1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Tyres! oh... it's raining...

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Sep 6, 2018.

1. PicoBp

PicoBp Rookie

That sounds and looks to be the loss of grip and the engine revving up while the wheels spin more freely. ;)

Raklödder likes this.
  2. Raklödder

Raklödder Simracer

I know, it makes sense, I just wasn't sure, but Aristotelis gave me a straight answer and cleared it up.

3. Naer

Naer Gamer

These posts are a very interesting reading @Aristotelis. Write one about the rating system and the matchmaking please, would be very appreciated. Thanks you and all the team for this amazing sim.

Micii1 likes this.
  4. Flavus

Flavus Racer

Great stuff Aris very informative. I think the most important thing I am getting out of this is that I NEED A DD WHEEL ASAP :D

Carla likes this.
  5. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Driver feedback? What's that mean?

About not dynamic racing line : since the cars involved are identical, the racing line should be always the same and single for these cars so on 2nd thoughts i guess that it's not so much a deal braker.
    I do prefer to have a better working tarmac when it's getting wet . Not like rf2 where the fastest wet line is the same with the dry one...so if you'd asked me i way much prefer this approach.

I would strongly like some inside regarding coding from @Lord Kunos on this, though.
    I am sure that he and the rest of the team decided which compromise is the least painful so i would like to know the reasons and benefits to invest to a rather static racing line.
    Thanks.

6. mms

mms Alien

The feedback they got from Blancpain drivers. They probably asked them where they experienced the line drying up, and the drivers provided the 3D track coordinates, then the track designers added the info to the track. Easy-peasy :D

Carla and D.Jankovic like this.
  7. JKI

JKI Gamer

Thank you for your effort in getting us a bit "behind the scenes" and "inside the game" before it is even released! I think everyone in the community appreciates that a lot!

Just one small question: Is it possible to get all "explanation texts" in a pdf document with the release of the game? Like a small manual?

8. LukasM55

LukasM55 Rookie

@Aristotelis

I have a question concerning tire grip in wet conditions.

First of all all the things previously stated sound awesome.

You mentioned that if the wet tire is able to deal with all the water there will be grip. As much grip as the tread mirrors on the asphalt. But will this be a compromised dry grip due to less contact area or is this still affected from a thin layer of water?

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, keep up the good work, can't wait for next week!

Gesendet von meinem STF-L09 mit Tapatalk

9. This is going to be absolutely fascinating to play with in a week! Thank you @Aristotelis !

10. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Yes obviously the wet tyre is different from the slick tyre, both in compound composition, contact area as well as in construction. As a result the grip levels and behaviour characteristics are completely different from the slick.
    Here's an anecdote. At some point at the development, we had an issue with the ambient/track temperature that stuck to 0°C. We didn't know that was the case though, so some of the devs were driving the car with slicks and reported back that it had become very nervous and edgy. We soon found out the problem, but before fixing the actual temperatures, I had a discussion with the guys about why the car would become so edgy. So I suggested to them, to try the wet tyres without looking at laptimes and give me feedback. They were surprised by how much "easy" the wet tyre would feel, up to the point they were convinced the laptimes were faster. Obviously, that wasn't the case, the wet tyre was still slower, but it gave so much more confidence while driving in those extreme situations.
    It's not casual that teams usually install wet tyres when they want to let a less experienced journalist to drive the cars.

Tim Meuris, D1visor, AurusCE and 12 others like this.
  11. JKI

JKI Gamer

That will be interesting. Listen to the commentators here: Click me (7:35:43)

trucidatio likes this.
  12. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

Nice one 'Slick' :D

13. alepaludo

alepaludo Gamer

Is the track cleaned between sessions?

Loeki and trucidatio like this.
  14. Aristotelis

Partially. Conditions get transferred from one session to the other, with slight differences

15. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Is that mostly for temperature range being ok even only using 10% of the car's capabilities, or also generally a more forgiving tire?

16. Aristotelis

Both by equal measure... also they often have many wet tyres to spare while the slicks are limited :D

17. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

Thanks Aris, quick question. When you speak to the Pirelli guys and receive the tire data are the guys nice and very approachable?

18. Aristotelis

I can never thank them enough. Amazing support and true enthusiasm about it. I'm not doing marketing talk, I really mean it. We got amazing support from practically everybody in the paddock, SRO guys, teams, engineers, drivers. Very competitive ambient and many secrets but the more they see the more they open, right up to unbelievable data share and exchange.
    Also very interested to see what we could do with the data and up to what point we could push the simulation.

19. So here's something interesting.... My car in the profile pic is around ~600kg, has 327hp at the wheels (~370hp at the crank). So is absolutely a rocket sled.

The difference between a high performance road tyre - Toyo R1R and a proper semi slick Dunlop DZ03G (Mediums) :
    The DZ03'gs are absolutely terrifying in around 5-10 degree weather if you were to push the car in any way. Even just "gently" pulling away on a wet road you have to be so cautious not to get wheelspin. In the dry there still very little progression and very limited warning, along with stupidly low levels of grip.
    Whereas the R1R's are at least driveable. On the track it only takes 3 laps before the R1Rs overheat and get all squirmy.
    As the temperature increases the DZ03s come into their own, once you're in the 20's with the tyres warmed up it's like a rocket sled. Full throttle 2nd gear would be accelerating with mild wheelspin but still pulling whereas the R1Rs would just bounce off the limiter the minute wheelspin started occuring.

If I were giving the keys to someone else, I would put it on R1Rs. They'd be less likely to kill themselves and have a lot more warning before game over.

*Very excited* to try ACC out with this new tyre modelling.

20. Aristotelis

I think you'll be happy :)

edit: although keep in mind that the wet tyres are still racing tyres. So yes, easier, but not road level easy.