1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Twitchy wheels

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by John Caetano, Oct 5, 2018.

1. John Caetano

John Caetano Racer

Hi all. Been really getting into the whole sim racing bit and one thing I’ve been seeing a lot of on both real live videos and in some player videos is the steering wheel twitch. I have a G27 wheel and never have felt the wheel force this. Is this a ffb thing or a style of racing to avoid losing traction/spin outs? Any info or pointing me to why this happens would appreciate! Happy racing.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics All Porsche cars are kind of twitchy (in terms of control) compared to the other cars Feb 5, 2020
    Chit Chat Room How to not be twitchy with Xbox controller? Jul 21, 2018
    Bug reports Problem with G25 in AC on ps4: steering with racecars becomes twitchy when changing settings Sep 21, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Gamepad handling twitchy due to insufficient speed sensitivity range May 7, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Twitchy chase cam with high fps Jun 7, 2015
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Better FFB in ACC for low-medium range wheels? Dec 10, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Steering wheels & Linux OS Feb 14, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals how can i set up thrustmaster T80 Ferrari 488 wheels on Assetto Corsa? Dec 28, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Wheels and pedals Oct 10, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions WTF, thrustmaster tmx wheels still lose all FFB in races. Mar 22, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Spawned at pitlane without wheels in MP Nov 30, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions CSL DD compatible with Wheelstand Pro V2 Aug 29, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Fanatec Wheels (CSl DD) Aug 21, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Best Wheels to Play Assetto Corsa Competizione Aug 18, 2021
    ACC Physics Car losing drive or spinning wheels, car seems to do burnout, no brake applied Apr 29, 2021

3. D_Rod

D_Rod Gamer

Not so much a style but you nailed it :)

John Caetano likes this.
  4. Rehooja

Rehooja Simracer

They are catching slides. With GT3 car the slides can happen really snappy and you need to have good reflexes to catch them before it's too late. Slides can easily happen due to the oversteery setups of the car and driver overdriving them. Key is to be smooth with pedal and steering input to avoid these as slides cost you lap time no matter how short they are. You'll learn to catch these with practice. At first I did not understand what to do in a slide situation and often span out. Then I learned to countersteer but not to correct after that and I used to spin out in the other direction. But after doing many many hours of sim racing I learned to counter-steer and correct these slides catching them with a good probability.

Here is a video tutorial what a snap-oversteer is and how to save it.

Tip: In the video he mentions squeezing the throttle. This is very important as it helps to settle the weight during the slide and can really be a make-it-or-brake-it factor. It is a very subtle squeeze. So if you get into a slide don't let your throttle off, rather push it just a tad more to keep the weight balanced.

Also check out this great blog about using oversteer to your advantage:
    https://driver61.com/uni/oversteer/

Now go and try it your self. The feeling is great when you get it right :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    John Caetano likes this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Racer

Depending which wheels are more on their limit. Could be catching little oversteer slides, it also could be this:

And it can be both :D

Ace Pumpkin, chuky and Rehooja like this.
  6. Rehooja

Rehooja Simracer

I love this technical stuff. FEED ME MOAR!

7. Nao

Nao Alien

Modern GT cars have quite light steering, the twitching you in onboards is a combination of a) driver trying to feel the grip by moving the steering wheel b) preemptive movement based on drivers knowleage/feeling/memory of the places where car gets unstable and c) bumps or g-forces pushing the driver's arms around pulling on the wheel.

You can use FFB to save spins but part "b)" takes precedence. That is: if you expect the car to be unstable in some place, FFB can be used as a trigger to spin saving action, but unless it's a street car in AC you can't really use just FFB only to know when car wants to spin.

Also concerning "a)", by twitching the steering left to right, you want to look for how car yaws.
    - If for example the car does not change it's rotation speed at all, it means you are understeering and you will be better off with less steering.
    - When it suddenly rotates faster as you momentarily turn the wheel into the turn, it means you were on the limit of grip and car wants to oversteer - you are on the ball and car can't turn any better.
    - Sometimes when cornering you will feel that car rotates faster as you turn away from corner, it means that car is 4 wheel sliding already and to save it radical measures have to be taken: hard, fast countersteer, or turn deeply into the turn - something very rarely used in real racing but quite useful in simracing, and give the car mild amount of throttle to load the rear tyres.

As you gain experience in how car yaw rate changes when steering or driving around the track, take mental notes what happens to FFB. After some time FFB will become more helpful in getting the "feel" of the car, and you will notice more details.

8. John Caetano

John Caetano Racer

Great stuff guys. Makes sense. Will have try pay more attention to this while driving. :)