1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The importance of being well rested and focused

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by mantasisg, Sep 28, 2018.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

I wonder if anyone have noticed increased importance of being in fresh, rested and focused state in order to perform well as a driver ? Or being tired and distracted doesn't do big impact for you ?

Personally, comparing to AC, I feel like being in good state means quite a bit more in being able to drive well, as well as enjoying the activity. I think that is due to more subtle and deeper car handling and force feedback. Also liking the activity and being good at it is very important too, because it increases concentration. So the idea is that if you are too tired, or not enjoying what you do (and if you are too tired you probably will be less enthusiastic), or both, then you can not be very good, I think they also discussed that in Top Gear once :D

So how do you prepare yourself for really fast and intense performance with modern racing cars in simulators ? Do you do any preparation at all, or maybe you can do intense brainwork till your head is almost exploding, and then immediately sit into a sim and keep the pace ? :D

cerebralvortex and AmirHM like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Rim size/shape importance May 27, 2017
    Chit Chat Room The importance of fov Feb 9, 2015
    ACC Hardware Discussions I've about given up on my Thrustmaster TX wheel ever being seen by ACC :( Jun 4, 2023
    ACC Physics Anyone else finding the Alpine being much faster than any other GT4 cars since 1.9? May 30, 2023
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues My Console Controllers are being detected as a wheel Dec 29, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds DLC Challenger Pack Not Being Recognized Aug 27, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Menu button "up" being pressed constantly when driving under 10km/h Jun 21, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Game keeps disconnecting from Server after being idle May 10, 2022
    ACC Gameplay AI Behaviour while being lapped Apr 10, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Starting procedures being weird Mar 27, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Can’t get the FPS up with Triples, CPU/GPU not being used to maximum Mar 20, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Driver overtake people while being slower and doing slower laptimes Dec 13, 2021
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Stats not being deleted Nov 28, 2021
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues I'm being disconnected while everybody enjoys MP Nov 9, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Triple Screen Settings not being saved/read Apr 25, 2021

3. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

Drink two or four beer and try hotstint.
    Then you know why real racers dont drive drunk :p

4. baboon

baboon Alien

Being rested/fresh of course helps the ability of being focused over a period of time.

If I assume by "drive well" you aim at performing at your very best (A-game) then I can't follow the reasoning why it should be more important for ACC than for other tasks/activicties. Since you can't be focused above your maximum ability of being able to focus, for any task or activity at which you want to perform at your A-game you ideally want to be focused for the whole time of being engaged in the activity.

5. Im old (46) and i bodybuild , still pretty heavy (i did a 240kg decline bench press a week or two ago ) and i can honestly say im at least 1 sec slower when i have trained and feel battered . I definetly drive worse when im angry too , when im chilled calm and happy i do best .

sissydriver likes this.
  6. LRM

LRM Simracer

Strangely some of my best hotlaps time in simracing are when I drive when I have headache, those performance improvement are not simracing only! :eek:

D.Jankovic likes this.
  7. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

when i start driving and hotlaping i do couple of good laps and after few more laps can get close to those good ones..than i get mad and confused because i am doing everything the same most of the time(unless i do some small mistakes that i know off)
    and than just bad laps.. but this is definitely true i had a bad day few days back. and i was like i will play ACC i was nowhere near my pace i usually have. And i realised it left the game. :D

8. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

I have my gf sit next to me and... :eek:
    We put those high beams and blue cockpit lights on to simulate getting pulled over by the polis.

...i better stop before the banhammer comes out. :D

9. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

My current hotlap PB was after a bottle of wine.

katikomer and paulieGTR like this.
  10. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

preach it brother. :D

I've did some good laps on voddie, but eventually i just succumb.
    Not before the near inevitable, big off though.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

We have some interesting things here. So muscles after have stresses aren't as responsive, anger and bad mood may have negative impact on focus. As LRM stated having a headache not necessarily can be resulting in worse performance (I'd like to add that some of my best performances (not only simracing) were when I was hungry, or lacked a little bit of sleep).

@baboon I think ACC has slightly more punishing "over the edge" physics and features. Naturally driving is more demanding. I don't think it is very much harder, but enough to notice.

@D.Jankovic Some of my best sessions were when I didn't even try at first, some really slow laps at beginning and then gradually faster laps, I think rushing in is definitely in high risk just to get frustrated. Also to start with slower laps is more immersive than going out flatout immediately, mostly because mistakes themselves are immersion breakers. I remember when Fat_Alfie released Thomson Road and we were racing online Lotus 25 (it was great). Most were doing usual hot out laps, and crashing and crashing.... I started slow to build up knowledge about track and car combo and avoid crashes, I was very immersed and happy about the evening, while others were a bit frustrated about unusual amount of crashes.

p.s. those who drink, it must be allowing you to take higher risks :D There is a saying "who doesn't risk, does not drink champagne", maybe we should say "who doesn't drink champagne, doesn't risk" :D

paulieGTR and D.Jankovic like this.
  12. Nesja

Nesja Racer

Sunday I spent until 1 am improving my best time in hotlap mode.
    Monday I tried again but simply couldn't improve because I was too tired. Best I could do was 0.1 - 0.2 s slower than my best time the day prior.
    I went to bed earlier that night and Tuesday I improved my best time by 0.2 s again.

To me it seems to matter how many hours I slept.
    I need at least 8-9 hours to be well rested. 7 hours simply isn't enough.

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

Hamilton sleeps 6-5 hours ! :D Also, afaik he has some kind of sleep program, and people who helps him to adjust it, there are some video about it in youtube including interviews with him. He and other F1 pilots encounters big jet lag problems.

Of course only people with superb health will sleep so little, I need ~8as well, when I am doing at least a little bit of physical activity,eat well, and don't go to bed too late, then can do seven. I have a few friends who says to be sleeping 6-5, they are very energetic. If I sometimes go Kafka "Metamorphosis" and sleep 9 or even 10 hours, then it seems like whole day was meant to sleep, and it is all really messed up then.

14. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I have 2 kids, don't sleep and I still win 1/3 of my races, 2/3 in top3.
    While the above is true, yes I perform the best when I've had a powernap and I'm in better shape than no shape (running a few times a week).
    I wonder what potential I could've had if I lived a normal life with sleep or started karting as a kid like real racers do.

15. rd.king

rd.king Hardcore Simmer

The worst thing about being well rested and focused when you sit down to drive a sim...
    Is Saturday morning up early, decide to do a few lap before you start the day, your sharp hitting all the marks
    next thing you know the wife is calling you because supper is ready,
    WTF the whole days is gone.

jaxx_za and Tberg like this.
  16. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

My performance is also fluctuating. Some days, rested or not, I'm simply off the pace, and then on other days,...I'm much slower:D
    I wonder what potential I could've had if I only had a little bit of potential...

richard thompson and Tberg like this.
  17. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Man, life in luxary.
    I have to wait till the whole family is asleep before even thinking about simracing.

18. demonized

demonized Simracer

It more depends on the mood rather than physical condition. Playing with plastic wheel sitting in a chair isn't that demanding, you don't need to workout for it (unless you have trendy 9000nm wheels that crunch your workspace into singularity) but if you don't have appropriate frame of mind for it on a given occassion, you'll be worse for sure

19. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

Hats off to those guys who are very busy with their duties, and they still finds time to participate in simracing. It definitely takes a lot. This also means that most likely there is no such luxury, every day, perhaps sometimes not even every week, this makes me think of other thing - keeping shape. To keep at the very edge with those modern sharp cars really requires good shape, I think more than old classic cars, or street cars, which are not as much concentrated on such a sharp optimum performance peak.

@demonized No doubt about that, attitude, mood, determination.. everything important. I don't think you really need to work out for simracing, wheel is not that heavy really, no G-forces, your weight is not doing any impact... though being in good shape must help a lot anyway, even for better mood and so on...

Speaking of very busy, I often feel like I can not perform well if I have unfinished tasks in my day, that's why I do best in the evening. Most of us are driving in the evening, online servers such as Aloog or Streetfight used to fill up at specific hours in the evening. Time zones is an issue for us...

20. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

Witch also brings us to the point.. that is why we are not Aliens in this games hehe. While they get up and get behind the wheel and practice we have other sh*t to do before we get couple of hours behind the wheel.

But if we are to practice enough we can also be aliens and find sponsors and practice whole day :D

21. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

Aliens must also have their personal sleep coaches, nutrition coaches and so on :D

I remember baronesbc would come to race at Aloog sometimes, not too often, and then just destroy everyone :D There were some more aliens, but most of them seems to be simracing less as they get very good.

D.Jankovic likes this.