1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Using ABS in modern racing cars (GT3 GT4 P1GTR FXXK)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by hgaouar, Jul 11, 2018.

1. hgaouar

hgaouar Gamer

Hello Racers,

In some racing cars ABS can be tuned to prevent more or less tyre lock.

I tried both, for example ABS 1 and ABS 8. I feel the difference while driving but i can't tell what is the fastest. I can't tell if my braking distance is different.

Does using ABS 8 is faster than ABS 1 ?

How should i use the brake pedal with different ABS settings ?

Should i try to avoid triggering ABS ? Even on GT3 cars ?

Should i just use ABS1 Smash the brake forget it and let the electronics do the job ? What reals racers do ?

Is ABS just a safety feature or the new way of braking with electronics assistance, because computer > human ?

I know about degressive braking.

Thx you racers for all your infos.

Eduardo AuKiss and paul_wev like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Using g27 + 360 joypad as handbrake and abs Jul 22, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Using a 360 Pad with ABS Off? Feb 27, 2014
    Physics Bugs & Issues AI not using ABS Jan 19, 2014
    ACC Troubleshooting Major Lag/Freeze, Causing Hud and Cars to disappear and reappear Feb 24, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC Causing System Restart in the Menus [HW instability] Apr 25, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Disable neck motion when using camera with helmet overlay in VR? Mar 29, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting issue with pausing the game Jan 26, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality ACC crashing due to out of VRAM when using VR Jan 24, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Can you change default car setups using Content Manager? Nov 3, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC 1.8: Manual gears using square and x buttons? Sep 29, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Using Xpadder with ACC Aug 16, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Server behind load balancer can't connect to lobby using publicIP option Aug 1, 2022
    ACC User Interface When using the FocusPlayerCar Hotkey whilst not driving in team races, hotkey doesn't work Jul 16, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Weird gfx/colour Issue when using Oculus Rift. Mar 19, 2022
    Bug reports Pausing Mar 17, 2022

3. chakko

chakko Alien

It really depends on your driving style and the track. I found though that ABS setting is much less of a hinderance than traction control can be. Traction control IMO is the really sensible setting. Sometimes you are faster using low TC settings, sometimes a little power drift out of the corner can be pretty useful. Experiment, and see how it affects your lap times. Noone will be able to tell you what settings you should use, IMO, because it's pretty much driving style, car, and track dependant.

I usually set ABS to the highest settings, 11 or 12. That mostly gives good braking power, without the chance of overbraking the car.

4. hgaouar

hgaouar Gamer

I mostly do this because i found it more fun... But fun doesn't mean faster !

5. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

WHen I start a session I usually leave ABS where it is and set TC somewhere around the middle, like 6/12, and then adjust it over time as the tires start to become worse and the car becomes lighter due to using up fuel. In the end you can only run laps on different settings and see for yourself with which settings you are fast enough without it becoming uncomfortable for you.

paul_wev likes this.
  6. ABS lowest value is the most aggressive, highest value is the most un-intrusive. That's to mean that ABS=1/12 is the max electronics aid during braking. Setting ABS to a higher value (=less ABS work) can be useful to tune the temperature of front tyres. It usually alows front tyres to lock for just tiny moments, letting the temperature increase a bit or stay stable without flatspotting the tyres. So, IF I got it right, the fastest setting for hotlaps in a perfectly grippy track, with softest tyres available and with the option to brake in a straight line, would be 1/12. But conditions are always different and I'm afraid ABS values that are the fastest in a situation could be not the best choice in others.

7. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I don't drive cars with multiple ABS settings very often but when I do I tend to use the highest value. I don't hear any locking with the least aggressive setting so assume a lower value would be too intrusive and restrict brake performance.

Neilski likes this.
  8. I like to brake deep into corners and therefore pretty much always use the most aggressive setting 1. For my driving style it's usually the fastest and of course also the safest.

LChaves likes this.
  9. Skybird

Skybird Alien

ABS setting corresponds with weather. Where ABS is allowed, pro drivers and teams usually use it. On tracks I know well, I can keep my lap times wihtin one half of a second, if I stay focussed. Different ABS settings do not impact on my times, but generous use of ABS makes the driving more comfortable. Only on some occasions I feel that turns are taken more difficult, usually tight, fast turns. I then reduce ABS, until that feeling is gone.

10. Serge M

Serge M Alien

There just isn’t such a thing as fastest setting. It really comes down to how you brake

11. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

I never really have messed with the ABS, but I suppose it's how long you can hold the brake at 100% & turn in at the same time. Some hold the brake at 100% until mid entry & apparently it's driving skill that lead to 4 sec advantage.

12. chakko

chakko Alien

Yep. Sort of.

13. (Don't feed the troll.)

After_Midnight likes this.
  14. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

I'm not trolling & I got trolled from it.

It's exactly what it does.

15. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

It seems very apparent to me that releasing the brake improves turn in but I guess that must be placebo as ^ this guy has a g-meter to back his claims up.

nate and martcerv like this.
  16. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

In some corners, I use late braking to help rotate the car

Of coarse brake bias has to be moved more towards the back, than default, ABS set to the minimum, and not just jumping all over the brakes, to invoke ABS anyway.

17. Well, sort of. It just changes the slip ratio that the ABS starts working at. That will correlate with how far you can go into a corner on the brakes before they lock, but that's not how it's controlled.

18. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Mad cause bad

19. go.neil

go.neil Gamer

Mixed bag answers to say the least. I use TC1 and ABS1... IDK if that helps or not, but looking at some top laps in RSR, they show some settings and all are off as far as I can remember. They are aliens, and I am not. But at least I can make it up to 0.5 seconds slower than the lap times they post. I tried to turn everything off and yes it works! Because I always run off track. :rolleyes: Cheers mates!

20. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Are you checking by hovering over the ABS/TCS symbols on RSR or just going by the symbols/symbol colour itself? If symbols then a lot of those will be off (x %) ... as in not always 0%. ABS off is ok in cars with adjustable brake bias but I just wondered if you might be going by the symbols rather than percentage.

21. I guess he's still salty about that Nords lap #hacker