1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The Dark Side of sim racing- nothing serious

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by doamf, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Oh we can totally agree on that

2. boabmatic

boabmatic Hardcore Simmer

I'd be happy to get down to 3 seconds off the pace nevermind 2 :mad:

3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Nothing Serious... Ok :D

4. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

my lap times are pathetic, at least 3 secs off on all tracks. And I would love to do better , but can't because a) I am to busy enjoying myself, the sounds , the tracks , and the attention to details are fantastic, and with VR well its magnificent. b) Unfortunately I just do not have the time or the energy. I used to work with a pair of world class athletes and the amount of work they had to put in was unbelievable. I suppose its the same with world class sim racers. So long as I can take a couple of hours out to have some good fun in the evenings is all i need from this game.

5. Turk

Turk Alien

Understanding what your doing will help speed up the process. There are a number of videos and books that explain what your trying to achieve and how to do it. Just practising is going to make you better but practising the right way is like a bit of a fast track. I don't think driving fast is as intuitive as people think, so you need to learn from people who know what they're doing.

ignission likes this.
  6. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

I find the opposite
    I get bored so
    its not addictive as I do not look for that very first hit
    With Spring here, I am more inclined to be outside the veg in the SIM
    I ride, hike, race, walk/run, yard duty, fix cars, fix bikes
    I have for the most part dark and dreary winters, so its SIM time so I dont have to talk to the wife (So ya maybe Anti-Social) to a point

1t9of4.jpg

7. Adastros

Adastros Racer

well i feel bad with my 1 year and a half sims racing career lol

8. warth0g

warth0g Hardcore Simmer

I’m horribly slow, probably always will be because of lack of talent, but definitely always will be because of lack of time. I do think that I’m not alone here, and might ultimately be in the majority amongst the overall community. I desperately hope that ACC multiplayer, when we finally have it in all its glory, will be able to help us slow but clean racers have good competitive fights with the other snails.

Good luck to you guys with the esports thing, but it’s irrelevant to most of us. I really hope that real thought and time is being invested into helping to match make slow with slow. If so, you’ll have me as a customer for ever (and btw I’m pretty sure that us older, slower guys are also the ones that spend more too on rigs, DLC etc). I find iRacing a bit soulless but their matchmaking works very well and I’m hopeful that ACC could take some of that spirit and infuse it into the much more modern, dynamic sim that it already is.

I don’t think I’ve seen a recent update from the devs on how the MP will shake out and help level the playing field but if love to understand that better.

anthonylroy and fnegroni like this.
  9. renato63

renato63 Racer

Hi everyone,
    I'm slow, too, on all tracks my times are 4 to 6 seconds higher compared to the best times.
    For example, in Monza I ride at times of 1.52 - 1.53 but I have enough pace if not I make mistakes.
    But I'm respectful of the rules, if I see another car go faster than me, just I'm in a safe spot, I let it pass.
    It would be nice to be able to put together pilots who have the same rhythm maybe with it 1-2 seconds gap but clean pilots.
    I have always loved simulators since the 90s with "microprose formula 1 grand prix".
    I am now 56 years and maybe I no longer have the reflexes of the past but I assure you that I was slow even as a young man :D
    What I don't understand are the braking points.
    That's where I lose a lot of time.
    I see in the various videos of the aliens braking at T1 even less than 100-150 meters depending of the tracks.
    If I try to brake where they brake, I go along for sure.
    Please excuse the use of google translator.

warth0g, Radfahrer and D.Jankovic like this.
  10. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

I'm 40, and also do 1.52 in Monza.
    So it means if I don't practice well I will be the same in 15 years :p
    I found a good way to improve my abilities : watching race replays inside the fastest cars.
    By comparison I could see I brake too early, go sometimes on wrong lines, shifting my gears wrongly, etc... So much things to improve actually

renato63 likes this.
  11. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

And once you nailed down the "coarser" errors, you start the infinite hunt for the "small" errors, and I´m not using the term "infinite" easy handed here, you guys know that dedication can easily lead into fixation and then into obsession ^^
    But honestly said I´d rather have us all obsessing over a tenth here or there, than religion, politics and other "useless" stuff ;)

Chill, drive, keep that balance y´all .

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  12. Turk

Turk Alien

If you look at professional racing the back of the grid can be up to 2 seconds slower than the front. So being another 2 seconds behind that time is probably a good place for complete amateurs like us to be. I think we need to bare in mind we're comparing our times to professionals who do this for a living and put in the hours to practice.

I consider being 2 seconds off the top time a win for me. In my head that puts me on the grid with the pros. Anything below that time is great, but for the time I have to put into the sim I think it's a respectable place to be.

Kopiller and Freddie Seng like this.
  13. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

All this talk about slow, fast and Aliens. Well here is my $1.25 worth

Its a flippin SIM, it is not real, no matter what type of equipment unless yu have millions invested to buuild a simulator it is NOT REAL. It is however a very usefull tool to get frequented to a track "If you race" it is a tool to IMO better hand eye foot peddle control. But most of all its a SIM a $50 SIM with hundreds of $'s spent on gear. It will not make you a champion and for examples real world examples is players spank pros like Tony Stewart, but put them on a real track real car, Stewart owns them. Ask the Lemming that Nissan put in a LMP car after winning Grand Turismo, my point anyone can take last place. It takes years of Real Cockpit time in a Real Car building up to a real LMP car and not everyone can get there, luck him for winning a SIM and Nissan for giving him a chance.

Aliens, now it is said seat time, track time and investment! yes I agree, but one simple fact remains and I have seen it, Aliens are a breed all there own, they have within themselves to be a phenom at the very start, they simply get to hone their skills with Million $'s worth of machinery. Case in Point, Randy Mamola ex MotoGP racer, I watched this kid when he was just 8 & 9 then had the chance to get passed by him when he was 12 on a 125. The kid could spank any veteren on any track and is an Alien. One that from day one had SUPER HUMAN SKILL. For the sub human kind we are, we will no matter what the time, experience or expense tossed will never match an Alien Skill Set, NEVER.

I find it amusing to sit and listen to bench racing be it on a forum or around a campfire. The bull**** stop when the Green Flag Drops and with that there is always 2nd place the First Looser

14. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

You said it all.
    Even more frustrating than doing a "perfect" lap and seeing that I'm still 3 seconds behind the world record, is seeing how people on the internet just think it's easy being an alien.

People complaining that they're slow because they can't set up the car, because their wheel is bad, because their computer is slow and all that stuff just grinds my gears. You're slow because you haven't practiced enough to be fast, that's all.

Maybe you'll need 10000 hours to reach the lap times an alien reached in 5000, but if you practice enough you will get there. However if you just spend your time on the forums trying to find easy ways to be fast (which let's face it, don't exist) you're just wasting your time.

p.g.49 and Freddie Seng like this.
  15. PabloVND

PabloVND Racer

Ok with that but i see a lot more adiction to mobile devices and social media (also the politicians of our times) than adiction to simracing, and i doubt one adicction is a better than the other.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  16. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

everybody knows its not real, everybody knows its a simulator , everybody knows that ultimately its a game. However as all things
    everybody knows its not real,
    everybody knows its a simulator ,
    everybody knows that ultimately its a game.
    However as all things stand , we will race against each other on a platform that will be the same for each of us. and that's how we will compare ourselves, No one is stupid enough think that because they can do 1:50 around MONZA that they can do that in a Physical car; but that is not the point . The point is that we race against each other , and compare ourselves against each other , not another platform, which in effect is what real racing is.

As for Aliens , all i see are skilled drivers there is not inherent master race of drivers , just hard practice and experience

17. iVG

iVG Alien

If you don't see aliens around here then you don't look hard enough or you don't want to face the truth. Some are faster than others. Simple as. More importantly some are more gifted than others. Regardless of how much time some people put into something, they won't be able to bridge the gap... Even if it's just 1% that talent accounts for - take 1% of lap time and see for youself. That's more than a second per lap on an average length circuit. 1% is all that separate the good from the best. Same goes for all competitive disciplines and I mean ALL. Football, politics, engineering, software development... ANYTHING.

R1-Limited likes this.
  18. warth0g

warth0g Hardcore Simmer

.. and to be clear, I'm not in the least bothered that aliens are 4 or 5 seconds faster than me, that's fine. What I'm interested in is being able to race reliably against others of a similar pace. Of course, racing against AI is a reliable way to have close racing but I'd like to race with real humans too - but not aliens.

Arlo and renato63 like this.
  19. PabloVND

PabloVND Racer

I think some unrealistic force feedback cofiguration like specific hardware spring or dampers posprocess maybe can help some drivers to ultraprecision driving. If you see a real race you see events in the car control and drivers dealing with that. Also you'll see diferent gaps between drivers. On the other side you can observe for example iracing races with ultraprecise driving for 25 drivers in 1 second gap, and doing very regular times during race. I think you can achieve that with high precision hardware but you maybe drive ultraprecisely like a robot.

I mean, i m sure that in real driving if you push too hard you certainly feel to lose control danger but i dont see this many times in iracing videos. Also i think ACC is much better in that and much more realistic in car physics (walk thru pianos ;) and you see)

If thats true, some hardware with some specific software, makes you driving with an unrealistic precision.

Just thougts no cospiracy or wsthever :D

20. iVG

iVG Alien

You see close racing in iR because there is a working driver ranking/rating system implemented since forever. ACC has one that is more or less workable but not even enforced yet. So you get all sorts of people, both new to the game or simracing racing along the so-called alien or two on a server. Of course you can't have close racing or at least the chances of having one is very very low. I certainly have had a few battle bumper to bumper but they have fallen short quick because a backmarker doesn't know what blue flag is. Now you tell me, how is that to blame on equipment, physics or anything other than driver calibration through rating system? I just don't see it.