1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

What to focus on now

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Inari Kettu, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Inari Kettu

Inari Kettu Rookie

Hi there!

I've been working a lot on cars and tracks despite my very non-professional level : I'm around 5-7s below Blancpain's 2018 best laps depending on tracks. My best times are probably on Paul Ricard with Barwell's Huracan : 1:59:300 or so. Whatever, it's still a blast to play and I'm having a lot of fun. :)

My current problem is I can't seem to be able to compete with AI cars and slowly getting bored doing hotlaps and hotstints. Maybe I'm too agressive, but even when being careful, I'm always taking hits from other cars in most turns (probably because of my weird lines), resulting in control loss and full race at the bottom of the grid. :-(

Any advice on how I could practice and start being able to compete with other cars? Or just, what should I work on, now?

Here are my ratings, in case it could help.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers!

Attached Files:

Son likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting Solved: Only 10 fps when out of focus Apr 11, 2024
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room CSRL - ACC GT3 League focused on clean fun racing Sep 24, 2022
    ACC User Interface When using the FocusPlayerCar Hotkey whilst not driving in team races, hotkey doesn't work Jul 16, 2022
    ACC User Interface Can't change dashboard page after pitstop [Pitstop MFD stealing dpad focus] Feb 14, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Huge performance difference when shifting window focus Nov 25, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting 5 FPS everywhere [Resolved - application lost focus, reenable full screen] Mar 11, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars [improving] focus area and far size Dec 30, 2020
    ACC User Interface HUD Broadcast overall problema (1.5.2) [and focus is on a car further down the grid] Jul 27, 2020
    ACC User Interface Focus on SA rating Feb 27, 2020
    ACC User Interface Focus while saving setup (1.3.2) [Fixed] Feb 10, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Ratings focus - Accessibility vs Authenticity Apr 15, 2019
    ACC Virtual Reality Main menu-,Race Menu- and HUD Layertype Focus problem Nov 15, 2018
    ACC General Discussions The importance of being well rested and focused Sep 28, 2018
    ACC Troubleshooting Game pausing/losing focus Sep 14, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Rift CV1 - UI Hard to read/out of focus Apr 19, 2018

3. Son

Son Hardcore Simmer

I'd say keep practising. Maybe work on your lines if they're what you think are causing this.

4. DHMoto

DHMoto Gamer

Dial down AI skill and aggressiveness as low as it will go and run on the track you are most comfortable on with the car you are most comfortable in. Start from the back and try to follow the back marker. Do not pass him. Stay as tight as you can and watch the AI line. After a couple of races, pass the back marker and do the same with the next guys and so on. You will be dialing up the difficulty in no time.

Pheebau and mr Switchblade like this.
  5. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

Racing is not just doing fast laps arround the track, but the ability to put your car in the best place for an overtake. You need to learn how to keep your line, for that, just drive side by side with another car, this will help you understand different lines on the track...

And also racing is consistency. You can do a fast lap after hundreds of errors but this wont make you a good racing driver, because in racing the most important thing is concistency, so working on that, also will make you a better driver.

6. anthony galmiche

anthony galmiche Simracer

+1_;)

7. Turk

Turk Alien

Do an hour long seasons where the priority is keeping the car on track, not fastest lap. Throw all notions of fastest lap out the window and get consistent.

sissydriver likes this.
  8. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

First of all, I don't understand why someone gave this thread a 1-star, not that it matters much in the end. Someone is asking for help on improving how to drive, don't see what's the issue with that.

On topic:
    Maybe you could add some footage of your driving. It's kind of vague advice if we don't know what exactly it is you're doing.

9. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Simracer

You and most others are having problems with the ai because the ai is kind of broken at the moment.

10. manudouet

manudouet Gamer

AI may not drive (break) exactely like human do but at 50% agressiveness I can drive really close without (too many) contact. I think the key is track knowledge, most of the time you won't be on the ideal line when you overtake so you need to know different (slower) ways to take corners.

11. Inari Kettu

Inari Kettu Rookie

Thanks a lot for the answers! Very nice from you all. :)

I'm really keeping your advices for my next sessions : I've just been able to finally end a 30 minutes race at 90% skill /50 % aggressivity without any serious contact nor crash or control loss, and wasn't last on the grid (10th on 16, if I remember), so it's getting better.

I know that consistency is key more than anything else. I don't feel that bad with consistency, I can run 10-15 consecutive laps and having all lap times in a 1-second margin. Yet, according to the game, my CN rating is my lowest, so I bet I can do much better! I believe I'm quite consistent with lap times, but not enough in terms of driving line. I have no matters with car control when alone on track however, I can keep the car fine for a long session and did quite well (for my level) to this season's long hotstint with Jaguar on Paul Ricard (that's the one I got 63 PC from). I usually prefer long but somehow slower driving sessions.

Thanks again! I'll try racing against the AI more, and stick to them as much as I can!

12. Turk

Turk Alien

1 second is a lot. You should be aiming for as close to zero as possible, within 0.2 at least. Now that's not easy, I've only started doing it recently with ACC. It's taken me a good 600 hours to be able to put in laps identical to the last one.

Putting in a lot of laps really does bring big improvements. It should be as familiar as the drive home from work, or something else you do day in day out. 10 - 15 laps probably won't cut it.

It can be really hard to put in that many laps on your own. It's best to do that kind of long stint online with real people, that's not really possible with ACC as it currently is. I started doing hour races on racedepartment, you may need to find a similar group and use a different sim (like AC or rfator) for the time being while ACCs multiplayer isn't working well enough.

13. manudouet

manudouet Gamer

Concerning CN rating, long session is the easiest way to climb in my experience. I'm happy when my laps delta is less than 1 sec but with 2 x1hour session I can do 80+, but when I race (especially on wet track) or time attack it progressively go down to ~65

14. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

Honestly try your best to make long stints and disregard the AI... I had the AI in 12th position resist my pass attempt, cut a chicane and crash me out instead of lifting up a bit from throttle.... After that and other countless crashes with kamikaze ai i chose to skip any and all "race" events for now. Hope the new multiplayer bases get built fast, nothing is better than battling with humans !

15. Inari Kettu

Inari Kettu Rookie

Yeah, I've been doing many more stints : I tried all the cars to see which one was better in terms of safe driving and found Ferrari and BMW really good for that, yet my heart turned me back to the Lamborghini right after! It feels so aggressive, yet safe. :)
    Here is probably what I've done best recently : was in mood for a one hour stint on Paul Ricard but my 17 months old girl came for a hug during last turn, so I stopped as she got me crashed. :D
    20190201160747_1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    sps_for_race likes this.
  16. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

Always worth a crash!

17. Inari Kettu

Inari Kettu Rookie

Indeed!

I realized the timetable was unreadable, here it comes, resized. It's not crazy, yet it's the first time I'm putting out a few decent consecutive laps.

20190201160747_1.jpg