1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Tire Pressure Tips - what do I need to look for and why?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andysonofbob, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Andysonofbob

Andysonofbob Gamer

So

Last time I asked for help the advice helped me to stop spinning like a loon leading me to come second in the Tier 3 race at Imola! :) Thanks!

People mentioned tire pressure.

I know how to set tire pressure and I am happy to do this BUT how are you meant to know the optimum tire pressure? I mean I have no idea whatsoever. 10 - 99 psi. How are you meant to know.

I notice the Tire ingame app's PSI readout starts blue and becomes green as the pressure increases, sometimes going light green. I take it green is optimum and light green is slightly high pressure?

Is there a rule one should follow to know the tire pressure one should be aiming for?

Thanks!

2. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

LeiF likes this.
  3. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

If it is green it is good. Don't worry if there are not in the green all the time, pressures vary during a lap (for example at Spa they will tend to go down in the first part of the track and go up in the last high speed sector).

4. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

If the PSI values are green you are good, if they are red/orange you need to lower, if they are blue you need to raise it. Drive a couple of laps to see where it evens out.

I have noticed on some setups that Ive downloaded from the setupmarket that they using higher pressures than recommended by the app. When trying to lower it to get "optimal" i get worse times. So I guess its also setup dependent but when its all stock it should be best with green.

BrandonW77 likes this.
  5. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Pressure is key, they need to be green and the need to be balanced, the best app to achieve that is called tire engineer.
    Optimum and balance tire pressure will make you faster.

6. Neilski

Neilski Alien

But what do you believe is the best way to compromise between pressure and temperature?

7. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

The best way is optimise and balance pressure forget about temperature.
    Follow the instructions in Aris first video.

8. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Hmm, that can't be the whole story - if tyres are too cold at optimum pressure and you drop the pressures a little to pull the temps up, that has to be better, no? I just don't know how to balance the two.

9. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

There other settings that affect tyres temperatures and pressure. A oversteer or understeer car not balanced will raise temperatures more than normal and will affect tyres.

It is a sort of setup that you have to do before and after change other things on car.

Also, your driving style affects tyres too.

10. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

You do what you think is right, I can only tell you what I have learned and experienced. Keep the pressure optimum and balanced and you will be faster.

11. WallyM

WallyM Alien

The general consensus seems to be that you get better performance by having optimum tyre pressures rather than temps.

Tim Meuris likes this.
  12. Neilski

Neilski Alien

OK, thanks guys. Will experiment a bit to try to get direct proof of what works best.
    (I'm an LFS refugee - the general consensus for LFS was that temps were crucial, and the lower the pressure the more grip you had, but the handling was affected of course.)

13. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Is it pressure > temp in real life too?

MrDoku likes this.
  14. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Good question! In (current) F1 they usually run the pressures as low as Pirelli will let them for safety reasons, so it seems like lower is just faster, with no obvious pressure value below which you get slower. But F1 isn't exactly the same as other cars...

15. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

I think some of it comes down to feel as opposed to numbers. We have major spoilage with tyre readouts, where irl, you don't really have that luxury at all times. So finding the right pressures in AC, comes down to numbers and colors, attempting to perfect said numbers and colors. By the end of the day, you may find that simply driving without the readouts will, eventually, give you the answers you seek.
    But then again, it's not as easy as real life to "feel" the grip, so a slightly over-pressured tyre may not feel like much of anything (again, slightly). An under-pressured tyre is quite noticeable, especially in the Elise/Exige's.
    Give those a try with super low pressures and then high pressures WITHOUT the use of tyre readouts, preferrably with a track that has both slow and high speed corners.

16. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Since optimum tyre pressure means optimum contact patch you're at least more likely to have the temps more evenly spread out across the tyre, temps themselves ultimately also depend on driving, car, setup, conditions. That's how you know you're getting close to optimal pressures, checking the temps across the tyre after a few laps.

17. Neilski

Neilski Alien

I'll have to give that a shot.

What do you mean by "optimum contact patch"?

18. Mogster

Mogster Alien

[​IMG]

Over inflate and your tyres balloon so your only running on the centre of the tyre. Under inflate and you're running on the sidewalls.

Neilski likes this.
  19. Proody

Proody Racer

You always have a compromise between temperature (rubber grip) and pressure (pad).
    Both to 100% is very rare.

Mogster likes this.
  20. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Ah yeah, of course. So perhaps F1 tyres are sufficiently compliant that low pressure doesn't make them concave...?