1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory.
  2. FOR ASSETTO CORSA COMPETIZIONE: If you report issues with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder!
  3. If your game executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, then run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether.

What performance gain can I expect from overclocking an i5 6600k?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Fr0zzen, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Fr0zzen

Fr0zzen Gamer

So currently I have an i5 6600k with a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card. Unfortunately back when I purchased my CPU I made a mistake and purchased a motherboard that doesn’t let me overclock my CPU.

What I’m wondering now is how much of a performance gain can I expect by overclocking this CPU to let’s say 4 ghz (it’s air cooled). A new motherboard would also enable me to buy higher frequency RAM.
    Or should I just buy new motherboard and a better CPU than this i5?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Hardware Discussions Will try ACC again..but what performance can i expect with this system? Feb 4, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality RTX 3080 Performance with Rift S (no ASW needed) Tuesday at 10:07 PM
    ACC Virtual Reality Finally fixed ACC VR performance. . Sep 18, 2020
    ACC PS4 - XB1 General Discussions XBOX insider performance Sep 10, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Performance problem with AMD 5700 XT and driver names Aug 9, 2020
    ACC PS4 - XB1 General Discussions Serious performance Issues when using T500!!!! Jul 25, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Sudden poor performance Jul 17, 2020
    ACC PS4 - XB1 General Discussions For all those who say there is nothing wrong with the performance Jul 3, 2020
    ACC PS4 - XB1 General Discussions Very poor performance Jun 23, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Lower Performance after a while Jun 8, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Cockpit View questions - FOV vs Performance and Headmotion vs TrackIR Apr 19, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Reduced car performances Apr 17, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Performance Hit looking at Gravel Apr 16, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Performance issues Apr 16, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting 1.3.10 performance issues Apr 15, 2020

3. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

please note that overclocking can cause problems -
    if there is a budget new board or wait and then upgrade properly (a few weeks ago I switched from i7 2600/1060 to ryzen 7 3700 2070super and it was expensive but worth every cent!)

Fr0zzen likes this.
  4. kuccu

kuccu Gamer

That 4C/4T processor wont help you much anymore, even overclocked. And if you already considering swaping motherboards then 6/12 processor should be absolute minimum if you will buy somthing new this day. Recommended buying new platform should be prob 8/16 processor.
    So for budget oriented should look 3600 and bit more with 3700 paired with some decent b450 board. Noone in their right mind should buy anything from intel unless they go for absolute peak of gaming with 2080 super or 2070 super at this point in time.
    That 1060 will hold you longer than that processor.

Fr0zzen and After_Midnight like this.