1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

CARS The Bentley Continental GT3 - 1st gen

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

The first-gen Bentley Continental GT3 car is... a tricky beast to say the least. The car is heavily based on the street version and this translates in certain aspects of its handling characteristics.

Although the big V8 twin turbo engine is placed behind the front wheels, the car still has more front weight bias. This, together with a higher center of gravity than other GT3 cars, makes the car more prone to roll during turns and results in more weight shifting. On the other hand, the Blancpain Balance of Performance (BoP) permits bigger front tyres for FR cars and those do help the Bentley to have a surprisingly good turn in.
    The front weight bias provokes a moderate understeer in mid turn, but it is easily manageable by pressing a bit more on the accelerator and letting the big engine rotate the rear end and point the nose towards the exit of the turn.

Speaking of which, the 4.0-liter V8 twin turbo engine is obviously heavily restricted, but the BOP permits higher torque and power outputs for cars with significant frontal area and thus high drag. As a result, the engine delivers more than 650Nm of torque for a very wide range of revs and around 550bhp of maximum power.
    This is both a blessing and a curse as they say. The massive amount of torque is putting under big stress the fat rear tyres and more often than not, manages to break traction, aided by the fact that the rear end is lighter than the front. The traction control does help a lot but it is very intrusive doing so. Lower TC levels are needed in order to get all the potential performance of the car, but it seems that its response is not linear and at lower levels the torque and power can be delivered very violently and can make the rear wheels spin a lot before intervening. When this happens, the very big body of the car can become quite a handful to control, showcasing a completely different aspect of its handling characteristics and becoming much more difficult to control.

The aerodynamics, as usual, play a big role in the performance of any GT3 car. The Bentley is big, there is no denying about it. The frontal area creates a lot of drag and this is only partly counterbalanced by the powerful engine. Certainly the car accelerates very fast out of the slow to medium speed turns, but at higher speeds it simply hits a wall. Not much that can be done about it.
    The very long front splitter is another aspect that you must consider. Although it produces quite a big amount of downforce, it is very prone to touch the ground and especially the kerbs. The splitter is very strong to be able to sustain the downforce but on the other hand it means that when you hit a kerb with it, if it not breaks, it can make the front end jump and instantly lose all grip from the front end. Take into consideration this fact when setting the front ride height and the rake of the car. A compromise is needed to keep the splitter off the ground while still producing enough downforce. The very same compromise might introduce a moderate understeer at high speed turns, when the power isn’t enough to make the rear end aid the turning.

Finally, the high drag figures, certainly do not help much with fuel consumption, and the tyres might suffer from all the torque available. Nevertheless, with the proper TC and ABS levels, the car can easily achieve impressive laptimes, but in order to find out the extra hidden performance you need to lean less on the electronic systems and more on your driving skills.

For your viewing pleasure, here's a nice onboard video of a testing session. You can hear the rear end struggling for traction when the driver lowers the TC.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2018

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Bentley Continental GT3 2018 gearing ratios wrong vs IRL 2019/2020 Nov 19, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Bentley Continental GT3 2018 - Bentley Team M-Sport #108 E3h E6h - Incorrect driver names Jun 10, 2020
    ACC Physics Bentley Continental GT3 2018 - weird Gearbox Issue Feb 19, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars bentley continental gt3 2018 左舵问题 Feb 9, 2020
    ACC Blog The Bentley Continental GT3 - 2nd gen, 2018 Jun 8, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Bentley Continental Hot Lap + Setup @Hungary 1:44.145 Dec 15, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Bentley Continental GT3 Hot Lap + Setup @Paul Ricard 1:54.819 Nov 18, 2018
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Bentley Continental Endurance Lights Oct 15, 2018
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Assetto Corsa Competizione Bentley Continental GT3 bumper glitching issue Oct 15, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Chris Harris Drives: Bentley Continental GT3 at Spa (TopGear) Aug 26, 2016
    3D car models Bentley continental gt3 - anniversary edition and celebrating over 32000 downloads Feb 20, 2015
    3D car models 2014 bentley continental gt3 Oct 28, 2014
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Bentley GT3 Animated steering wheel not moving Jun 23, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars J. Gounon w/ Bentley gloves on 21/22' AMGs Mar 2, 2023
    ACC Physics Bentley Cont. 2018 Front Axle Jan 4, 2022

3. Rehooja

Rehooja Simracer

This car is going to be a thing or two to handle...

Question: Where is the ACC Blog about the Lamborgini? :D

4. BEsnake

BEsnake Racer

i realy like this way of coming into this game. Allows me to properly test every car so i actualy know what car suits me best. Otherwise i'd probably only have a fwew hours with each cars beforehand. Now im pretty much learning all there "quirks" before i move on to the next car in line ( i just get overwelmed otherwise with the amount of cars i'd have to test)

Seems like this bentley will be a hand full for sure compared to the lambo should be one hell of a new expierence

5. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Sounds like poop! :D

Look forward to smear it all over Misano!

6. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

Now I wonder if it is going to be most entertaining or worst car or both :D

That onboard video is very clean though is it fast lap ?

7. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

A little bit impressed by this:

The splitter is very strong to be able to sustain the downforce but on the other hand it means that when you hit a kerb with it, if it not breaks, it can make the front end jump and instantly lose all grip from the front end. Take into consideration this fact when setting the front ride height and the rake of the car. A compromise is needed to keep the splitter off the ground while still producing enough downforce.

And to be honest, reading the Aris's post it seems to me a not so good racecar in terms of performances.
    But in the other hand, maybe it's good have a so different car into the rooster.

Curious + 100% right now...

8. Aristotelis

You're right, I should do it. Maybe I can make it tomorrow.

The car is surprisingly good and "easy" to push near the limit... it becomes more difficult (but not frustrating, just more fun) to find the extra performance.
    To explain it better. The Lambo is the precise one that loves to go into a line but then it won't change the line in the middle of the turn. You need to have proper driving technique to push it hard.
    The Bentley is more "fun". It will go in easily, and is willing to change the line during the turn. You can rotate it on the brakes and on power. But when you think that you know it and will try for the extra something by lowering the TC and smashing the gas, then it will bite you harder than you thought it can.

The great thing about Blancpain series is that... although not perfect, the BoP actually works. Completely different cars, in the right hands and in the right circuit, can win. This particular Bentley model was a very strong competitor a couple of years ago. This year not so much but it was used mainly by a gentlemen driver team, so laptimes do not make it justice.

9. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

I cannot wait to hear the Bentleys sound when driving this in VR! I guess that the Nissan and the BMW would probably drive in a similar way?

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  10. Nic Kowalski

Nic Kowalski Rookie

Thanks for the interesting description, can't wait to try this beast on track! The sound is awesome too. Don't know exactly why, but I'm more attracted by big cars, like this Bentley or the Nissan GT-R: goosebumps for this 2015 Mountain Straight drag race (at 7:00):

chksix, McNappa, domidomi and 6 others like this.
  11. pons

pons Simracer

Thanks ARIS!
    I remember the race at Brands Hatch was very good a few years back with Soulet and Soucek.

12. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Fully dynamic viewing angle in the mirrors, it seems...!? :)

13. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

I'm the same, I just love the bigger cars like BMW, Nissan GTR, Bentley, GT3 has so much variety.

Does the Bentley have the same steering wheel as the one in the video? @Aristotelis

Nic Kowalski likes this.
  14. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

In Paul Richard race Bentley was holding up good even leading the race at one point of the time. In the end racing against Lexus if you dont make mistakes you it can be good. And that is what happened in race...Bentley was holding on but smaller mistake and he lost position. Nice read as always

15. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

That was with the new Bentley though, not the one we are getting tomorrow.

16. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

just a bit better version :)

17. mkotechno

mkotechno Simracer

I'm a bit confussed, what are all the Bentley Continental GT3 models (years) and what are we getting tomorrow?

is 2016 the version used in 2016/2017/2018 and then the new one (future update) is the 2019 version?

18. Aristotelis

You get the 2016 model. The newer model (2018) will be released later

19. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

The version we are getting is the old Bentley, there is only 2 versions, the new one only raced this year.

New 2018:
    [​IMG]

Old:
    [​IMG]

Shaddix, Nic Kowalski and Aristotelis like this.
  20. Rehooja

Rehooja Simracer

Oh yeaaah. I'm so waiting for that Nissan GT-R!!

John Caetano and Nic Kowalski like this.
  21. mkotechno

mkotechno Simracer

So if the new version already raced this season, and with ACC we are getting 2018 and 2019 seasons, why are we getting the old version?