take off gas pedal, just push button on your steering wheel,
    - like I said before - change your point of view to see cockpit, You will see how precise you can be. This camera is good for Need for Speed :), and give us movie from cockpit view please, because we cannot see what are you doing with steering wheel,
    - 0:44 and 7:56 - You had more than 7 mins to learn that next corner is right corner, so you should be on left as possible, you are learning really slow. 7 mins in only this movie, but You spend much time before on Zandvoort

What is good:
    - I think You are using nice throttle, it is not bad, You are doing it smooth when exiting corners, You feel when car is understeery and You take of throttle etc, this is maybe not really good, but not bad,
    - your braking style (soft style :)) is generaly bad, but In corners is good for trail braking and typical racing rule "don't brake in corner", Your soft style prevent you before spins, but You have to learn when You can be aggresive and when gently with brake pedal,

17. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Each car has its own RPM range and also its own RPM limit. Do not hold on to a RPM that others can reach in another car.
    If you drive like in the video in the exterior view, you can at least see on the right side when the RPM indicator changes from yellow to red or starts blinking.
    If it is red, you should change gears. If it is flashing, you are close to the limit.

Translated using deepl.com:
    Chaque voiture a sa propre plage de vitesse et aussi sa propre limite de vitesse. Ne vous accrochez pas à une vitesse que d'autres peuvent atteindre dans une autre voiture.
    Si vous conduisez comme dans la vidéo en vue extérieure, vous pouvez au moins voir sur le côté droit quand l'indicateur de régime passe du jaune au rouge ou commence à clignoter.
    S'il est rouge, vous devez changer de vitesse. S'il clignote, c'est que vous êtes proche de la limite.

18. mystek

mystek Racer

#Christy - I used this techniqe (rev up much more) in Lexus, because I saw it in other guys but seriously - it doesn't helps you, even if it gives you MAAAYBE 0,030s per lap, so it does not have completely sense. Change gear when it blinks, that's it. Don't focus on changing gears so much, it's not drag race :)

Christy, AndyK70 and LATE4APEX like this.
  19. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Correct,... as Lord Kunos posted,...

,..."the rule is very simple.. when you see the RPM indicator blink.. change up, they are set to indicate the optimal shift points".

Plus,... if you leave it too late, you increase the chances of hitting the rev limiter,... then you defiantly loose time.

mystek and AndyK70 like this.
  20. mystek

mystek Racer

Don't try to be more smart than race engineers are, simple rule :)

Piret2000 likes this.