1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Using custom liveries online

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Prince Magnus, May 23, 2016.

1. Any news on custom liveries in online racing? Is it at all in the backlog, or is it not going to happen in near future?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC User Interface Custom liveries causing Unreal crash Oct 29, 2019
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues No rumble when using 360 pad as custom wheel May 28, 2017
    ACC Troubleshooting Major Lag/Freeze, Causing Hud and Cars to disappear and reappear Feb 24, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC Causing System Restart in the Menus [HW instability] Apr 25, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Disable neck motion when using camera with helmet overlay in VR? Mar 29, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting issue with pausing the game Jan 26, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality ACC crashing due to out of VRAM when using VR Jan 24, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Can you change default car setups using Content Manager? Nov 3, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC 1.8: Manual gears using square and x buttons? Sep 29, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Using Xpadder with ACC Aug 16, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Server behind load balancer can't connect to lobby using publicIP option Aug 1, 2022
    ACC User Interface When using the FocusPlayerCar Hotkey whilst not driving in team races, hotkey doesn't work Jul 16, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Weird gfx/colour Issue when using Oculus Rift. Mar 19, 2022
    Bug reports Pausing Mar 17, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Using PS4VR on PS5 for ACC Mar 12, 2022

3. Maki89

Maki89 Racer

Using custom liveries online would force people to download them and could lead to lag and unwanted bandwidth usage.

4. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

iRacing has it via TradingPaints, and it works great, never experienced a lag or a bandwidth, so its not an excuse for shure...;)

5. Yami

Yami Racer

Year 2016, please do not join online races if your connection cannot handle at most 10 skins each 10-15~ mb at most (kunos skins around 7-10mb)with a bandwidth control.
    if I make the calculation imagine 10 players joining the server with custom skin at the same time this is kinda extreme for AC.

150mb~~ this takes 2 mins 37 seconds with 8mbit download speed.
    8mbit isn't much but to be fair control it to 4mbits at most ande it'll take 5 mins 14 seconds for all those. 4Mbits isn't much to ask in 2016.

Compress the skins before sending and (I tried 150mbit worth of skins) all together only makes 35mb.
    it takes 2 minutes and 26 seconds with 2mbit of download speed and 4 minutes 52 seconds with 1 mbits of download speed.

1 Mbit is nothing, and this is for 10 Player joining at the same time.
    So you make those people play with plain color cars before their skins are loaded.

Also if your pc cannot handle opening archives while playing (CPU Bound), you are probably already playing with 20 Fps, in AC we are mostly GPU Bound.

I hope this makes a point.
    Also iRacing and LFS are the games I know have it.

I beleive in Stefano he is an amazing coder and I admire him being one myself.

6. That's not true. For years you have been able to use custom liveries online in both simulators and sim-cade racing games.

I have absolutely no reason to believe Kunos don't know how to do it. It's priorities, and it would be nice with an official update on the status for custom liveries.

7. Maki89

Maki89 Racer

I am just speaking from other games I have played in the past that were not racing games.

8. kRush

kRush Gamer

You think you're getting custom liveries if you can't even choose from the standard ones? LOL
    Btw, how is that livery contest coming along? So many quality entries, I would love to not being able to choose one of those!

9. henri

henri Hardcore Simmer

First it's not iRacing service. It's independent. You are the first I have heard to say it's great and doesn't have any lag. Mostly you download those tradingpaint skins before you join the server. That's why there is not that much lag. And it uses lo-res 1024x1024 skins.

I think it's possible to make similar service for AC. Not sure though how anyone could make it profitable. Server cost would massive.

10. Yami

Yami Racer

It shouldn't be that hard, and also we can chose from skins but in booking mode.
    if Stefano (@Lord Kunos), wants it, he can implement it in a day and test/fix it within 3 I beleive. Thing is priorities because Kunos is not a big studio so we've to be patient twice, tree times compared to big studios.

We are talking about couple of guys acomplished to create games like NetKar and Assetto Corsa with their OWN engine, this is really hard and needs huge amount of skill and knowledge.
    There're nothing they can't implement into the game, and they're also passionate about their game, not just making a game. (if you've read Aris's letter, you would know).

So probably this will happen one day in future, I beleive it'll happen before AC 2.0 or with it and I can't wait the see AC 2.0 and what it brings to us.
    Still quite a long way to go from 1.6 tho.

11. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Old and busted: Simulation experts. New: Feature effort estimation experts :D
    No offense, though ^^ Just a little fun. I think 3 full days are a lot of time for the Lord and testing is for beginners.

You are not only about selecting your livery(1), but also distribute custom liveries(2) because AC is built openly wide to modders (3).
    Online livery distribution should be handled carefully. We are living in a world where browsers interpreting .PNG data can get your system owned (and e.g. encrypted) by using a common browser, why would I trust much more complicated data interpreted by a less security-audited ? Also, many custom liveries aren't that small with 4k resolution, while SSD drives aren't endless. Ah, and the download had to happen from the acServer which could induce traffic & lag.

Overall custom liveries look like a huge loss of control for both admins and drivers, not worth it.

(1) which would cause any connected client to fly-by load it when you join the server. Do you know about the religion some people have when it comes to stuttering and input lag? So you can't just load it, but load it with little performance impact.
    (2) The program doesn't even know which livery is vanilla and which is modded.

Seria17hri11er and Thomas Gocke like this.
  12. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Are you really ok with adding 2:40 to load times for online races? Personally I would turn it off unless it was effectively instant (shorter than track load times anyway, since it can parallel those)

13. ouvert

ouvert Alien

As you said .. option to turn it off, or even postpone downloading after track is loaded ..
    So track is loaded normaly, than skins begins to download .. should be done before race starts .. unless there is some engine limitation that prevents from applying skin when already ingame (technically showroom is ingame and you can change skins so ... )
    Also you don`t need to download the same skin more than once .. so if you race with regular bunch of guys it is no longer an issue ..

Somebody said that skin has ~150MB .. that is few seconds of download on average cheap european connection (+upload on other side) .. I realize that some/a lot countries might have bellow average internet options but they could wait or turn it off ...

14. Stereo

Stereo Alien

That's certainly the case right now, the engine wasn't written to allow that so adding it would require full on testing (which is not a matter of a day...) Changing from "texture resources are static once game loaded" to "textures are sometimes changing" is actually a pretty huge difference and you can't assume it'll just work.

15. Minolin

150 MB would be a pretty bad quality with 4K or more resolution skin, maybe including template files. Kunos liveries have 3-10 MB, most customs I've seen below 50 MB.

But still, as you said - there is upload to do on the other side. Usual dedicated servers are pretty much limited by both bandwith and CPU (depends, of course), you don't want to add an upload of all current custom liveries to everybody who joins the server.
    Also, as you said, average cheap european connections have pretty good download rates and would use the resources on the server during login/upload. Assuming 10 - 100 MB per livery and 24 slots with custom liveries, we're talking about 240 MB - 2,4 GB, every single time a new driver without the skins joins.

16. ouvert

ouvert Alien

than limiting quality of online skins to 10 MB .. dds+json of my skins have ~5.7MB ... and you don`t need preview file ... so 240MB max for 24 strong grid ...
    I`m not trying to imply it is simple "ALLOW_CUSTOM_MP_SKINS=1" change ..

Anyway how does leagues works at this momnt.. is there an option of preloading skins to server or no option for custom MP skins at all ? (even if you know in advance exactly which skins are gonna be used)

But technically engine allows changing skin when engine is already loaded ... if so .. than there is a good base to build on :)
    .... matter of day ? I`m expecting something like till the end of the year (Soon TM) :)

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  17. Stereo

Stereo Alien

In a booking server you can either assign skins through prebooking (custom or base content) or let people pick the skin when they book (again, custom or base content). If it's prebooked they can join anytime, if they book they have to do so before practice session starts. So afaik leagues prefer prebooking since people can just join any time before the race itself.

People who have the skins see them, people who don't get blank skins.

18. Yami

Yami Racer

@Minolin
    I do not agree with you on this topic, so do not browse internet, do not go out because some crazy guy can stab you why would you trust less educated random people on the steerts?
    and you are a coder, I am a coder.
    There can be put a limit of file-size, say max 15mb. Kunos skins look fine to me and with JSON everything they are 15mb~~ at most.
    There can be put a switch button, "Do not download online skins", like there's in CS:GO for example you can chose to not download server custom sounds.
    and There can be an option for Download Bandwidth, Upload bandwidth.

Also someone thought it'll happen on loading screen and he'll wait, it happens in CSGO you wait while downloading, it happens in many games and you wait 1-2mins~~,
    it happens in LFS and in LFS it is on the fly, you do not wait, an old game.

People who doesn't know custom liveries think I am suggesting a radical change that have never been acıomplished by anyone else in any other game, in fact this is
    simple feature of almost all Multiplayer based games nowadays.

This will be my last post on this particular subject.

19. On the list of priorities for Kunos, this is probably #3749 on the list.

Tiago Lima likes this.
  20. Minolin

Actually you'd be surprised how much I'm restricting myself with media use.
    But I just wanted to add a new aspect to the discussion, nothing more. Sorry again to offend you.

Yami likes this.