1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rain and The Wet Surfaces of ACC

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by mantasisg 2, Feb 21, 2018.

1. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

This is huge feature coming. Maybe it will be useful to have a thread dedicated to it, for questions, maybe speculations and eventually all bits of info which will go public.

My #1 concern is if wet track will result in "search of the grip/new optimal line", as no sim does it yet. Many people doesn't even know that it is usual that water on tarmac transforms optimal racing line in many places depending on various things. Moreover, it would be incredibly interesting to experience how distribution of available grip transforms as the surfaces would get more wet, and later how it would change back as the track would dry out.

Can't wait to find out more about the rain and wet surfaces related features in upcoming months.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting No more rain in wet conditions Sep 13, 2018
    General modding discussion Lets have wet track without RAIN Jul 8, 2016
    ACC General Discussions Is the AI in the rain for real? Yesterday at 12:59 PM
    Chit Chat Room Have racing drivers lost the capacity to drive under rain? Yesterday at 6:24 AM
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars No rain effects on windshield Saturday at 12:42 AM
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Water spray kills fps, "effects"=Mid fixes that but removes raindrops from windscreen Oct 21, 2018
    ACC Physics Transmission/drivetrain wobble gone? Oct 17, 2018
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Rain inside the pit garages Oct 16, 2018
    ACC User Interface Suggestion - HUD indicator for rain lights, indicators etc. Oct 14, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Too much rain levels [Suggestion] (Can´t post there) Sep 22, 2018
    ACC General Discussions What do you think about windshield visibility in the rain ? Sep 17, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Driving in the pack, in the rain, in the night... Sep 17, 2018
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Pitlimiter + directional lights + rain light Sep 15, 2018
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars In car Cockpit Rain Sep 15, 2018
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Raindrops very low fps Sep 14, 2018

3. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

Kunos cant make a game based on peoples lack of knowledge of racing dynamics.

Kunos make a sim, its down to people to educate themselves..

Kristaps and richard thompson like this.
  4. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

that answer doesn't even make any sense man..

5. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Well hopefully, thats really the beauty of AC, I have learned so much about the cars in past few years thanks to Kunos :) But educating, and possibility to implement things is not entirelly th same thing.

I really like this screenshot
    [​IMG]

I suppose it is the grid straight of SPA. They have these grooves there

[​IMG]

They are much like tire threads - for water drainage, they helps with grip in wet conditions. Not sure if they helps in dry conditions, if not the opposite.

Though it mustn't be SPA, I think more tracks has them, such as T1 of Interlagos, but that track is not important for us now.

6. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

Old but very useful videos about the 'wet line' on Nordschleife!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  7. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

8. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Don't rF2 and PC2 at least attempt that?

And I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case for ACC. It might never perfectly replicate the real experience on track but I expect Kunos will try to come close.

LChaves and kro like this.
  9. chakko

chakko Alien

Indeed. My #1 feature. I'm sure Kunos know how to do it though, Stefano already had a (IMO) good implementation in netkar Pro, and, i'm sure it will be even better in Competizione.

10. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Nope.. well PC2 puddles has some effect, but those puddles are unnatural IMO, and puddles is not really that thing, rF2, maybe in future ? Currently rF2 has rather static grip per track, but whole track changes dinamicaly afaik, whole track, not different in particular places, correct me someone if I am wrong, but last time I have played rF2, I didn't have had to use those techniques of "grip searching". I have tried to do something in Goodwood mod, reducing grip in supposedly polished and rubbered places, or just water collecting areas, impact is huge, you really want to use different line, but in some cases you can use usual lines, it is really interesting. But eventually low grip will be too challenging for most... let alone searching for new lines. Thats why it might have been never done in any sim.

11. mms

mms Alien

I think it's done correctly in rF2, their is a dynamic grip buildup that depends on the lines the cars take.

12. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

In rF2 you don’t have to avoid the rubbered in racing line in wet conditions, it’s just a little more slippery.
    In RL a wet rubber becomes a deathtrap.

13. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

No you aren’t well informed here. rF2 has not only a dynamic track, like AC, where the whole track grip changes, but a dynamic racing line. Weave off a bit an you struggle for grip.
    Only wet conditions use the same line as in the dry. That isn’t simulation of true conditions.

14. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Yeah thats the thing, just not only that. In particular places more water will collect. Also the wet rubber is not the direct enemy in the rain. Actually it is low depth of tarmac bedrock. And as rubber gets embedded the depth of bedrock decreases. There could also be very little rubber, but the tarmac can be very polished, and it will result in more grip loss when wet. It is very complex really. In some cases old tarmac can have very rough texture, and it will help in the wet for example, it is very complex.

15. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Actually in rf2, when wet , the previously racing line it's still the fastest part of track which is obviously wrong.

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

16. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

As I said, m8.

Alistair McKinley likes this.
  17. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

So today is World Water Day https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Water_Day

And I decided to bump up this thread from a complete bottom of ACC forum, just so it is not at the bottom because it upsets me.

Was there anything water related mentioned in the meantime ? I've heard rumours that Stefano said something very interesting in racedepartments interview.

18. David Wright

David Wright Simracer

The issue is clearly very complicated.

In this video, the wet racing line seems pretty much the same as the dry. Certainly the car is not avoiding the apex and driving around the outside of the corner.

19. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

He is indeed not compromising his line very much, just at a few places. I can see other driver choosing different strategy in GP part. Yes it is tricky, but I believe that it is in most cases less or much less grip on racing line, but they say that it is always experimenting, so they might make one lap this way and other lap different way. Perhaps sometimes there is just enough grip for the speed driver has chosen, even if it is much less of it than usual, or it pays off to go through slippery patch to get a grip after it...

20. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I've mostly seen drivers take different lines in the wet if they're on wet tyres, for instance, and the rain is easing. The wet tyres overheat in the drier conditions, so the drivers deliberately drive in the wetter parts of the track to cool the tyres down. Things like that. Once it's full wet, and they're on wet tryes, I don't think the racing line is much different.

21. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Rubbered-in surfaces becoming greasy, kerbs and painted surfaces being slick, track surface not having the same wetness everywhere depending on the elevation/surroundings/surface temperature, puddles forming - plenty of things that can make a different line during rain more optimal. Doesn't mean every driver picks up on it.

Kristaps and ddd01 like this.