1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

MULTIPLAYER The multiplayer doors (start to) open today!

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Minolin, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

With today's new version 0.3 of the Assetto Corsa Competizione update, we will do our first step in the (huge) multiplayer effort we are planning to do. This post probably contains two big news; Let's be straight-forward and open with the not-so-good:

This version adds the part of the multiplayer system that is very similar to the pickup server system you already know from AC1. However we have to limit the usable session types to Practice sessions only (that means no quickrace or race weekend).

You already know our roadmap for ACC is very tight, which doesn't offer much space for unforseen events. Sadly we experienced a series of those while creating the multiplayer infrastructure, so we ran late and therefore do not have the confidence and tests we would like to have at this point. To be absolutely honest, we even discussed about not releasing the MP in 0.3 at all. But we defined a set of features that is quite stable and playable - and in a huge team effort with endless dedication we could go for it. One of the very important elements in Early Access is that we can run tests and receive feedback very early in the process, so I'm quite happy that we could avoid holding back even a limited version.

Now let's move to the other news, some of them are not-so-obvious, especially in contrast to the multiplayer of the Asssetto Corsa 1.

I Server infrastructure
    Many consider the community servers acting as homebases the best things in the Assetto Corsa Multiplayer, the same for the easy and instant-fun pickup server system. So it was pretty clear that whatever we invent in ACC, it can only be complementary to the proven community/pickup system (and is obviously not part of "Basic" Multiplayer).

We will had out the server binaries (at the moment windows only) with this release, although it could take a day or two until we can add reasonable documentation. Due to our restrictions, there are a few options you can't use - we will pass a readme.txt for the start.

The ACC server is rewritten from-scratch, but isn't that different in it's total behaviour. I'm very confident you will find what you need, and be positively surprised about the one or the other option.

II Car selection characteristics
    In AC1, the server defined the available slots by car and you could connect into such a slot. In ACC, this technical requirement is no more, which means you can pick whatever car you want (except the server admin excluded certain car models). Technically, this is very tricky - it means you could have to load new cars while you are driving, which almost inevitably causes freezes. We aren't completely done here, but our current approach looks very promising. You will witness a small lag when a new car model is loaded, but only for the first time (after you joined the server). So if you are driving the M6, you won't notice that another M6 joins.
    However this is what we learnt from our tests; we are curious to hear about your feedback.

III Server list
    This early version already contains the server list and most of the functionality in a way it is meant to be for pickup racing - probably the biggest change in concepts you will learn about today.

If you allow me to exaggerate a bit: So far, you simply received a list of 980 empty and 20 populated servers, sorted the list by drivers descending and clicked the first one. Most of the data is ignored, and we couldn't apply much more than a few basic filters and finally sort by drivers.

In ACC, you won't plainly receive 1000 servers. Every server list is the result of a highly personalized ranking of the available servers, matching many elements to both your personal profile and your selected preferences. In the best case (and at the end of the road) you won't even start scrolling, but look at the top 5 and pick the one that looks most appealing based on your current mood.

But first let's look at the page; the server list page is pretty simple: Servers in a list, car selection, connect button - not much to explain here.
    upload_2018-11-14_11-11-5.png

Clicking on a server selects and expands the entry, showing a bit more information and allows a by-series car selection (we will see free, sprint, endurance lineups).

The selected server will display what you expect: Servername, track, session type, duration, drivers online.
    And what you maybe did not expect: (Steam)Friends online, Activity indication, "Clean server" indication, as well as optional requirements for Track Medals, Safety Rating and Racecraft Rating. The requirements can be set by the server admins, the indicators give a hint about the recent history of actual driving activity and drivers online as well as trust gained vs OBWP scored.

Below the car selection you will find an interesting button: "Advanced" opens an option page to adjust your personal preferences for the server selection/sorting. You will already find a number of options in three groups:

upload_2018-11-14_11-29-8.png

Weights different aspects of the quality of a driver, so you can decide on your own which one is how important to you. Do you rather go for much activity, clean racing or perfect pings?

upload_2018-11-14_11-30-15.png

Preferences will contain settings like the desired driver count - while most users will aim for numbers as high as possible, this can be used to seach for medium traffic servers which tend to be cleaner, and more suitable if your hardware struggles with many cars.
    At this point I already prepared the options to disable the SA or RC rating - so you can easily drive (or test) without the pressure of your ratings.
    When completed, this setting will obviously exclude servers where admins do not allow disabling one or both.

upload_2018-11-14_11-30-20.png

Here you can adjust how good a server is matching for you based on the track used.

The whole options have in-depth explanations, so make sure you have a quick read and setup the sliders to match your preferences.

Most of the parameters are implemented, but please understand that such a system a) can't be appropriately simulated in advance and b) the system needs lots of data and rating profiles in order to work well. So my expectation is that it will become better and better, but needs time to get there.

Now I will close and hope you can go out for a ride.
    Despite the stressful days and the dissappointing cut of the race sessions, I have to admit any MP test turned out to be quite fun - I hope you experience the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2018

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Bug reports Lap 0 Laptime is way off! Multiplayer Server Mar 17, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Unplanned multiplayer server outage Mar 13, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Multiplayer disconnected Dec 15, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Multiplayer disconnected Dec 8, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Render Thread 1 crashed whilst spectating multiplayer as server admin Sep 28, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer can't connect do multiplayer , no statistics in single player too Jul 29, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Multiplayer - An Error Occurred. Please Try Again Jul 13, 2023
    ACC User Interface Multiplayer list - full vs 0 time left Jul 3, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Connection issues in multiplayer after 1.9.3 May 26, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Multiplayer partial disconnect May 25, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Crashing on multiplayer May 22, 2023
    ACC Screenshots & Videos BMW M4 at Spa Multiplayer May 2, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Stint Timer Not Showing - Teams Multiplayer Event Apr 22, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer strange connection problems - multiplayer lobbys Mar 21, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Acc ps5 crashes when creating or joining multiplayer Feb 21, 2023

3. Minolin

<reserved for next updates>

Son and AurusCE like this.
  4. PiretSS2000

PiretSS2000 Racer

I'm sooooooooooo hyped! When are we going to be able to play it???????

5. Stefanoes

Stefanoes Gamer

Thank you for this post. I can't wait to try it! HYPE!!!

6. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

Disappointing no mp race but at least organised leagues will be able to manually set up a race over teamspeak.

mESCx and fear_scarecrow like this.
  7. edcoronag

edcoronag Gamer

You've got some interesting stuff going on!

Thanks for striving on this. As a developer I admire that you guys set so tight deadlines, share them with the world and push hard to meet them.

Pretty excited to test it! We'll keep pushing data and providing feedback :D

8. TDS

TDS Alien

roadmap is explicit saying "basic MP" for this release, wait one more month, if so, to get full race weekends working.
    ;)

9. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

Well it seems Minolin is disappointed as well so it sounds like they were going for race weekends for this release. My best guess at 'basic mp' was pickup servers without rating,ranking etc. Anyway never mind, still super excited to get on track with other people.

TDS likes this.
  10. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Practice sessions only may not be a bad idea.
    You are not intimidated to do well and you have chance to practice with other people on the track.

11. jim jones

jim jones Simracer

Most of the wreckers won't be in ACC for a while ....Hopefully by time they cross over all should be in order......Now let's practice !

12. trucidatio

trucidatio Gamer

13. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

Very interesting approach to multiplayer. More driver profile oriented. Way better to search on dozens of empty servers. Glad you guys ventured to this.

Ernie and Minolin like this.
  14. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

My guess was, that there will only be Quick Races without qualifying in Multiplayer, but ok...

Are Multiplayer races still planned to be released during this month, or are they completely postponed to R4?

15. Daniel Costa

Daniel Costa Racer

ufff. I see the usefulness of this choice, but having only this is a big no-no.

Keep that choice and name it "quick listing". But at least add an option to list every server with basic filters (full= yes/no empty= yes/no).

Joining empty/low populated servers is one of the main ways you can become a fan of a certain car/track combo.
    Suppose this was enabled for AC1 5 years ago, if the server algorithm always gives preference to my "current" racing tastes, I would always end up racing GT3 @ SPA and never learn how awesome other combos are.
    I am a much better/versatile player today because of those "empty/almost empty servers" with combinations I didn't think of existed!

16. Minolin

Good remark, I didn't fully point out how it is going to work: You will of course have empty servers in this list. It's just not a thousand anymore, but the result list will make sure it also covers all kinds of combinations that currently aren't populated.
    I probably can't do much against having you racing GT3s only for a while :D But you could reduce the Spa track preference and you will see other things on top.

Ernie, Thug, Ischemica and 1 other person like this.
  17. pRojectop

pRojectop Gamer

Where is the update? My steam dont download :)

18. BetaDaysUK

BetaDaysUK Rookie

3 of us will be testing MP tomorrow on LAN so fingers crossed!

19. Jaegermeister

Jaegermeister Rookie

So when is this going to drop today? It's 11:12am central US and steam still hasn't downloaded any updates for this game.

20. Daniel Costa

Daniel Costa Racer

I will try it and judge it fairly, you can trust :)

My above comment was based from my own experience in AC1, where I will play mostly my favorite 1 or 2 combos until I am bored, at which point I scroll down the list to find unique combos. Some of them end up becoming my favorites, and judging by some combos growth within a few months, it must mean other peoples behavior is similar to mine.

21. esox71

esox71 Alien

Does VR work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.