1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

VR and GPU pair - Looking for some advice

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by N.Madeira, Apr 15, 2021.

1. N.Madeira

N.Madeira Gamer

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice based on your own personal experience if you have been on a similar journey.

I'm currently running ACC on a i7-4790K 4GHz CPU and a nVidia 1080ti with 4K resolution using ~EPIC graphics detail, giving me circa 60fps (don't normally experience stutters and happy with what I have)

Now, I would like to experience the game in VR and thinking of buying either a Rift S or a Quest 2.
    If you have the same GPU and one of the above VR devices, I would appreciate your feedback on:

• Honestly, how does it compare to a big 4K screen? I know experience is different, so focus on graphics quality
    • Can you at least get 60fps, if so, what have you compromised? I've seen some settings on the forum to optimise GPU Performance, tell me your opinion if you've tried
    • I'm progressing still on my driving, shaving tenths of a second every month, I fear that moving to VR will bring me a couple of steps back while adapting to VR, did that happened to you? or you were just as fast?

Thank you for your contribution

2. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

They are completly different experiences , When i first started using VR i was really disapointed. The Resolution is silly compared to any monitor and the clarity horrible . And your eyes get tired On the other hand , once you get used to the low quality view, The real life perspective blows you away. It has been difficult to go back to a monitor. I only play in VR
    now , has i have not used a monitor for two years for simracing. However thinking of going back to a monitor as i do miss the clarity.

I have a 1080ti , and use reprojection at 45fps. an thats on a samsung oddesey , no idea what you will get on another headset

I did not see any difference in lap times when i was using both

I would get a second hand headset or see if you can borrow one , before you commit funds

3. SchlesiM

SchlesiM Gamer

As I already posted in this thread, moving to VR isn't a simple "plug & play" thing. It takes time to find the appropriate configuration and it's more invididual (depending on your euquipment) than it is when using a monitor. But IMHO it's absolutely worth it.

With VR I really enjoy racing a LOT more. It's by far more immersive and therefore feels more like "the real thing".

My experience was that after a (very) short period my times (and even more important: consistency) were better when racing in VR. Disclaimer: concerning lap times I'm most certainly not a benchmark but just an average driver. Therefore my main goal at the moment is consistency (for me this is the first step before I'll try to improve lap times significantly).

For me it was interesting that after racing in VR for a while, also when using a monitor my lap times got better. I think in VR you can train a track better simply because it's easier to identify more details and you can see all the thing you should see. After memorizing these details you also feel more comfortable even when racing with a monitor resulting in better and more consitent lap time.

At the moment I'm racing with AC, ACC and Raceroom and flying with MSFS2020 and Star Wars Squadrons. All with VR and I'm absolutely ennjoying it (even if performance and graphics quality always is an issue). Never used my monitor for these titles again since I made the switch to VR.

N.Madeira and The_Bad_Fasterd like this.
  4. N.Madeira

N.Madeira Gamer

Thank you guys for your feedback, I'm getting hold of a Rift S and see how it goes.

Thank you

5. marcos1988

marcos1988 Racer

I expect you to be limited CPU wise in VR, ofcourse GPU matters, but because every fame has to be rendered (drawn by cpu, filled by gpu) twice for every frame in VR, especially the CPU will get a big hit. GPU hit is controllable by reducing quality options like shadows, post processing, resolution scale and pixel density fairly easy.

marph likes this.
  6. bells0

bells0 Gamer

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get a Quest 2 this weekend. I have a Legion 5I laptop, and know the CPU aint great, the 2060 has been flashed. It runs on my 1440p monitor at 95hz with everying on high [my screen limit]

If it's terrible in ACC i'll just use it for Raceroom and AC and dip into the stand alone games.

I was looking into getting a used Rift S as would probably work better on my limited set up, but they are going for over £200 on ebay, and the fact Oculus have put a nail in its coffin and are only supporting the Quest means the Q2 is my only budget option.

7. Turk

Turk Alien

If you keep your expectations under control you can probably get ACC working, just at really reduced graphics. The good thing about VR is the immersion makes up for the lack of graphic fidelity. It won't look pretty but it will give you a good idea of how VR feels. AC runs really well in VR now.