1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Thrustmaster T3PA vs. PRO

Discussion in 'Steering wheels discussions' started by TheMiz44, Feb 2, 2017.

1. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

In general, I'm interested. But it looks as if there were a threshold up to which the resistance builds up and then hardly any resistance, at all. That's not how my car's clutch feels like, at all.

2. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I came up with a better idea than the one in the vid posted. The clutch pedal needs a toothed rack attached to it's top end. The toothed rack operateson a toothed wheel fixed to the base plate. The wheel is on a shaft where a nylon string is attached in a way that it will wind up on the shaft on rotation. The other end of the nylon string is attached to a spring that is attached somewhere to the base plate. On pushing, you will extend the spring.
    There will be a lot less variance in the force than with the lever-based idea. Tricky part will be to stabilize the toothed rack.
    All parts should be available from RC car stores plus some sheet metal, sheet metal scissors and hammer wouldn't be bad.

I'll post a drawing later.

Ace Pumpkin and paul_wev like this.
  3. paul_wev

paul_wev Hardcore Simmer

I'm up for trying to build one, probably both of the above?

T300rs, t3pa with Bodin load cell brake conversion, t8ha, ps vr

4. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Nice. I'll fix the drawing later when I'm on the train and upload it tonight. Very interested in whether it'll work well.

paul_wev likes this.
  5. LeonSuetfeld

LeonSuetfeld Alien

I don't think that's what it is. I'm not sure my calculations are correct yet (and some of it so far is just guesswork), but this is an example of a pressure curve I calculated for it. At least the general shape should be correct:

figure3_short.png

I don't think there's a way to get an upshot at the end, but otherwise the plot looks pretty good to me.

BTW this results from this:
    figure1.png

Looking forward to it. Maybe I can simulate the resulting forces too?

BTW are there physics experts around here? I'd like to check with someone if my math is correct.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Gulf917K, LeDude83 and paul_wev like this.
  6. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I think you are the physics expert, judging by your graphs.
    In the industry at least, a graph like this makes you an expert :p

So this peak in your first diagram - that's what I meant: at some point the additional pedal throw doesn't extend the spring much further. I have never driven a car where the clutch behaves like that. In my experience it's a steady force with a bit of friction/resistance. This peak with steep falloff afterwards would feel weird to me.

I'm sure you can simulate the forces with my drawing.

7. LeonSuetfeld

LeonSuetfeld Alien

Huh? All clutches I've driven so far have a clear pressure point beyond which the pedal pressure decreases.

http://thecartech.com/subjects/design/Automotive_clutch.htm
    http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/clutch/ReliableClutch/ClutchMeas.gif
    http://grannys.tripod.com/diaphragmpressurecurve.png

Even the Heusinkveld pedals have a similar curve to what my calculations give me (also without the upshot at the end):
    http://www.h-engineering.net/support/sim-pedals-pro/

LeDude83 and paul_wev like this.
  8. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Thx. I have no doubt that you're right and I was wrong. The original video in here seems to be a good approach, then and my idea is obsolete.

9. LeonSuetfeld

LeonSuetfeld Alien

I didn't mean to shut you up with that post, and I'm happy to discuss different opinions and approaches. After all, the solution from the video seems to do a decent job, but it isn't necessarily perfect.

Ace Pumpkin and paul_wev like this.
  10. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I know you didn't :) And I won't shut up...I just realized I had no clue how a clutch works ;-) If this mod is good I might try it, too. My idea would just have been a linear resistance...obsolete now that I learned about clutches.

Thanks.

paul_wev likes this.
  11. LeonSuetfeld

LeonSuetfeld Alien

Here's the current state of the simulation and planning.

I made an overview of what effect certain changes have, coming from a standard configuration close to what's in the video.
    It may not be spot on since for now I put in some imprecise guesswork regarding the spring that is under the clutch pedal. Nevertheless, it should outline the relative effect that changes to the standard configuration could have.

figure1_std_rodl_1070.png
    fig_forces_compare_std_sl_12std_sl_13std_sl_14.png
    fig_forces_compare_std_sf_15std_sf_20std_sf_25.png
    fig_forces_compare_std_arml_295std_arml_315std_arml_335.png
    fig_forces_compare_std_spring_Lstd_spring_Mstd_spring_R.png
    fig_forces_compare_std_rodl_1070std_rodl_1090std_rodl_1110.png

12. TheMiz44

TheMiz44 Rookie

This discussion has gotten really interesting! I'm loving it!

LeonSuetfeld and paul_wev like this.
  13. Gulf917K

Gulf917K Racer

I'm just getting more confused!!:confused:

LeonSuetfeld likes this.
  14. Fascinating stuff you're working on!
    What software are you using to simulate all that?

15. LeonSuetfeld

LeonSuetfeld Alien

I wrote a little python script, and I hope I got the math right :) If anyone has a clue about mechanics, I'd be happy to check back with them. I have no background whatsoever in this field, and I kinda didn't bother reading up on it, so I just went with logic (I hope). The curve looks roughly like what you'd expect, so I'm hopeful I got it right.

Anyways, I bought most of the parts by now, with some ordered online and still pending. Once I have it all I'll get to work. There's some drilling and Dremeling required to make it all fit. After it's all done I'll check if it feels right. Despite the simulation I can't be 100% sure it will, for example cause I don't know the specs of the spring under the pedal. So it might take a few iterations until I get it right.

Once I have it all I will probably make a longer video about it. I was also thinking about selling it as a kit, but that's not really viable. I'll probably end up putting a detailed instruction video + python code online, including a list of all parts and instructions for assembly. And then maybe a donate button or something. IF it all turns out to be a proper mod and not some DIY rubbish ;)

Part of my thinking was that the T3PA Pro pedal base itself is actually really good. Solid build and very mod-able. I was always considering getting a Fanatec, but since I keep hearing stories about their stuff failing... why not turn my existing T3PA Pros into a pedal set that can take it up with the Clubsports for less (additional) cost? Will see how it goes.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Ace Pumpkin, paul_wev and Gulf917K like this.
  16. Gulf917K

Gulf917K Racer

I just bought the Pro pedals. So if anyone is after a set of T3PA pedals. Let me know!;)
    Im following you very closely Leon!

Basquiat likes this.
  17. Basquiat

Basquiat Gamer

It would be very interesting to see the improvement you might get in terms of laptimes with the new pedals
    Let us know!

Gulf917K and paul_wev like this.
  18. Ravellron

Ravellron Racer

:)

Gulf917K likes this.
  19. LeonSuetfeld

LeonSuetfeld Alien

I think with the plain pedals lap times should be the same. A brake mod could make a difference, though.

Gulf917K likes this.
  20. Gulf917K

Gulf917K Racer

Basquiat/ Ravellron. Will let you know how I find them!;)
    The main reason I am swapping is for the GT config. My feet just feel a bit awkward with the standard T3PA. Mainly pressing the throttle. My right foot tends to slip off (downwards if you get my drift).

Ravellron likes this.