1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Tyres! oh... it's raining...

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Sep 6, 2018.

1. mms

mms Alien

Thanks again, I'm personally fine with that. I think this will be the main point some people will cry about, my crystal ball predicts videos with people parking the car on the line and shouting "simcade" ;)

2. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

That's ok, you can discuss with people that are opened minded. You can't discuss let alone convince people that are already convinced about something and just want to deviate what you write or create, to suit their beliefs and convictions. It's just a waste of time

Kondor999, AurusCE, Ernie and 12 others like this.
  3. Leclettico

Leclettico Gamer

Maybe isn't the correct thread to asking it, but will the AI suffer all these dynamic conditions?
    If not, won't the offline races be more difficult regardless of AI level?

4. Aristotelis

Yeah it drives on the same surfaces

5. mms

mms Alien

IIRC the AI has the same physics, I can't see how they could not suffer from the same conditions.

6. Sba

Sba Racer

Could you elaborate a bit on this? Is it like in AC where the grip is the same on every part of the track? Or is there a racing line, just not "dynamically generated" but "scripted", while still having different amount of grip *on* and *outside* the line as you drive along?

7. mms

mms Alien

I think it's pretty clear that different parts of the track will have different grip.

8. Aristotelis

Yes of course. So the dry rubbered line, is created like in AC, with cars driving over it. The design though is much more specific and narrower than in AC. Outside the rubbered line the grip remains " mostly green". Marbles also form outside the rubbered line and you can collect them, with the effects I described in the initial post. Also the system can modify the line in a way that in a race it can get worse instead of arriving at 100% and staying there... it can get pretty dynamic, definitely a step forward from AC
    But the best part of it all, is how the tyres react on top of it. It doesn't just modify the grip, but it modifies the behaviour of the tyre.
    As usual, don't expect night and day changes, everything is subtle, but with experience, definitely noticeable.

9. stephen_b

stephen_b Racer

Hi Aristotelis, a couple of questions if I may?

Does the AI use the same real time tyre model as the player, the same physics solver, damper model etc. or are some parts, understandably, simplified?
    With the track model/grip/wetness being somewhat scripted has this made it easier to keep track conditions synced across all players when in multiplayer? This is an area in which some other titles have struggled in my opinion.

Keep up the good work, thanks for the insightful posts, I look forward to checking everything out for myself come release.

10. I have a question regarding the pressures. Why do teams run a little bit lower than optimum? Is there any reason you can share or is it secret? :D Is it maybe because over the optimum point the fall off is bigger than below and the risk going over it is high? :)

11. Aristotelis

The AI uses the same tyre model. Stefano tried to optimize as much as he could, with some great improvements, but without simplifying the core physics.
    The track model/grip/wetness is only scripted in terms of the actual line designed. This is undoubtedly a compromise from one point of view, but also gives many advantages, one of them is being able to achieve a more realistic line of what is actually happening in real life track on such races. So you lose some, you gain some.
    Regarding your question about multiplayer, I believe that it will be easier for the netcode but I'm not the correct person to ask the implications.

12. mESCx

mESCx Simracer

Not the best decision IMO. Main point of all theese apps was to simplify user's work for creating and monitoring decent setup (since most of us don't have an engineer team and all weekend to make setup for single race).
    Now we will just have to spend even more time on that instead of actually racing (of course if someone want to in the last places he can skip this part), that's sort of depressing.

Georg Siebert likes this.
  13. Aristotelis

Well there are many things that happen to a tyre, depending on the pressure in it. I'll give you some examples.
    Less pressure, generates a softer spring rate, which can make the tyre absorb better the kerbs or bumps. Also generates more heat, because of the flex so if it is cold, this helps. Also lowers the car at speed so it might generate a bit more downforce...
    On the other hand, a higher pressure limits the sidewall flex making the tyre more precise. Moves the aero platform less so makes the car more stable and predictable (you'll see that the aero stability is really the most hard thing to setup with these cars). Also gives less rolling resistance... and so on

14. stephen_b

stephen_b Racer

^^^ I think most people would be best placed extracting the most out of the track, optimising their race line, working on their consistency then trying to get the last tenth or two out of the cars setup.

15. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Hi Aris.
    Any possibility to have a little video of tarmac going dry to wet?
    Or a timelapse showing clear sky to rainy clouds?

ciao

16. Leclettico

Leclettico Gamer

I'm referring to the different timing in reactions between humans and AI, not to a "no-physics" for AI.
    Maybe I wrote it in a bad english. My fault.

A human that enconunter a puddle have to "read" that event and react with a "human speed".
    But AI?

It's not a problem of AAC. I've been asking me for a long time: as the level of reality in a simulation increase, will the humans suffer the new interactions with the ambient (sun in the eyes, fog, less visibility) compared to the "speed" of an AI?

pons likes this.
  17. Raklödder

Raklödder Simracer

03:42 <--- click on me!

Thank you for another informative read. I'm sure you will receive a lot of positive feedback in regards to your physics, rain tires, surfaces and aquaplaning in the next few weeks.

However I most recently watched a video made by your team (video and timestamp linked above) where the car drives over several puddles, while making a strange (at least unfamiliar to me) engine stuttering sound.

Now I've never driven a GT car and would like to know whether that's what it does in real life (when speeding over a shallow/mid-sized puddle) or if it was an early development test video just showing what you had accomplished by late June?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Alistair McKinley likes this.
  18. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

Wow, fantastic reading. Thanks @Aristotelis .

We know you are busy and have a lot of info on your mind. Really appreciate the time you took to put it down in words. I think this should be part of a document/manual that needs to be placed somewhere (knowledge-base)

Cannot wait for more of this, particularly the aero stuff.

Hammerpgh and Alistair McKinley like this.
  19. Aristotelis

I think you mean the traction control that kicks in to save you from the puddles. Keep in mind that the scenario of the game you see in the video, is slick tyres. When the slick tyre goes in the puddle you have BIG problems.

Here's a real life video of the M6 that perfectly showcases the traction control in action
    02:21 <--- click on me too!

20. Raklödder

Raklödder Simracer

I didn't know it was running on slicks and you won't get an argument from me. Thanks for clearing that up!