1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Trees and shading

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Kevin Tanton, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Kevin Tanton

Kevin Tanton Racer

I hope they look at the lods and the way trees and other objects get shading and shadows. They change drastically and the shadowing gets added last minute. I have everything on ultra.

tow and Epistolarius like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Screen flickering (trees, tyre walls and various objects) - only when "triple screen" is set to on? Jun 3, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Trees Dissapearing/Reappearing [Extreme FOV setup] Nov 29, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Improving trees (foliage vs. instanced static mesh) Apr 16, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Force high LOD for trees? Apr 1, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Problems in the circuit trees using pimax 5k + Apr 11, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars trees rendering Mar 24, 2020
    Screens & Videos Nordschleife - shimmering trees Jun 11, 2019
    ACC User Interface floating trees on finishing screen when winning a race in championship race Jun 11, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars V1.0.0 AA in corners at trees not working May 29, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Hungoring Trees problem Dec 13, 2018
    General modding discussion What settings to use when creating .dds MIP maps for trees Sep 3, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Trees change their color during the ride. Aug 23, 2018
    General modding discussion REQUEST: Heat Shimmer on Track or Trees Nov 24, 2016
    Suggestions Better trees Nov 13, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues animated trees Sep 6, 2016

3. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

on nurb is better than on other tracks, i think this is all just an iterative process. there will be more work done on this. they improve the engine constantly so i have no worries

4. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

I have also this problem but it happens only in MP

5. Nd4spdvn

Nd4spdvn Gamer

It happens everywhere, all tracks I mean. The shading, AO, shadowing gets applied once the player's car is approaching trees, vegetation, objects etc. I have everything maxed out not just in the sim's video settings but also using UE4 cvar/scalability settings and it still does it. With this very nice engine which has clear photorealistic potential it's a pity to have such issues. Worth noting is that with the latest 0.4.1 and its graphic improvements, I do get an extremely close to photorealistic rendering using 190% resolution scale, AA temporal on EPIC, all with a 2080ti. Oh, and the default gamma in the game is tweaked by the devs to generate a very punchy picture, but nowhere near correct as it darkens the picture too much. On my calibrated plasma with an sRGB 3DLUT I can tell this easily. I corrected this behavior easily though with r.Color.Mid=0.8 (default 0.5) cvar.

6. Kevin Tanton

Kevin Tanton Racer

UE4 cvar/scalability ? Is that a 3rd party app?

7. Nd4spdvn

Nd4spdvn Gamer

no, just console variables to be put in various *.ini files like engine.ini

8. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

Yes, thanks for the tip @nd4spdvnnd
    I added r.color.Mid in engine.ini and set it to 0.4, now the picture is a bit less bright
    With in game color saturation to 70 it's perfect for me in VR, with my Rift.
    It's more relaxing, and a bit photorealistic too.

I also tried you setting : 0.8
    In VR it looked more like the picture in AC1 VR, bright and a bit washed out.

9. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

I think I don't have that shadows or AO pump out, for instance at the Nurb. grandstand couverture. Not shure what had change, maybe shadows setting to med. can't check it now. Will take a look at it later.

10. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Can't check right now, but I have a feeling this shadow popping might happen "worst" on Epic or High shadows? But yeah it would look better if it wasn't so on/off looking. It's to save performance by limiting draw distance for shadows, but even if it was more gradual change and not a sudden jump, it wouldn't catch the eye. Dunno if such gradual change is possible, or if LODs will always cause this sudden jumps

11. DzelRacing

DzelRacing Racer

I think that Red dead Redemtpion 2 made a great job on this point with a console hardware (but of course, it's not the same budget and expertise for the graphical part)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  12. DzelRacing

DzelRacing Racer

Of course, a horse is not so fast but even with a train, it's pretty much stable, smooth.

13. Tberg

Tberg Alien

RDR2 has nothing to do with ACC, it's run by Rockstar's own Rage engine.

14. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Where is this engine.ini file? Did you have to create it? Can you post the contents of your file?

NVM, found it.

15. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

@WallyM

The engine.ini file is here :
    C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

AppData is a hidden folder, you must activate hidden folders first in your file explorer.

You just have to open the file, and copy/paste the lines.

WallyM likes this.
  16. DzelRacing

DzelRacing Racer

Could you explain technically that ? If not, your answer does not help.

I know this is not the same type of game, not the same ressource/budget (Kunos is still a small team).
    And by the way, you have the same pb in Pcars 2 (less, but also, this game was released, with a lot of updates).

It's maybe possible to find a solution for that.
    For example in the past, like "3D Instance" with geometry (The same object is calculated just once, even for derivation of the same object, you can create new one but it 's a mixe of two thing, but already in the memory, no need to calculate again, sorry for my bad english), some great idea like that (devs, programming). And now, this is a solution for many types of game.
    Maybe try to find a solution in the orther game ( even if it's not a racing game).For me, it's not incompatible.
    I don't know if it's easy to modify UE 4, etc...or if it's too much demanding with physics but it's a shame to have this great visual but not stable.

It's hard to find time, and I truly understand that it's not a priority.

17. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I just see no reason to bring up the Rage engine vs. UE4. At all...

18. DzelRacing

DzelRacing Racer

It's not a versus... You think this is my intention but I don't mean it that way.

19. DzelRacing

DzelRacing Racer

Maybe increase a little with optimization the distance, and use opacity between 3D mesh, not somthing less brutal. Maybe add some inbetween mesh also...

With shadows, play with opacity, resolution by distance...?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    ShredatorFIN likes this.
  20. Nd4spdvn

Nd4spdvn Gamer

I tried to play with cvars for LOD, shadow and AO settings both global and foliage and couldn't get rid of the so close to the car shadow/AO rendering. It's a behavior similar to the car lights like they should light ahead but with shadows (or more like AO?) instead...

21. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

A short-term solution for Kunos to look at may be to simply turn shadows and AO for trees off. Might not look as good, but it should eliminate the popping which is what's really ugly at the moment.