1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Tips for a smoother experience?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by mike reynolds, Aug 11, 2020.

1. mike reynolds

mike reynolds Hardcore Simmer

So I just changed out my 28in 4K 60hz freesync monitor for a 35in ultra wide screen 1440 12ohz Gsync monitor.

When playing in 4K, using Vsync and FPS capped at 60 FPS all was smooth, except for the odd frame drop at the beginning of a race

Now, despite having a faster refresh rate, pushing less pixels and having a potentially higher FPS, I am plagued by micro stutter, I've tried combinations Gsync/Vsync FPS caps and I cannot get it consistently smooth. My GPU is working less hard than it used to, and my CPU is running fine....the only thing that has changed is the monitor and I cannot get it running anything like as smoothly.

Any tips on what to try next? I'm really stuck (ironically, I've now got AMS2 running like butter which was previously a mass of stutter and screen tear on the old monitor!)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Misano | Track Guide + Setup | Tips to be faster Jun 14, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Kyalami | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Feb 23, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Leo Sousa - Hotlaps, Setups, Track Guide, Prime Skins, Coaching and Tips Dec 2, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Paul Ricard | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Nov 4, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Hungaroring | Track Guide + Setup | Tips to be faster Sep 23, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Barcelona | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jul 3, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Silverstone | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jun 21, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Brands Hatch | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jun 11, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Monza | Track Guide | Tips to be faster May 20, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Qualifying setup tips Apr 20, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Imola | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Apr 9, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | How to Brake | 4 Tips for Begginers Apr 1, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC - Nurburgring - Track Guide - Tips to be faster Mar 26, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC - SPA - Track Guide - Tips to be faster Mar 18, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Circuit de La Sarthe setup tips (question) Feb 21, 2021

3. jesker

jesker Gamer

when you play with vsync off try to set off TAA/KTAA because the chuggy/choppy experience probably it's caused by tearing and that kind of AA method based on previous frames which destroy the image.
    regarding fps cap: i think it's not as smooth as vsync in your case because at the same average framerate you can get different frametimes (time for processing/rendering the frame) so tearing occur even at 120 fps on a 120 Hz and it's possible for the monitor to output the framebuffer when gpu update it, probably on a very fast monitor with great response time an little or no ghosting that it's not as noticeable as your case.

4. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Do you experience those micro stutters even at a fps cap of 60 or only at 120fps cap?

There are multiple possibilities to limit your fps:
    1. Vsync on (sort of)
    2. ingame fps limiter
    3. driver level "max framerate" in Nvidia Control Panel - Application settings
    4. Nvidia Inspector (same as in Control Panel)
    5. RTSS (Rivatuner Statistics Server)

For me the most stable frame limit I experienced was letting RTSS impose the limit and getting a nice benefit of reduced input latency alongside.

By chance do you use RTSS (MSI Afterburner)?
    With this tool you can monitor the frametimes in a log or even display a frametime graph on screen for direct confirmation if there was a slight hiccup/micro stutter...

Here are some screenshots with various types of limiter, watch closely the yellow line in the lower part of the picture,this is the frametime graph.

No limit: You can clearly see the jagged line. No stable frame times
    AC2-Win64-Shipping_2020_08_12_21_30_43_450_no_limit.jpg

Ingame limit 120fps: already better but still jagged. Not very stable
    AC2-Win64-Shipping_2020_08_12_21_31_41_711_ingame_limit.jpg

Driver level limit 120fps: almost a straight line, very good. Just ever so often a little hiccup...
    AC2-Win64-Shipping_2020_08_12_21_35_46_725_driver_limit.jpg

RTSS limit 120fps (8333 microseconds): no hiccups, perfect straight line
    AC2-Win64-Shipping_2020_08_12_21_32_35_087_rtss_limit.jpg

And if 120Hertz is your monitor refresh rate and you want guaranteed no tearing and no input lag, in RTSS you can switch from framerate limit (fps) to frametime limit and set a frametime limit in microseconds, e.g. 8354 which is just beneath the 120fps (119.7fps).
    You have the full control up to a microsecond and frametimes are rock stable (if no other software causes a drop...)

If you want to download RTSS, I recommend to get the latest 7.3.0 beta.
    Guru3D RTSS Rivatuner Statistics Server 7.3.0 Beta 6

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    grandepunto, jesker and mbayenh like this.
  5. mike reynolds

Thanks Guys

@AndyK70 I get the micro stutter at both 60 and 120 FPS Cap. Yes I have RTSS on my PC, but never really used it, I'll try that...thanks for your help

6. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Very interesting.
    So this is not about your computer at it's limit but something else.
    I'm curious to see if there are still micro stutter with RTSS limiting fps.

7. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

I don't know how many fps you have ACC running, but if it's near 120fps, then you could be needing a hdmi 2.1 cable, which you didn't need before.

8. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

or a DisplayPort cable 1.3/1.4, which typically is cheaper due to no licence fee

Snoeipaard likes this.
  9. mike reynolds

I'm using a DP cable, that should be better than HDMI 2.1 yes?

Using RTSS to limit frames to 60 seems to have made things a bit better....generally driving is smoother now and only a bit stuttery when I move my head L/R (I use trackIR). My track IR profile has pretty subtle movement though so I can probably live with that.

If I don't limit the frames, my rig generally runs ACC around 85-90FPS. I got it up to 120 FPS by turning down all of the graphic settings, but it looked awful and wasn't actually any smoother.

10. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

I believe it should be atleast a DP v1.4 cable in your case.

Just out of curiousity, why would you cap your fps at 60 or use v-sync, while you have a 120Hz G-Sync monitor? That doesn't seem right to me.

11. mike reynolds

Capping FPS at 60 seems to make the trackir movement smoother for some reason (trackir works at 120hz I think) than if I cap it at 12o (or don't cap it) and have the game running at around 85-90. Vsync, again seemed to make the game the smoother, I know that goes against conventional wisdom, so maybe just placebo! TBH honest I've just been trying everything I can think of the iron out the stutter. It's frustrating as my PC is strong enough to run AC and AMS2 at 120FPS and I've seen huge benefits in these games from changing from the 4K 60hz monitor, but ACC I'm struggling with, was definitely smoother on the old 4K monitor (except when FPS dipped to <60).

12. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

Without the use of G-Sync, it would actually makes sense for games running at 120fps on a 120Hz monitor (or 60Hz for that matter) to be smoother then a game running at 85fps on that same monitor. Are you sure you enabled G-Sync in your NVIDIA control panel and in Windows?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020