1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The Best Cockpit View - Single Screen

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by R3jn, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Maciej Malinowski

Maciej Malinowski Hardcore Simmer

Good to hear that

2. Maciej Malinowski

As far as I am concerned it’s like that in most sims

3. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

My understanding so far is that it's no photoshop cropping tool. The FOV formula, if I get it right, calculates the right "corrective lens" through which you can see the 3D space in front of you from your monitor in a way that does not distort it. So, unless there is a mistake in the FOV settings tool of ACC, if you calculate the correct FOV for your setup (display size + eye distance from it) you should be able to perceive the correct distance of an apex or a car, the correct height of an elevation change and so on. Which is, same as you driving in your car in real life, with the limitation of seeing only 1 image instead of 2 (1 from each eye as in reality or.. VR). Which in turn means your brain does not need to be re-wired to make up for a car that looks like 10 meters away and is in fact 2 meters away. But as someone mentioned our brain gets used to thick glasses so it can get used to whatever FOV. Below a crude representation of how I think it works. Any dev or.. optician to confirm or deny this?
    upload_2019-11-10_21-38-25.png

Pekka, Maciej Malinowski and GCCRacer like this.
  4. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

Just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that there is anything simple or "shortcut" about the way FOV is implemented into the sim. :)

I was just supposing that the FOV slider acts like the zoom on a telephotolens... which it definitly doesn't.

Maciej Malinowski likes this.
  5. Maciej Malinowski

Excellent visualisation, great job man :)

6. Now introduce 3d vision 2 into the equation, with variable depth, (100% for me) and convergence adjustment. You pancakers have it so easy. I'll go get my popcorn ready

7. I can't do so much math, but for my settings (t300, 27" and 75cm from eyes to screen) I just do this:
    - set the "follow apex" camera, some sim have helmet to remove some others don't
    - use the GAMEPAD to drive around the track and pinpoint what am I looking at in each turn
    - than I switch back to dash cam and with my wheel decrease the FOV to just see all the point-to-look each corner, decrease as much as you could. It will never be 1:1 real FOV
    - only after that I adjust vertical fov, seat pos etc etc

you can't drive what you can't see, as much as you decrease FOV you will be faster, the only thing stopping you from using 1:1 fov is that you should use a 49" curved in the same position, and we both don't have such screen

8. Maciej Malinowski

For me 1:1 FOV works even on 24” but yes, it’s hard at first to spot apexes but at that moment u should already look at the exit and know the position of the apex from looking at it during breaking period or even earlier, takes some getting used to :)

9. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

Dunno how you've come to this conclusion. Field of view, zoom (technically - focal length) and crop are all completely identical and interchangable.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  10. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

^Not sure I understood that sentence? :)
    That's what I meant - to me, it seemed that changing the FOV smaller would act like a zoom focal length. But contrary to the effect in photography where zoom changes the apperance of distance between objects, it doesn't do that in ACC.

11. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

If you're referring to the effect you mention at the bottom of this post, that's specifically because the camera is being moved between photos to maintain the size of the subject. Changing focal length does not have this effect, as demonstrated in the other series of images and explained in the text above them.

GCCRacer and Maciej Malinowski like this.
  12. Maciej Malinowski

Yes,
    The distortion only comes from putting that picture on smaller screen not from changing the FOV witch only takes certain amount of that whole picture and put it on your screen,
    Like the overall view of 360deg around is always the same, and the FOV shows the certain ammound from this 360degs

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

@BrunUK
    I thought this was a general effect of telephoto lenses, as in the "plane flys before moon" pictures where objects are oddly sized to each other.

14. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

If you take the same photo with a wide-angle lens the plane and the moon will look exactly the same, just smaller in the picture.

15. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

I thought it did that? That it works like a change in focal length, like using a wide angle lens as opposed to a telephoto one. If you want to have more stuff in your photo you use a wide angle lens and that creates a "pincushion" effect where the stuff at the center looks farther and the sides are super stretched. The opposite with a zoom lens. I thought the FOV works like this: you have a 3D environment, and you look at it through a "camera" (your monitor). With high FOV you should have that telephoto effect, where stuff on the sides is stretched and stuff at the center looks far away. This is why I was referring to the right FOV as the "corrective lens" that eliminates that pincushion effect. Aren't we saying the same thing?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  16. Maciej Malinowski

Probably we are all confused and saying the same thing not understanding each other too well :D,
    Well any picture can we distorted or not, for example high FOV can be perfectly correct if only it’s put on correctly huge screen,
    Side distortion comes after all from making those things on flat surface that is spread so much that the center of the screen is perpendicular to us and sides at at an angle,
    That’s why on triple screens when putin side ones perpendicular to us we need to reverse that distortion from the side of the image to fit that screen correctly:)

17. Maciej Malinowski

I have just done the test,
    Because my phone have both wide angle and telephoto lense, I have done photo of the same thing from the same distance and everything, literally no move, and after cutting out center from wide image to have the same FOV on both they are THE SAME, everything just the same image

BrunUK likes this.
  18. Maciej Malinowski

19. Maciej Malinowski

Oh the minor change is there but it’s because lenses are of course in different spots -> one beside another and it changes an angle of that vertical lines, but that’s just that, distance from black box to green train seat behind remains the same ;)

20. Magilla67

Magilla67 Gamer

Hello viffviff99, I just bought a Delanclip and I'm struggling to tune OpenTrack in ACC, while instead I had no major issues in Assetto Corsa. Would you mind sharing your configuration and maps pls? Thanks!
    Andrea