1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Triple Screen Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by AT_RubberDuck, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Racer

But is does not look like it should look or like you 'd expect it to look.
    Angled triples show me what I need to see and where. Taking a sharp corner, I expect the cars in front to be seen on my side screen(s), in the corner of my peripheral view, NOT on a wider screen in front of me. That is just not natural.
    I had the opportunity to try it once on a commercial setup (where they had mounted three screens in a "flat" posisition. Looked really horrible to me.
    One flat screen however big or small, or triples in a flat setup will never show a view that even comes close to angled triples.

2. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

For me, more natural than angled setup without angled support, it looks more horrible, the stretching is just ridiculous and immersion breaking. I've simraced several titles with parallel setup for years.. I guess I was doing it wrong then, but I enjoyed my time and could always see the cars that tried to overtake me, so don't think so. Maybe my peripheral vision is unnaturally good then. A superhuman genetic mutation, causing me to have a birds peripheral vision.. cos I really don't see a problem.

"You'd expect it to look". Maybe that's they key here, habits. I expect the perspective to be right. You expect that you don't have to turn your head as much. My neck works and eyes move too, so I have no problem

Of course I rather turn my screens into angled position, if the game supports it like AC. Because then I can get the perspective right. Otherwise the stretching just gives me eye cancer, slight improvement in peripheral vision is not worth it. As I said, human peripheral vision is slightly over 210 degrees (more than half-sphere), so if "corner of your peripheral vision" is roughly 100 degrees below that, maybe you should consult a doctor

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  3. Wergilius

Wergilius Simracer

We can agree that we disagree :) This would not be possible with "flat" triples and without proper triple support it looks weird
    (as it did in R3E before they finally added support for triples)

upload_2018-10-15_14-32-12.png

Mad.Motion likes this.
  4. kiril_r

kiril_r Racer

Guys, that's not even the point of the discussion. Everybody has their preferences.

We just want to know whether they will implement proper triple screen support or not.

5. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Well that's the thing... Dirt Rally, RaceRoom. Great titles, for the longest time, RaceRoom didn't have support either. People who say they can't play without true triple support, are out of their mind. Preferable yes, critical no.

If you prefer stretched image, fine then. It's a "you gain some you lose some" thing. I just can't stand the stretched image for some reason, so I do whatever I can to minimize it. But it isn't technically stretched, it's a widescreen image rendered from 1 viewpoint, with no stretching or perspective errors. Simracers just stretch it themselves by using angled screens.

6. kiril_r

kiril_r Racer

But setting the monitors inline, does not make it less stretched :) That't the thing. You can't have your side windows in front of you if the image is not stretched :)

Mad.Motion likes this.
  7. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Yeah it does. The image is not "stretched" in any way. It's a perspective-correct widescreen image, rendered from 1 viewpoint. There is nothing stretched, other than perceived stretching. Which is caused by simracers turning their screens at an angle. The perceived stretching is then countered by 3-viewpoint rendering. But there is no actual stretching going on, ACC follows 100% correct perspective logic throughout the 5760 x 1080 image. For some reason people call it "stretched" when nothing is stretched, you just have wider FOV

8. kiril_r

kiril_r Racer

Ok, I apologize if my terminology is not correct :) You are getting my point. It's like to say: use the external camera view as you can see more

What kind of simulation is this?

Mad.Motion likes this.
  9. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Well, obviously people aren't happy about lack of proper triple support. I was just trying to offer open-minded alternatives, as we are waiting for possible support. Of course I prefer angled screens and 3-point rendering, switching the angles for me is like 10 second job. I use them about 50/50 depending on sim, and have even small markings in the table, to know where they go.

I'd rather make optimization priority though. 3-viewpoint rendering is more demanding, and if even 1-viewpoint doesn't run well on 1080 ti... VR doesn't run well, 4K doesn't run well and lot more people are affected. Although sadly I'm afraid it might not be possible due to Unreal 4 just being Unreal 4. Which might also put dark clouds over triples support

10. Mad.Motion

Mad.Motion Racer

@ShredatorFIN

I think no one will agree with your point of view here, just have a look at all the comments and the likes awarded to different posts.

You re taking the example of widescreens wich is just the weirdest thing to use in a simracing game because you get a Flat Stretched Image. How you argue that it's not the case is just blowing my mind and all your explanations are full of contradictions and technical errors.
    I think we should all stop arguing and agree that we disagree.

And by the way, i insist that i strictly don't know what you are talking about when stating that ACC is impossible to run at full graphics with a 1080Ti (with a good framerate of course). Iam running triple, 5760*1080, full graphics, Gigabyte 1080Ti Extreme 11Gb with absolutely no framerate drops or any stutering.
    So surely a problem with your config! Just look at all the Youtube videos to convince yourself... RTX2080 = waste of money

FatnSlo likes this.
  11. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Well I don't give a flying ****, I'm 100% right from my own perspective. I don't give a **** about so-called simracing conventions either, I do what feels good to me. What some Holy Bible of Wheel-turning Neckbeards tells about "proper triple screen setup" means literally nothing to me. I form my own opinions. Widescreen is just as good in simracing, as any other genre. Wider screen is better. Are you seriously telling me this is "bad setup", that they used to demo ACC in Misano?

[​IMG]

Or that having that slight curvature there, makes "huge difference" :D It really doesn't..... With parallel setup you get very close to same experience + 2 bezels + bit more horizontal visibility + without the small curvature

Also, please tell me where are the "technical errors" and "contradictions".... instead of vague worthless statements like that. There's nothing wrong with my setup, it's brand new and killing every other game, FPS wise. You also nicely ignored when I said there are 2 other 1080 Ti owners on these forums, who also said the same thing... I guess "something wrong with their setup" as well :rolleyes:

One comment I also noticed on LetsGoRace's YouTube channel:

[​IMG]

Maybe 49 fps is smooth for you, not for me.

And you can keep using your stretched, distorted view. Of course most people will say it's the "right way" since many people don't form their opinions themselves, but copy the "common truths". I much prefer an experience that resembles the image above from Misano. As I've done for years, when a game doesn't allow anything else.

12. Mad.Motion

Mad.Motion Racer

@ShredatorFIN

Yes definitely a problem with some user config, i will hapilly post a screen showing FPS when i have time.

For the rest as i said, i am not arguing anymore whatever you will say. But yes for me it's a pretty bad setup they used, and they did that for 2 purposes:

1/ economy reason. bringing triples would be too expensive and could lead to technical issues.
    2/ they knew their triple support was bad so they used single screen. Simple as that.

Have a nice day and chill out mate ;)

13. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

I feel pretty chill tbh, I knew years ago majority would disagree with me. So nothing new here. Just didn't like how you said my statements were full of factual errors, when they weren't. Point out even single one, instead of basically implying I'm an idiot, without any kind of specifics about what part I said wasn't correct.... Opinion differing from yours (or majority's) is not a factual error.

And perhaps those were used in Misano since triple support isn't there (Sim racing expo had triples though). But that screen isn't cheap, more than thousand dollars. Plenty of simracers would switch their regular single screen to that, any day of the week...

This whole conversation reminds of the VR nutheads, if you try to tell them the resolution is garbage, they just lash at you "VR is the future" even when anyone with working set of eyes can see the garbage image. Simracing bible says VR is great, end of discussion. Same thing here, we must use angled monitors, even when the game doesn't render an image that would fit/suit angled monitors in any logical way. Then complain about an issue, that we've made 2x worse by using the angled setup

Patrik likes this.
  14. Mad.Motion

Mad.Motion Racer

@ShredatorFIN

I was unable to get shadow play recording a video so i made a screenshot with steam and its FPS counter on the upper left of the pictures (sorry for the small FPS size but could not do better)
    Here you have a screenshot during gameplay proving that triple and 100 fps is not a problem with a 1080Ti. I was between 85 and 98 Fps all in Graphics in Epic. If i put everything to High, i get 110-115 Fps.

[​IMG]

So this was for example a false statement that you used earlier in your posts. No need for a RTX 2080 lol
    Don't have time to point out everything else, as you will always be right...

15. Wergilius

Wergilius Simracer

It's not always 2 negative thing give you a positive result, so for the way ACC is right now it's better using one wide screen or place 3 of them flat. But many triple users are on 8020 rigs or hardware stands and change that setup is at least nothing I'm willing to do as all major sims support triples.

I keep my fingers crossed for it to be confirmed as ACC seems to have great potential but I'll stay in the "No triples - No Buy" club (sounds like an annoying VR guy), we have so many other great sims to enjoy while we wait.

paulieGTR and ShredatorFIN like this.
  16. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

And this is news to who? I can easily run dry daytime, like everyone else with 1080 Ti. (Not to mention you have no AI on your screen)

Now go try same with heavy rain/storm and night, full grid of AIs, start from back of the grid...For example in race start, T1 of Nürburgring, and a bit after that into T2 and T3. The frames plummet. Pointless to benchmark with conditions, that give nearly 2x framerates. When the whole idea will be multiplayer with dynamic weather, eventually. Not to mention, target is 30 cars not 21, which will make things worse

17. Whitestar

Whitestar Hardcore Simmer

Don't even have to make it that complicated. :) Just run the wet race (last special event). On the first straight where the lights go green my fps goes down to about 42 or so with everything on Epic. So I turn down several settings just to keep it above 60.

As for triples next to each other with no angle... it might work. Haven't tested and I probably won't, since I spent so much time getting them at perfect (for me) angle.

8700K, 1080Ti.

ShredatorFIN likes this.
  18. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Yep. Just tried the Nurburgring scenario I described, heavy rain, time 0:00 midnight, back of 21 grid. Can't stay above 60 fps even with these settings:

[​IMG]

Dropped to 54 frames in T1 (Yokohama-S). The straight before that works alright (until braking zone)

Mirrors are huge FPS killer, but disabling it totally isn't practical, while I tried that too. Not particularly happy about lowering view distance either, pretty important in sims. Putting shadows on "Low" would disable them totally. Putting effects "low" would disable rain from windscreen.. so where can you go from this, really

Someone said the drive you installed ACC on could affect, so I moved from regular SSD to M.2 SSD before test. No effect.. so yeah, wouldn't be too worried about 3-viewpoint rendering at this stage, as it will make things even worse

19. kiril_r

kiril_r Racer

You may not be so worried about 3-viewport rendering, but bunch of us are. Let us freely worry about it, please :)

Btw, I run almost everything at EPIC (except shadows and mirrors - HIGH ) with my MSI GTX1080 (not Ti) and it runs good even in stormy night. BUT (ah, always that but) I lowered the RESOLUTION SCALE to 90. It is not as crisp and as beautiful as at 100 but hey... And to be honest I hardly notice it in the heat of the race.
    With your Ti you can try it at 95 or so.

20. Mad.Motion

Mad.Motion Racer

@ShredatorFIN

I knew you would say something again even after proof. Basicly the game runs perfect on triple and there is just a small window where they need to improve things when all the worst conditions are met at the same time (Storm+ total night + lights + heavy rain).
    How many time will you face this situation ? That you will only be able to find in Endurance mode...

You re just the kind of nit picking guy that wanna try to find THE detail that is going to crash the game, and using it to spread a general rule.

They are in Early Access so i guess they will try to improve that kind of things, so as of now just put your mirrors and shadow on high, go make your endurance race in storm+rain+night+headlight+50 cars and please stop spreading false statements !!