1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Two things that always kind of bug me about racing sims.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by poet, Aug 5, 2014.

1. poet

poet Hardcore Simmer

Hi,
    Not a whine, loving the game, just 2 things I think should be easy to sort that I'd love to see more.

1. Grass.
    I find it hard to believe given the level of graphics capabilities these days, that we still need to use 1 grass texture across an entire track.
    I've done race days and lots of the time you use a bit of a weed sticking up out of the grass, or a blade of grass overgrowing the white line as your braking marker.
    Surely it should be relatively easy to do some kind of overlay layer that adds a few bits of vegetation that aid the driver. You could even make a simple procedural layer that changes over time, forcing racers to find new markers for braking etc.

2. Tuning.
    I know, many LOVE getting into the nitty gritty of every little nut and bolt in the car, and that's cool, but its not for everyone. I like Racing Sims, not Mechanic Sims. I'd love to see either a simplified tuning menu for us plebs that aren't as knowledgeable about wangdoodles and doohickys, or at least some simple templates like: Fast corners & long straights, bumpy and kerb riding, tight and slow....
    I know enough that I can tell some cars are really poorly setup for certain tracks, but I don't really have the time or knowledge to fix it properly. :(

Thanks for listening. :)

Ray HT, Dick Forrest, Limo and 3 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] Sixty Simthings Jan 31, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Strange things after loading mid-save race Dec 9, 2022
    ACC User Interface DLSS Problem. Image Scalingis missing [DLSS and IS are two different things] Nov 24, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Removing not important things in graphical option Aug 20, 2021
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap Challenge 222 - Italian Merc with a Bent Panorama view of things. Apr 17, 2021
    ACC Physics Help understanding a couple of things in the dampers histogram Jan 26, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions First things First Oct 28, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Kunos, are these two things possible? Oct 4, 2020
    General modding discussion is it possible to change textures of things like vegetation and buildings? Sep 14, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Stupid things wreaking a good game Aug 16, 2020
    Chit Chat Room I don't have permissions to view and download things Jun 29, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Things we would like to see added or enhanced in ACC (not a bug compliant thread) Jun 24, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Several things Apr 5, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting A couple of things I noticed Feb 5, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting weird things happening with f7 cam Feb 4, 2020

3. Dennis Neo

Dennis Neo Racer

I agree :)

4. plaid

plaid Alien

1. I mostly dont recognise it. Rather from a AAA-title then a niche-game I would expect rather for animated people in the boxes, like in RRRE and animated pit stops + more detailed enironments, so small hills a few rocks and plants and stuff that let it look less plain outside the actual track.
    +Cause performance, grass usually dont have shadows, which let it always look off and not very pretty.
    While thats just the looks.

2. I believe on racedepartment you can find setups for different tracks for some cars, to deal with that or ask people hear/steamfriends (you can save setups so you only deal with it once).
    Im have no clue what I do and just use aero, tire-pressure, rideheight and suspension-softness for vague adjustments for the track and make cars more drivable (higher aero for MP4 12C GT3 f.e.), but its cool to work with it or rather will be if you know what you do and you are free to set the setup to your personal driving style.
    Adds overall depth to the game, as would pit-strategies etc..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  5. Soulvex

Soulvex Hardcore Simmer

Hold you're mouse over the settings for car setup and it tells you what they do.

iVG likes this.
  6. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe Simracer

rFactor actualy has the slider for easy setup, as you suggest.

7. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

It's this, but if you're not sure where you want to find time on the track, and which part of a corner you can improve the car then you're probably not at the limit and shouldn't be worrying about setup yet. Once you're at the limit and you've tried adjusting your racing lines and driving style to try to get around the car's problems but still can't go any faster you can't help but know what to adjust. For example you might be screaming for more front end bite on turn in, and less understeer under power.... then you'll find the solution pretty quickly in AC's setup pages. Setting up the car isn't difficult, finding the absolute limits of the car is the tricky part which takes time and practice.

A lot of people grumble that they don't have time for setting the car up but it's a big part of sim racing, if you don't put the hours in you can't expect to compete against someone who has. It would be like me grumbling that I'm slow at karting because I'm so heavy, but I can't expect everyone else to get fat too. It'll take time and effort for me to lose weight but I'll go faster and feel a great sense of achievement if I succeed. Same with setups.

I agree about the grass and trackside areas though, more detail would be great.

8. Turk

Turk Alien

Nicer off tracks details are always nice but I'd think that more detailed road textures would be even more helpful. When possible I'd prefer to take my cues from the road itself but I guess new surfaces are too smooth for that.

I'm not great with setups, but I don't think a simplified version would really help. You do have to know what you're doing to get the most out of it. My time is restricted so I every time I consider spending time on setups I see it as time not spent on track. I do minor tweaks to gear ratios, tyre pressure and toe and camber to get tyres to better temperatures and I'm beginning to get my head around the rest but I just don't have the time or patients to spend the required amount of time testing.

I typically just download other peoples setups from racedepartment and then tweak that as needed.

9. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

TCLF likes this.
  10. Retrofly

Retrofly Gamer

Adding nicer grass means lowering the quality of something else. I'd rather have a nicer car model, than driving around in a red box surrounds by lush swaying grass.

Rememeber the law of diminishing returns applies to graphics. "Graphics" don't get twice as good year on year, its harder and hard to my siginicant graphical gains these days, unless we come up with a completly new way of woking.

[​IMG]

11. poet

poet Hardcore Simmer

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Anyone got any links to setups on Race Department? I looked and couldn't find any.
    Also anyone know if Kunos plans to include some setups per car/per track ala Race 07 (found that really useful).

Re the grass, there are many ways of doing it without intense 3d models, Richard Burns Rally is a great example of using sprite based vegetation for very little hit, something surely we can handle with 2014 kit?

12. The_EXorcist

The_EXorcist Rookie

I am always suffering understeer and oversteer. I think it may " help " having a car setup for a track, but its my driving thats the issue, too much speed on entry and to much throttle on exit. This is on me to essentially learn to drive. I used to do alot of DTR (old game i know) but finding the setup was the fun in it, the time and effort you put into it. I dont think it is fair that someone who has put 100 hours into learning a car and track in order to make a great setup for his driving style should suffer the insult of someone being able to just " Move a slider " to get a faster car

13. WannaBE

WannaBE Rookie

14. poet

poet Hardcore Simmer