1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Thrustmaster t500 rs limited re-calibrations? (internal flash)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by ShredatorFIN, Aug 6, 2015.

1. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Just got a T500, but it wasn't calibrating properly to center, was a few degrees to the right.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download.../T500RS_AutoCalibration_Centering_Process.pdf

There is the instructions to recalibrate it. How often you guys have had to do it? Is it common that new wheels require this? I guess I shouldn't RMA it, just because it didn't center brand new?

Also there is some talk that the T500 Flash can be re-written only limited times. There is no mention or warning about this in any Thrustmaster documentation, to my knowledge. Is this a fact? And what happens if you write the Flash too many times? How many times (approx?) it can be recalibrated? And will the warranty cover it, if something fails because too many re-calibrations?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Thrustmaster t500 FFB is Bugging Jun 13, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Thrustmaster Software + t500rs Nov 6, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Ps4 Thrustmaster t500rs working Jul 4, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Thrustmaster T500rs FFB issues on PS4 (non Pro). Jun 24, 2020
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Thrustmaster T500RS settings Jun 23, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions PS4 Pro Thrustmaster T500RS not working for ACC. Fixes? Jun 23, 2020
    ACC User Interface Thrustmaster t500rs D-Pad Jul 31, 2019
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Thrustmaster T500RS. Calibrates fine, doesn’t work in game! Apr 6, 2018
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Thrustmaster T500 RS problem on Assetto Corsa PS4 Jan 17, 2017
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Trouble getting a good feel with the Thrustmaster T500rs wheel Nov 6, 2016
    Steering wheels discussions Thrustmaster T500RS only has 90 degrees of lock Oct 14, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Thrustmaster T500RS straight line violent wobble Sep 4, 2016
    Steering wheels discussions Thrustmaster T500RS Reverse Gearbox Aug 29, 2016
    Steering wheels discussions Thrustmaster T500RS Wheel Jun 8, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Question to T500RS and other Thrustmaster wheel users. May 24, 2016

3. Jaye

Jaye Alien

Wouldn't it be the easiest way to contact the Thrustmaster support?

Horus and Jebus like this.
  4. Jebus

Jebus Alien

Mine has worked perfectly since the day one. Maybe it's a problem with newer versions or I'm just lucky.

Edit. I would take it back to the store if I were you. You shouldn't need to fix anything with the brand new wheel imo.

Horus likes this.
  5. Jaye

Jaye Alien

But I think we all can understand that he is hoping for a trick to fix it so that he can just race with his new baby ;)

But for me it also sounds like a hardware problem.

Horus likes this.
  6. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Did that already, no answer yet, but from what I've heard (and googled) many people have needed to recalibrate this thing, many of them right after purchase, including @bigbawmcgraw (he had to do it with his new wheel) and user @XzzDSA has currently same problem with a brand new T500. I read about a guy who had to RMA 3 wheels until he got one that centers, but is that really practical? The RMA and getting a replacement can take ages, and what if I get another that isn't centered? :D The T500 I bought was the only one in stock whole summer in my country. Called to the webstore I bought it from, and the guy said I can get a replacement, but shouldn't expect it to be quick.

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-t500-rs-not-centering-faulty-hardware.25677/
    https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/thrustmaster-t500rs-calibration-problem-help.194768/
    http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst22349_Thrustmaster-TX---having-some-issues-here.aspx
    http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/6472-t500rs-wheel-not-centering/

Not sure if I understand why would the Flash have limited rewrites though, can't it just overwrite? :/

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  7. esox71

esox71 Alien

I've done mine a couple of times
    If also had wheel not centre properly, but just unplugged usb back in then was fine.
    Some people say don't have it plugged in on pc start up, wait then plug in?

8. Perfectly normal that it's off center out of the box. I have had three T500rs (don't ask), and all of them were more or less off. After recalibration, I haven't had to do it again except maybe when I updated the firmware.
    Anyways, after recalibration, if the full 1080 degrees is not there, that is normal too. I have 1065 on the wheel I have now, had 1080 on the first and 1075 on the next. Just make sure that you have same amount of rotation to both directions and you are good to go.

I haven't heard about any issues with re-calibration or flashing amounts. Sounds like poppycock to me.

LeDude83, esox71, Horus and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jebus

Jebus Alien

That's for sure.

I wouldn't like the prospect of loosing my wheel for undefined time either. But at the same time knowing that I have possibly flawed product would be pretty annoying aswell. It's supposed to be a high quality product and should work flawessly out of the box imo.

Hope you got it sorted @ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN and Jaye like this.
  10. Jaye

Jaye Alien

That is easy to answer, you shouldn't think about flash like the modern SSDs. The BIOS chip of all Mainboard is also "flash", your GPU has got BIOS "flash" chip(s). So you not have been overwriting these, you erase them complete and then "insert" the new data. So over the years there were different kinds of flash chips, for example EPROM (mid 90s) which was very limited to "rewriting". After that there was EEPROM but here wikipedia tells rewrite counts are measured in billion times, so in nowadays there shouldn't be real warranty limit.

By the way I fell that I'm getting old when I remember those thingsof my youth;)

aphidgod, Octane, Horus and 1 other person like this.
  11. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

On Thrustmaster official page there is this line on Firmware changelogs:

FLASH MEMORY: Added protection to avoid potential flash corruption. = V35

Might this be related? So that it has sometimes led to flash corruption, and for that reason not advised to be done constantly? And maybe with latest firmware this isn't a threat anymore?

Just guessing, when the Thrustmaster support will get back to me, I will ask them details about this. But great to hear that this is normal, so don't need to RMA.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    esox71 likes this.
  12. No, that is basically just a backup of your current firmware, so that if the firmware update installation craps out, you can still revert back to the old one and try again. It was some button combination (can be found at the TM support site) that you needed to press x seconds and voilà, back to life.
    I wish phones would do this too... *eyeroll*

13. Jaye

Jaye Alien

Could mean two thing (because I'm not familiar with wheel flashing possibility):
    • they protect it against third party flashing (customized functionality, maybe the possibility to let the wheel produce higher forces)
    • they protect it against failures through the flashing process
    Edit: @tommi karsikas was faster ^^

So the common term of flashing a device (e.g. harddisc, Mainboard) means when you update its firmware/BIOS. This process can be very dangerous because if there is a problem during this "rewrite", like a power breakdown, the device can get unusable. It's comparable to the flashing of a smartphone when you brick it, no chance to do something then on your own.

So from what I read there is no hint in the official document regarding to lose warranty, so just recalibrate it once to get a nice center position.

And then I've also got the problem that sometimes when I power on my rig, my wheel does its self calibration and is not centered. Always blamed it on this old crap toy, but maybe its something regarding to the boot process and lose of USB signal or something like that. So when this happens I make a second (or third ^^) reboot until the self calibration works fine, or when I'm not so lazy I crouch under my desk to unplug it (thanks Logitech for that hard mounted USB wire on the wheel side :mad:).

14. ivor0405

ivor0405 Rookie

Hi guys,

I had that problem that is not centered when i power up the wheel. I also thought it might be loose of usb signal while boot process starts, but always the same problem.
    After a lot of google searches i decided to downgrade windows from 10 to 7 ultimate. After that i installed fresh TM drivers and everything was just fine finally.

Then I had some problem with League of Legends and after some google researching i went to delete latest win7 update and then problem came again! At that moment when I deleted that update, my wheel got offcentre.

Then I reinstalled windows 7 again because i wasnt looking which update i deleted and everything was normal again, wheel is working like the first day i ve bought it (at that time everything was normal:)

I hope this will help someone, also, i didnt want to manualy calibrate the wheel with three button combination because it was working fine for months and then sudenly offcentre.

15. esox71

esox71 Alien

And the moral of this story is, don't do what I did, just recalibrate it with the 3 buttons?

16. ivor0405

ivor0405 Rookie

No, i dont know how many times you can do that 3 button recalibration, because i have red that you can fill that internal memory...i did that just because of that, tried to find another way, not easier

17. SuperBobKing

SuperBobKing Racer

Flash memory does degrade with use and can only be rewritten a limited number of times, but unless they are using ****ty and/or outdated memory the number of rewrites should be much higher than you are likely to need to do in the life of the product. Digital cameras and cell phones use flash memory, but do you avoid writing data to those? I just checked the cheapest flash memory IC on mouser, and its write/erase cycle endurance is 100,000.

LeDude83 and esox71 like this.
  18. rd.king

rd.king Hardcore Simmer

When you say a few degrees to the right
    What does the graph in the thrustmaster T500 control panel read when you center the wheel.

19. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Just chiming in to say +1. Had it for 4 months or so and since I knew there is a fix I never worried...you can even still race just fine. Started 3 weeks ago btw.
    I also wouldn't return my wheel because of that ;-)

20. ivor0405

ivor0405 Rookie

Thanks SuperBobKing, didnt knew that, i was looking for an alternative solution because i thought i can fill that flash memory:)

@rd.king- when happened to me, in the center was 2.1 degree

21. rd.king

rd.king Hardcore Simmer

2.1 degrees or 2.1 % as the control panel scale reads.
    There is a big difference.
    2.1 degrees is only about .21 % of a 900 degree rotation.
    whereas 2.1 % is about 20 degrees with a 900 degree rotation.
    I thought my wheel was slightly off center for sometime until noticed the massive warp in the top of my old desk.
    A few minute and a bit of a shim and it was fixed.

MrPix likes this.