1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

VR - my initial thoughts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by mike reynolds, Sep 15, 2017.

1. mike reynolds

mike reynolds Hardcore Simmer

Hi all

Just thought I post my initial thoughts on VR after receiving a Rift CV1 earlier this week:
    First up, as an experience, it is amazing, nothing else puts you in the car quite like it, incredibly immersive. That said I have suffered from some nausea, I thought I would as I’m prone to motion sickness but it’s getting better, and after 4 days of driving slow cars on flat tracks I can last about an hour now (Initially it was about 2 laps!)

My 1060 GPU is struggling though, everything is turned right down and I have the pixel ratio thing set to 1.3, this is OK for single cars and very small grids but it won’t cope on-line (I enjoy the SRS racing so this is a worry). Coming from being able to run pretty high settings on 4K, I’m also missing the picture like image quality for the much lower resolution in VR.

My other concern with it is my rig, odd one this but over the last 2 years I’ve been steadily upgrading…xbox to PC, wheel stand to Omega cockpit, adding a DS button box etc next on the list was fanatic pedals and maybe a DD wheel…..suddenly in VR all this feels redundant, what I’m sitting in and steering with kinda makes no difference, the experience is all about the VR. This might be great for some, but I like upgrading my rig, slowly adding to it over time, it’s part of the whole fun of sim racing for me.

This last one is a real puzzler for me, I’m really not sure which way I’ll go with it, for example, I think if I stick with VR, I really won’t feel the need to change my thrustmaster TX for a DD wheel….somehow in VR FFB seems less important as you are so connected with the environment anyway….again this should be a good thing but I don’t know how I feel about it in truth.

So my plan is to give it a couple of week, and then I will either stick with VR and buy a 1080 is put it on ebay and keep sinking money into upgrading my rig!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Screens & Videos Initial D Themed | Lan Evo 3 Drifts Down Irohazaka Downhill Jul 31, 2023
    Physics Bugs & Issues Initial fuel per lap is wrong for McLaren EVO at Monza Jul 10, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Game will not launch - stuck 'Initializing UI' when Nvidia surround is enabled. Jun 20, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality Image quality after initial install (openxr/open composite) Apr 20, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds ACC GPU usage 100% on initial menu Sep 7, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting 1.7.6 Crash Loading Replays [audio system not initializing properly] Mar 19, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC repeated crash at finish line of initial Career test session [unable to write to userdocs] Feb 28, 2021
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes UnitedRaceData.com - Initial Beta Release Jan 13, 2021
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Stuck at Initializing UI Mar 2, 2020
    Chit Chat Room How do you use manual transmission and drift like Takumi from Initial D on the mountain? Oct 6, 2019
    ACC Gameplay [1.0.10] Career mode (initial test) and AI performance. Sep 30, 2019
    ACC Audio Audio not initializing and spotter not talking May 4, 2019
    ACC User Interface Change initial setup option Mar 14, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting game crashes in VR when initially loading menu on launch (every time) Jan 9, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Cant open Assetto Corsa, configuration system failed to initialize Jan 20, 2018

3. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

Its bloody marvelous isnt it :D

DaveS78 and mike reynolds like this.
  4. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I guarentee that the experience is different, using a TX and a DD wheel, also in VR.
    Before you throw money at a DD wheel, think about adding simvibe first, as it really connects you even more in a tactile way.

Welcome onboard :D

PS: I have a 970 card, no real issues driving online, but I also have to go with 45fps ASW, which is fine for the moment. I've tested it on a 1080 rig too, 90Hz is better for sure, but you can not crank all settings even with a 1080. The CPU needs to be up for the task as well.

mms and mike reynolds like this.
  5. Turk

Turk Alien

I'd say the shock of how awesome VR is will ware off and you'll begin to notice the FFB again. Good FFB can add to the immersion of VR, there's been a few times where the shaker motors in the pedals feel like they're behind me and in certain situation the body just can't separate it all out and it all gets mushed into one immersive experience where your brain just trusts what it see's. Before VR I had no interest in but shakers or moving chairs but after seeing how simple FFB gets amplified in VR I'm beginning to think they have a place now.

CPU is my major bottleneck, I have a i7 2600K overclocked to 4.6ghz and it's still under strain. I just replaced the thermal paste on the chip so I'm going to try and push it a bit more. I have a 1070 GC and it seems well able.

Tim Meuris and mike reynolds like this.
  6. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

VR is a game changer and your comments are one more proof. Don't worry about making a choice the more you will drive in VR little by little driving without it will loose all appeal.
    If you absolutely need to spend money on your rig to be happy, motion will take care of that for you.:D

mike reynolds likes this.
  7. Tomcul

Tomcul Hardcore Simmer

The novelty will wear off the VR after a few months, then you will seek further upgrades, pedals, DD wheel, stronger rig for DD wheel, stand alone sequential shifter, H shifter, hydraulic handbrake etc etc etc!!
    But with VR all those things will IMO be just a little better and more satisfying to use!

HoiHman, DaveS78, Tim Meuris and 3 others like this.
  8. Jos_theboss

Jos_theboss Hardcore Simmer

A 4.6 ghz i7 is a bottleneck? :rolleyes:

9. bromstarzan

bromstarzan Hardcore Simmer

^^yes the i7 2600K is a bottleneck. I upgraded from just that to an i7 7700K. Now I can throw everything at it, in VR using pixel density 2.0 and full grids.

Mogster, mms, Turk and 1 other person like this.
  10. Turk

Turk Alien

Unfortunately the 2600K is the most my motherboard will take so to upgrade it I'd have to upgrade my motherboard and ram too. I think there's some extreme version of the i7 it will take but last time I looked it was still an obscene price.

11. Full_Ninja

Full_Ninja Racer

I'm in the same boat. Hoping I can hold out till next year for an upgrade.

Turk likes this.
  12. BrainsBush

BrainsBush Hardcore Simmer

Like others I also switched from traditional 2D screen (4K/HDR....) to VR. Immersion, experience we all know what I mean. Addicted!!! Luckily I had the opportunity to buy a way too expensive HP Omen with e.g. a 1080ti GPU. Therefor I can set all visual setting to max/ultra and still have 90fps in hotlap mode. Tbh I have not tried a race with multiple cars yet :oops:.

As said it was a ridicilous 'investment' but worth every euro cent.

Now looking forward to the upcoming complete VR race sims including menus etc. And hopefully somewhere in time also AC1 and/or AC2?

DaveS78 likes this.
  13. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Racer

I hated my Rift first month I used it. Could not be satisfied with the image quality at all. However, I didn't gave up on it and after some time I really enjoyed it, I think my brain forgot that ultra crisp image quality my monitor delivered to me.
    I thought at first, that my wheel ffb was weird somehow lol but it was a placebo effect. I got used to it after some time.

Also I tried something earlier today. I used my monitor and did several laps at Nurburgring GP with the Porsche GT3, and my best time was 1.5 seconds slower than using Rift. 3 laps with Rift was enough to be 1.5s faster.

Even with the 1070 gtx running with a 7700k, it struggles in VR. I ended up putting most settings in game to max and using 1.0 ppd. That way I can play online with a full grid at 90fps with only some slow downs here and there. Got a decent image quality. Specially changing the nvidia setting "image quality" from quality to high quality. The reflection frequency, smoke and shadow consumes the most of the performance. Also PP effects is killer but turning it off you get a boost! The down side is you can't see the other's car brakelights. Too bad.

I would like to understand why VR demands so much video power.
    In full hd monitor, alone in the track I get like 180fps... crazy huh

14. Check this for headlights

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/natural-graphics-mod-oculus-rift-filter.11146/

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/pp-filter-for-oculus-rift-cv1.13651/updates

15. Wow I thought, well by looking the specs anyway, that this combo would be very capable in vr. Do you suggest going with the 1080 from your experience.

16. Skybird

Skybird Alien

The difference between 1070 and 1080TI is immense, you can find benchmarks showing raises of 30, 40 % ! Thats why the 1080TI costs so much.

Just as an example for a random find via Google:

Game.......................GTX 1070..................... GTX 1080 ti
    Gears of War 4........67.2 FPS avg..................109.1 FPS avg
    Rise Tomb Raider...71.2 FPS avg................. 113.1 FPS avg
    GTA V.....................62.7 FPS avg...................73.7 FPS avg
    PUBG.....................41.6 FPS avg....................68.9 FPS avg

17. @Skybird Did you read my post when you quoted it? I am very aware that the 1080 and especially the 1080ti are vastly better cards in than the 1070 and that this performance obviously costs more. My question to someone who actually owns the card was did he regret buying the 1070, or with the value that comes with the 1070 are the compromises in performance justified.

18. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

Invest in a better GPU, than a DD wheel. >60fps is a must with VR or you'll get even more disorientation, that means 1080 or 1080ti.

19. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

It is not true that anyone needs a killer GPU to enjoy AC in VR, all is needed is a sensible setting, as at the end of the day because of the nature of VR, there is not that much of difference, not like on 2D screens, between low setting and high setting. For example the difference between 1.3 ssd and 1.5 is hardly noticeable but will allow the system the FPS level to deliver a comfortable experience. Staying away from post processing and reflection also leads to good performance with minimum visual impact in VR for those of us, like me, with an average GPU.

mms, Derrellbiffle and Typer like this.
  20. Typer

Typer Simracer

Yeah I bought a new PC a year ago for about £1200 to run AC in VR. It "only" has an i5-somethingorother and a 1070, with a bit of playing around I have about 1.3ppd, some PP so I can see brake lights, more than good enough visuals and can run almost full grids of AI and play online with no probs.

A 1080 would be better of course but I don't think you need one. I think GamerMuscle runs (or did run) a 1070 and manages to stream AC too.

Check out his vid on optimising AC for VR:

Derrellbiffle likes this.
  21. mms

mms Alien

I'm running AC in VR fine with my rig, check my signature. Settings are not maxed and ASW kicks in sometimes, but does not bother me at all.