1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Tips for lotus 2-eleven @ silverstone

Discussion in 'Screens & Videos' started by Rex, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Rex

Rex Racer

I practiced more taking advice from all of you and I was able to get 2:25.3 which is #93 in RSR Pro with this combo :) Before I couldn't even make a valid lap... But I want to improve more so I am coming back to you guys with more questions, if that's ok:

I have the stock DFGT (2 pedals and no H shifter). I play with RSR Pro rank settings + Auto Clutch On and Michael wheel settings.

@Michael Hornbuckle Can you please tell me also what are your settings for Controls -> Advanced -> Steering/Pedals? I have Gamma: 1, Filter: 0, Sensitivity: 0, Brake Gamma: 1.3.

@Jaye
    Braking before turning in helped me a lot at this stage, when I started doing this I immediately made 10 valid laps in a row and before that I couldn't even make one. I know that's basic stuff for you guys but I'm happy I learned it. Is this a basic technique, for all cars, or it is car-specific?

@pankykapus
    Throttling during cornering: yes, I feel more in control doing it, it definitely makes a difference. I feel I'm doing little dritfs, correcting the car angle. I'm not sure I'm doing it properly (you can see in the video) but it does help.

@Berry
    Thanks for the videos, quite a lot to take in, I'll get through them.

@Ace Pumpkin
    Thanks for the recommandation. I used to play simcades a lot (I still enjoy them) like Grid/Dirt/F1. AC is my first sim and I love it, I feel I'm learning something new every play session.

Some more questions:

1) Rev-matching, I understand theoretically why it's necessary, but how to do it? I see some guys blip while shifting down, is it really important? Can you just not wait for the RPM to go a bit down then shift down and that's it?

2) When is the optimum time to shift up the gears? I know that for F1 cars it is exactly before the red (why?) but for other cars it seems better to change in red, but how much into it?

3) I see in Michael's video and others that sometimes faster laptimes are done being really aggresive with the car (yanking it, semi-dritfin, etc). I always liked the perfect driving from F1 and I thought it applies to all cars to get the best lap times: be clean, don't upset the car, stay on the line, slow in fast out, etc. But in some videos it's almost the opposite. So it's interesting to hear more about this: aggressive or clean?

Here is my video with my latest practice on this combo. Do you see more basic mistakes in it or new things to try?

esox71, Ace Pumpkin and pankykapus like this.
  2. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

3) Clean is always better.

And in your lap. Be decisive on the throttle, once you´re in it, try to never let it off, those little stabs just waste your time, as you could be already full throttle in some places, and at others you wait too much time to get 100% throttle.

See how you can go harder on the throttle

3. Jaye

Jaye Alien

@Rex nice that you find some improvements and starting to enjoy it :)

Braking before corners is the easiest thing for the beginning and the best way not to get frustrated ;) Especially rear happy cars are hard to brake into corners and with cheaper pedals it's nearly impossible to get a good feeling for that (but there are also brake mods out there with half of a squash ball or things like that which could be helpful). So without a nice feeling it's more a practice so long until you can do it lap after lap.

With 2:25:3 you have touched the meridian time for that combo and if you can do that clean and constantly that's already good.

Look at RSR rank 73 and you find me (yeah I'm bad on these cars ^^) and watch the sector times... first sector you're yet faster than me, second sector you lose half a second and last sector one second. So it shouldn't be so hard to go down into the 2:23 with more practice and maybe a better setup.

4. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

I can't offer much advice regarding driving techniques (I tried this combo for the first time a few days ago and am struggling to get below 2:26 with the default setup), but I'd like to add that last week I decided to stiffen up my DFGT brake pedal, and it has made SUCH a difference to my driving! I increased the stiffness of the stock spring (bending it to around 110°) and then inserted a foam practice golf ball under the pedal. I then was able to change my brake gamma from 2.4 to 1.0, and now it feels like driving a real car.

£0.99 off ebay - the best quid I ever spent! :D

esox71 likes this.
  5. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

You should be accelerating sooner at Luffield exit and harder at Club exit. The braking looks rather conservative at Maggotts, Copse and Stowe - but I do not have enough practice with the Lotus there to be sure. Last, your line at the Becketts/Chapel combo does not look good: you should stay in the left part of the track before the right-hander in order to be full throttle as early as possible.

6. esox71

esox71 Alien

Couldn't agree more, All the tips mentioned will be a lot easier with a more realistic brake feel, the most common is the squashball
    I used it for long time difference the is quite amazing.....
    [​IMG]
    Fastest ball being the hardest so you can modify feel.

Also will be taking on some of the advice onboard myself as I can't drive this car at all :confused:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Fat-Alfie likes this.
  7. Nao

Nao Alien

That was pretty good, smooth and steady :). Now the real laptime improvements will have to come from tidying stuff up. Things like using all of the track width, braking later, carrying more speed through the corners etc.

What i would recommend: On corner exit - try focusing on picking one particular point where you go 100% throttle and never let go. Little bit of throttle to stabilize the car mid corner is ok, but try to find a moment of "point and shoot", don't squeeze it just wait that 0.1-0.2s longer and nail it to the floor - should drop laptime by a second at least. (ps: don't be afraid to use a bit more steering on turn exit than in other cars - the car has some unused grip there).
    On entry - while the car is very unstable under light braking, it is quite stable under heavy ABS assisted braking, try braking a bit later and start to turn while still pressing on the brakes (possibly modulate brakes a bit but don't go below 70%!) then instantly release all brake pressure - the car should not only remain stable but already be close to a state of happy cornering - should drop another second or two.
    Lines - rest is in the lines and keeping the speed up. Something that might be a good practice for cornering (not always faster thou!) would be to enter them with a lot more speed and then balance the car on the edge with tiny throttle or even just steering adjustments. The more you will know about that edge the more speed you will be able to carry into and though corners, and it will be easier to keep to the proper racing lines you can see on onboard videos etc.

esox71 and Fat-Alfie like this.
  8. Rex

Rex Racer

I was able to improve my time by 1 second in a few tries, I'm now #78 in pro ranks. I don't think I can do it faster unless I put in a lot of more time. I guess I'll work on the other Pro combos, top 100 in pro rank is enough for me. Thanks guys, really good tips overall that help me in any combo.

9. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Good progress. I have a hardware and setup advice for you that will make you quicker:
    - Get a squash ball and drop it in the gap behind the brake pedal. It's cheap and fits perfectly.
    - You can't press the pedal fully now, obviously. Re-calibrate in AC.
    - Find the right brake gamma: Open the pedals app on track and watch it respond to your braking input. In the beginning where the pedal is "weak" there should be little change in the bar...30 % maybe. When you hit the resistance this is where the main progress should take place. You will now modulate the brake by pressure more than by travel. This is more intuitive.
    - Setup: use an external view (F5 camera) and bring the car up to speed brake hard without ABS and see which wheels lock first - front or rear. Set brake bias so that they lock up at the same time.

10. esox71

esox71 Alien

^^ Post #6 And I dont understand people who want to press their brake pedal and nothing happens till last minute or at the end of travel:confused:

11. LetsTestDrive

LetsTestDrive Simracer

Wow, some serious rocket science going on in this thread lol Cool lap though, I think I might give this a go as I've also got the DFGT, and put a squash ball under the brake pedal. Gives the brake pedal free travel to about half way then hits the squash ball and gives it a kind of load cell/heavy heavy feeling onwards so you can modulate the brake. Still a bit tricky though with some tweaking required but 100 times better then standard!