1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The inconsistency in FFB levels really lets AC down

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by SeeNoWeevil, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Yes with consumer level wheels it seems you have to accept a degree of clipping, mostly from hitting kerbs, or what's left is dull really really light FFB.

I do think some users are obsessed with certain sim elements almost to the exclusion of everything else ;)

Fat-Alfie and Horus like this.
  2. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

It is correct, in game gain clipping has nothing to do with the wheel. Hardware clipping is completely different issue.

3. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil Gamer

If I bring the global gain up to a level that gives a realistic level of self-aligning torque on say, the Huayra (this car may have changed, but at the point I tuned each car, it was very, very low). The Gallardo Superleggera will be clipping like crazy, on any wheel.

My enjoyment of the game went up ten-fold after tuning each vehicle's level with FFBClip. I went from wanting to refund the game to loving it. To suggest the developers don't ever want to hear feedback like this is ridiculous. They're not the delicate little snowflakes you're making them out to be. I've been a developer for years, listening to feedback is part of the job. I've not been rude nor pushy and I've made it quite clear I think the FFB implementation itself is the best there is. You're perfectly within your right to disagree. It still doesn't change my experience.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  4. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I start with a new car, do a couple of laps glancing at the pedals app for the red light, adjust the FFB gain to taste. That's all it takes, a couple of minutes or less.

This is compared to other sims like GTR2, GTL, RFactor when I've had to spend literally days tweaking the FFB...

5. TDS

TDS Alien

those differences are what make me not bored of the ffb ... :) each car feels a little sometime a lot different and awesome at the same time . that's what i think about it.

official car i use g27 profiler at 107 overall strength and 100 in game, zero fake effects and i never change any car specific ffb.

with modded content there are sometimes i have to up the in-game car specific ffb to 125 or 150 to make it more believable.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Fat-Alfie likes this.
  6. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

it was the opposite for me, turned out I was running way too little FFB, 50 or 60% off in some cases

7. Horus

Horus Alien

Global gain 100%, logitech profiler strength 107%, adjust each car independently by using the clipping tool, simples. I can understand you wanting it set somewhere near the ball park for you, but do you turn the AI chauffeur on or can you be bothered steering? I know that sounds harsh, but mate the wheel is calibrated for all not just you. It only takes a second to get it close, I usually drop mine in heavy cars down to 73% (in game) and on lighter cars about the 80% mark. If this FFB adjustment nearly made you give up the game don't even bother looking at the mirrors and thinking 'I would like to sort that FOV out!'

Not being rude, but come now there are far more important issues than having to press the '+' or '-' key. Like having a setup that you define as default, being able to delete setups in game, saving replays between sessions, shadows running away down track, no track rotation, skin selections, etc etc etc. FFB is perfect and is made more perfect by you the user, please just take those couple of seconds in the pits or driving down a straight to refine them for your personal preference.

Again apologies if my words sound harsh and abrupt, have a great weekend.

8. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

When did you try it? Was it a very long time ago? As that's what I used to think, it always used to suggest too low a value, but the recent versions (past year ++) have been bang on, and sometimes too strong for my liking (and I love nice high ffb)

9. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

Yes it was a long time ago. January 2015. I need to try it again.

Rift Racer likes this.
  10. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil Gamer

Not being rude mate, but you haven't really said anything of any interest here.

11. I just adjust it on the fly, just like I do on iRacing. If I see red during normal cornering, I turn it down. Simple enough.

Horus and Mogster like this.
  12. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

You mean my post?

13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Berney from SimX mentioned it recently in the Owners Club forums and he said it was being discussed in the iRacing forums.

I have no experience with OSW-type systems but, it's easy for me to see where it could be beneficial for those that like more fine tuning options. SC4 separates the signals into various effects that go well beyond the base software for OSW; whether or not that's of value to one is personal but, to me - I'd want those options with any DD system.

14. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

It it was that post, there were hardly any discussion. Liked the idea, but even if it happens it will be many years from now.
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/ingame-ffb-vs-physics.30463/page-5#post-631516

MMOs if closed protocol, Berger's API is only working with Argon and quite dated, not in use anymore. There is a hope that new SimiCube will have open source API based on Berger's. Too soon to tell.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Dean Ogurek likes this.
  15. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

You're likely correct about it actually happening and what are the chances of developers and hardware providers agreeing on a uniform standard - zippo.

I just mentioned it because Berney brought it up a couple of days ago in the SimX forums. He is still considering creating a version of SC for other uses related to telemetry and as a way to unify controllers, outguage apps and such. There really doesn't seem to be very much interest so far though.

Andrew_WOT likes this.
  16. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

It's great that AC aims to show realistic differences in weight of the wheel. But extremely few people actually own a wheel like AccuForce or Leo Bodnar. Most people use G27 or G25, so would be nice to have an option that removes all weight differences, and uses the full range without severe clipping on all cars. Nowhere near realistic, but anyway.. G25/27 and not even Thurstmaster T500/300 is powerful enough to produce realistic force range, without the lighter end becoming pathetically weak. If it was optional, people could still use current FFB or adjust manually.

But, it isn't really hard to dial it in, even now.. it's saved car specific, and quite simple really.

What OP didn't realize, that for owners of truly high-end wheel, AC actually does it right. There won't be clipping with these wheels, because they can deliver so high forces, that clipping is a non-issue in any car. And lighter cars will still feel hefty. AC has been developed with cheap Logitech wheels in mind, and developers use them too, but the default FFB settings in this game is currently ideal for servo wheels, not Logitech.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  17. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

I think FFB PP Stefano was talking about can help with that.
    And no, DD wheels as anything else are subject to signal clipping, it is not hardware related. You can set signal low and bump force in driver, as with any other wheel to avoid clipping altogether but that decreases dynamic range, it's like starting with low res picture and enlarging it, some details will be lost. So from this respect DD wheels tuning is no different from conventional belt/cog wheels, except AF that can also work off telemetry.

Dean Ogurek and Horus like this.
  18. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

If you turn the overall FFB down (from main menu) these direct drive wheels will give still strong FFB no? Afaik clipping isn't caused by car specific settings, but overall FFB strenght turned "too high", so that cars with heaviest steering start to clip. Problem is that ppl with G27 need to turn that high to feel anything in some of the lighter steering cars. But then they start to clip in some others, and have to tweak FFB car-by-car.

While someone with AccuForce doesn't need to tweak car-by-car, he just sets it from main menu so that heaviest cars don't clip, and then he's all set? Isn't this how it goes? I don't have DD wheel so I'm just assuming this.

But some amount of clipping isn't imo that bad, if the FFB never goes even slightly red (very rough turns/bumbs) imo it's set too low.

Horus likes this.
  19. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

I think you just need to reread my reply as I explained why this approach is not ideal.

20. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

A small amount of clipping shouldn't be an issue - especially if it occurs in extreme conditions such as going off track or crashing. You don't want any significant clipping under normal driving conditions.

With DD wheels, especially the high-torque units running at high force strength - you also don't want abrupt spikes as a result of clipping either; it can be a safety issue with powerful wheels.