1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The Best Cockpit View - Single Screen

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by R3jn, Oct 31, 2019.

1. I think you underestimate the human brain and its possibilities to adapt. ;)

2. I also have one 27" monitor. I use 35 FOV, and my "distance" setting is the default -19. So you can almost the original field to see. You can it to adjust then with "height" and "pitch" settings.

3. redadeg

redadeg Racer

32" with 75 cm eye distance and a FOV of 50 (distance -21/Track IR) looks really okyish if i dont wanna use my Rift S.
    Using Dashcam on the Monitor and driver/Wheel cam in the rift of course.

Attached Files:

4. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

Sure, I could adapt to chase cam view too, but why would I?
    Immersion is important.
    Sadly on single screen big compromises have to be made, there is no better view, only personal preferences.

ohyeah2389 likes this.
  5. Gopher04

Gopher04 Simracer

27" monitor here and use fov 50, but would like to have the ability to change fov's for individual cars, not just one for all, hence the reason for using 50 fov, it the best to cover all cars for me, but if I had a choice would use 46 fov on some.

6. MTv

MTv Gamer

I use FOV 35 on a 27" monitor, with eyes 55cm from screen mounted at the middle of the T300 wheelbase (wall fixed). Distance -28 in cockpit view.

7. corey.rogers

corey.rogers Gamer

Using the "correct" FOV on a single monitor for some corners I lose site of the apex if I want the best turn in as I sit quite a ways from my monitor. On others I have no visual of the outside rumble strip and at times spend too much time turning the car rather than accelerating. I've chosen a FOV that allows me to see where I want to go and makes the game fun and comfortable. I don't only sim race so my PC is setup and positioned to satisfy my needs equally. The look with wheel option I use on occasion but with very low values. Mostly I drive from the dash as I have better visuals of the track.

ohyeah2389 and After_Midnight like this.
  8. Maciej Malinowski

Maciej Malinowski Hardcore Simmer

The only correct FOV is the correct FOV, calculated, even on the single monitor.
    Argument saying that u can’t see the apex is stupid because u should drive looking far more ahead that most people do.
    It all comes down to the vision-> you look at the apex even before the breaking poin, u switch your vision to the exit even before u hit the apex.
    Now u may again say that is impossible because u can’t see the bloody thing and because it disappears,
    And that is when correctly calculated FOV comes in. Because everything is at a real size u naturally know where it is relative to u, even if u can’t see it,
    That’s how u should drive -> looking ahead, feeling what is around u,
    Believe me I have small 24” monitor and 25deg FOV and hiting apexes and knowing where the car is on the track is just natural and far more precise that way,
    Of course u need to adapt but it will come fast and I can’t stress enough how important it is, both FOV and that u look far more ahead than u probably do.

9. Maciej Malinowski

Ok,
    And when it comes to seeing dash,
    Well seeing the track correct is far more important than the dash isn’t it?,
    just use hud display or u can run free app on your phone, it’s called simhub I suppose and recently sb made complete package of dashes for all cars in ACC.

LeDude83 likes this.
  10. Maciej Malinowski

Holy **** I didn’t realise I’ve just wrote so many words in English , just ask if sth wasn’t understandable

11. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

But how is this realistic?

25 degree FOV is like driving trough a telescopic sight. If it works for you, I'm all for it - it's just funny that some people even went as far as to patronise David Perel for him using a "wide" FOV as "not being real".

12. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I don't know what you mean. 25 deg FOV on a 24" monitor sounds about right. On my 34" I run a correct 28 deg.

tjr likes this.
  13. Maciej Malinowski

Because everyone is familiar with wide FOV they perceive it like a picture of what driver sees, not as a window to a virtual world, sure if u look at it as a picture it seems small because it contains little of what all are familiar with. But it’s what u would see if that screen would be a window that u are looking through
    Because its so different and at first seems weird people tend to assume that it’s just some bs, they don’t feel comfortable, of course they don’t , it’s different and need a bit of adaptation with nobody wants to waist time on.
    I took that time to adapt and and I feel comfortable with correct FOV, now if I have wide one I can’t tell the distances because they are not the same as in the real life, I can’t drive them
    I agree feeling comfortable is very important but after adaptation, not just trying for one session, u can be even more comfortable because everything is real size

LeDude83 and MTv like this.
  14. Maciej Malinowski

It’s like giving somebody fast and good car setup but it’s different from default what they are used to and they will still say it’s ****

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

It may be mathematical correct, but real drivers have almost 180° (pheripheral) vision.

ohyeah2389 and dajdosta like this.
  16. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

Plus a myriad other additional ways that all the senses are stimulated.
    ACC is an incredibly sophisticated simulation, but it is still a crude facsimile of real life.
    For some, me included, it is important to have the stimuli we do have as accurate as possible, and that includes the correct FOV.

GCCRacer likes this.
  17. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

But in real life you're not seeing that 180° view within a 60° sector in front of you. If you use much larger fields of view on a small monitor, it may look better to you but the perceived distances will be wrong. It's all down to personal preference and what you've got used to but there definitely is a correct FOV (it just looks quite narrow).

LeDude83 and Maciej Malinowski like this.
  18. Nothing else matter :cool:

corey.rogers and sissydriver like this.
  19. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

I think what I take issue here is with the wording of "correct FOV" as if it was an universal truth, when people write stuff like:
    ...so basically arguing that anything but "correct" FOV is wrong to use or simply a lack of skill.

I guess no one here drives his actual car with windows and windshield painted all black besides a square the size of a 32" PC Screen in front of him. So we can certainly argue what feels better to someone personally, but not what is more "realistic".