1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Tuning advice needed

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by DozUK, Jan 27, 2017.

1. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

Hi, I'm in a casual hotlapping competition with friends. We give ourselves a month to get the fastest time on a car/track combo. We don't get that much time on the game so a month gives enough time to really get to have fun with a car and learn a track.

This month is the Ferrari 458 GT2 on Barcelona GP, both car and track are amazing.

I started off getting 2 mins plus times, but over the month I've got it down to 1.54.something. The fastest so far in the competition is less than a second from this 1.53.something. I know I can beat my ghost as most of the way through I'm ahead of it, but somehow I just can't repeat the closing stages from my best run. I'm now extremely consistent and pretty much get 1.55-1.54 on every run.

Now this is my conundrum, I set up a race weekend on hard mode with 15 opponents and started the qualifying sessions. Without doing a run myself I noticed that all the ai beat my time, with the fastest being 1.47.. On very hard, they're even quicker. I actually thought I was doing well before this!

I then went into replay mode and took the camera of the fastest car and reviewed his fasted lap from the in car view so I could see both his shifts and the speed (mph) at which he shifts. The fuel he carried was the same as mine, and the speed at which he shifts a gear was the same as mine however he appeared to reach that speed quicker than me. So my conclusion is that his car is accelerating quicker than mine was.

Does anyone have any advice as to how/why this is. With my current set up (As mentioned), I'm consistent and couldn't think of anyway where I could gain 6 seconds +

My tires are hot after a lap (Front left hot after first turn) but I've not been able to dial this out.

Thanks

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Tuning out high Spring / Return-to-center with SC2 Pro? Feb 7, 2022
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres New way of engine tuning.. Jan 18, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Tuning Saves/Tuning Sep 7, 2020
    Physics Bugs & Issues Help on tuning Mod car Braking distance Feb 3, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Fanatec DD Tuning Dec 19, 2019
    ACC Physics Tuning setup while pitting May 28, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Camber fine tuning with the stock apps? Jan 20, 2018
    Chit Chat Room i7 2600K Fine Tuning Overclock questions (speedstep,offset,etc..) May 20, 2017
    Suggestions Suspension and brake balance tuning for all cars Apr 24, 2017
    Console Lounge Tuning Help Needed Jan 18, 2017
    Console Lounge Drift Tuning Guide Jan 4, 2017
    General modding discussion Adding tuning Dec 30, 2016
    Console Lounge Tuning!? Oct 2, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Help understanding AC car tuning values please? Sep 25, 2016
    Console Lounge Tuning Question Sep 20, 2016

3. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

Because the AI is bugged?

Edit : just checked qualifying times for real world GT3 cars, and they are around 1:47, so that should be doable.

It's probably just because you are at the limit of your talent.

4. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

>>It's probably just because you are at the limit of your talent.

That's more than likely the answer

5. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

Wheel or controller?

6. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

I'm controller, the guy who's beating me by sub second is using a wheel.

I'm starting with warm tires in my hotlap and they go red quickly (Front left on first turn, others follow soon). The ai starts cold, has a slow lap then gets the good lap on the 2nd run.

It's possible that their tires are in a better place on 2nd lap than mine are when from staring on warm?

7. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

Very possibly, front tyres can be tough to manage with a controller, because it's just so easy to have so much steering angle in the corner, where as you wouldn't be able to put in that much steering angle with the wheel, without forcing against the force feedback, so you just end up scuffing the tyres and over heating them.

AC isn't as bad as PCars in this respect, but it's still an issue.

Seria17hri11er, pippo10 and ZX636 like this.
  8. ZX636

ZX636 Hardcore Simmer

Agreed. I use a pad as well and a few days ago I tried the special event with the F40 at Mugello. End of the lap, front tyres' temps were 115-120°C. It's really hard to be smooth with a controller, and consequently the tyres suffer a lot.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  9. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

Thanks, all makes sense.

I believe the tires start at 16psi cold and 25/26 warm. I'm thinking at the start of lap 2 the ai tires could be between 20-22 and be at a better starting point for lap 2 than I am when starting with 25 and quickly rising.

I'll try turning off warm tires, running a lap and seeing how I perform on lap 2 against my starting on warm. May help, may not.

Thanks for your advice

10. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

I'm not quite sure why a sim like AC can't use the strength of the (apparent) FFB in a particular situation to soft limit the amount (or at least slow it) steering that controller users can apply, it seems such a simple solution to an issue.

That said, some might say the dirty word "assist" because of it...........

11. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Hm, I dont think youre supposed to use that low pressure in the tyres on console atm. On PC you are, but thats because of the latest patch that you will get soon. Try to use ~25 in the setup and see what kind of times you get.

12. Graveltrap

Graveltrap Alien

Hey Doz,

How are things, good to see you over here!

Tyre pressure is a key thing to get right in this game, it can make a huge difference to lap times when you stumble over the "ideal" hot figure, more so than tyre temperature!

Unfortunately finding that figure is a somewhat laborious process, but to me it sounds like you are using under inflated tyres, so gradually increase until you find what is working best.

If you have tyre wear on the peak performance of the tyre will often only last a lap or two (softs or super soft), so better to use tyre warmers and hit hard from the start using the lowest fuel load possible.

Use hotlap mode and restart, rather than running an outlap, set fuel load to minimum and just run two laps. Beware using restart does reset your time!

I'm not much cop in a GT2/GT3 car so not in a position to help further than that.

13. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I just looked it up, ideal pressure hot are 35 on gt2 tyres

ideal on gt3 tyres are 33

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  14. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

In real life it's not really that straight forward, it's simple in AC because there is a hardcoded ideal pressure variable.

MBK72 likes this.
  15. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

If he was driving a gt2 car in real life he wouldnt have asked about how to improve here on the forum anyway so I assumed it was in AC he needed help

16. MBK72

MBK72 Hardcore Simmer

The AI is using the automatic gearbox - watch the upshifts they are always perfectly timed at the first bar of the red zone. There is also an acceleration advantage with the auto on the Xbox One for certain cars. Try it for yourself and see, change nothing else in the setup just switch on auto gearbox and see if you are faster. If you watch the AI lines the auto box has no risk included for mid corner downshifts and they can also use far more of the kerbs without spinning. If you want to see the difference in auto to manual stability (with stability set at 0% so nothing to do with the stability control settings) attempt to drive your manual car on the grass (you will pirouette) and then try the same in the automatic car, you can drive as normal.

Once you get a setup that works for you on the car you can go faster with the manual gearbox once again. It's an odd situation but one that definitely exists.

17. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

Bit of a combative reply, but anyway..........

Tyre pressure isn't a set "this is right, this is wrong", lots of variables influence the ideal pressure, including but not limited to, track temp, type of circuit, car weight, fuel load, suspension settings etc.

Not knowing that AC uses a fix variable for ideal pressure could have you barking up a lot of wrong trees.

MBK72 likes this.
  18. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

didnt meant my post in a bad way if it sounded like that
    [​IMG]

Seria17hri11er and MBK72 like this.
  19. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

Exactly.
    I should have prefixed the first part of my post with "In real life"

20. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

A few things:

- A setup may enable you to be quicker because it will be more comfortable, but at 1:53 there is something wrong with your racing lines for sure.
    - Try practising with the soft tyres rather the super soft. 17 pressure on all four.
    - Minimum final gear ratio + slider on the right for 6th + 5th speed somewhere in the middle between 4th and 6th
    - increase TC and rear wing until you don't lose the rear
    - be patient with the throttle on most corners

Mauler_77 likes this.
  21. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

The console havent got the latest patch yet so they still want a bit more pressure. :)