1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

What's the deal with overly long qualifying sessions?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Obizzz, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Obizzz

Obizzz Racer

I get having a long qualifying sessions for a league race but why so many open servers with long quali sessions and rather short races?

Why 20 minutes of qualifying for a 5 lap race? Surely 5-10 minutes would be enough for everyone to put in a few flying laps and sort the grid out. I've even encountered things like 1h qualifying and 5 laps of racing.

If I wanted to hotlap I'd stay offline. I go online to race.

For a normal track length I think as many minutes as there will be race laps would be a good rule of thumb. 5min qual, 5 lap race. 20min qual, 20 lap race etc...

I race in a league for my more serious needs but I love to go online for some casual races inbetween.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I alone in thinking overly long qualifying sessions are boring?

Sure I can run my own servers and I do from time to time but it's hard to get noticed and get someone to join.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions What's the deal with CP servers now? Jul 17, 2020
    Chit Chat Room What's the deal with the Porsche 911 RSR 3.0's 5th gear? Dec 24, 2016
    ACC General Discussions What's about all these Spam threads? Feb 13, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals What's happened to ACC FFB Jan 3, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions What's up with Special Events Jul 11, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions What's this? Mar 5, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Please tell me this NOT what's coming tomorrow? Feb 21, 2022
    Console Lounge Kunos what's happening with servers ?! Feb 17, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions first pc what's important Jan 10, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality What's with the mirrors? Sep 1, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions What's next for ACC? Aug 19, 2021
    ACC General Discussions What's the Status on ACC and future Projects? very quiet in here. Jan 24, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Ok...so you guys did it. What's next? Jul 10, 2020
    ACC General Discussions What's going on? Ghosts lap 1 in SRO? Apr 26, 2020
    ACC General Discussions What's next Nov 8, 2019

3. I agree, I like you go online to race, not hot lap, I don't understand it.

4. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

12min qualifying for a sprint race is the sweet spot for me. Just enough time to make a cup of coffee and set a lap time :)

5. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Yup. Quali is too long for short races.

6. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

its just the people that set those servers are insane, nothing really you can do about it.
    i would recommend Drivers paradise or SRS.

gregack, Nekrobob and Obizzz like this.
  7. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Longer qualifications is not an issue, it allows time to gather enough drivers to have an interesting race, nothing prevents the drivers to cancel the qualification by voting the server to stay in racing and race again and again once there is enough drivers. It happens all the time on the Street Fight servers.

After_Midnight likes this.
  8. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

There are servers without qualy in LFS. Finishing order is the grid for next one. I miss this bit for public sprint racing tbh. I wish it was possible to have servers setup that way.

Louizf, Quffy, Vibe Style and 3 others like this.
  9. Obizzz

Obizzz Racer

Yep, I used to do a lot of LFS and I miss this feature.

AccAkut likes this.
  10. Obizzz

Obizzz Racer

Or they can join during the race...

Try getting people to vote for the next session. Never get enough votes on most servers.

nate and Racing_34 like this.
  11. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Usually not an issue where I race.:)

12. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

10 minutes is good on most normal tracks, 7-8 min. on rather short ones (under 1:30 per lap) and 12-13 for a long track (Spa).

You have to do an outlap, maybe sort a bit that you don't run into traffic on your fast lap, then have an invalid lap plus the actual lap.

So with outlap, invalid lap, hotlap and maybe even another hotlap you are quickly at 6-7 minutes time.

With 5 minutes it could even be a bit short to get two hotlaps/attempts on some tracks.

13. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

I think you can do that in AC. I remember once joining a server with 3 laps race session only and the grid for the next race was matching the finish order of the previous race.

mms likes this.
  14. mms

mms Alien

Yep, I'm pretty sure I joined one of those servers too. No qualify session, just race.

15. Rolz

Rolz Alien

yeah I try to set 10min max qual... usually most mid range tracks that about 4-5 laps to qual.

16. magzire

magzire Alien

Stupid admins as always

nate likes this.
  17. Rolz

Rolz Alien

lol - admins put time and effort to host servers and ppl like u make it all worthwhile for them...

Tomcul and Schnipp like this.
  18. kro

kro Simracer

I agree with the 10 min Q for any length of race short or long .. For me the practice session is where you get your players to join , then you can vote to Q if you don't want to finish the P session. I think 30 min P- 10 min Q- 7 lap race is a good formula for pick up races this give you about 1 race per hour if the P session doesn't get voted . If you have enough players staying on the server between races you can vote strait to the 10 min Q , Time for a drink & a wiz ! ;-)

I think some admins just make 2 session Q+ R and have the Q longer for players to join .. My issue with this is you might get voted to next session in the middle of your hot lap so I like the P-Q- R formula best !

That's how i set up the SRO server ..

A1 SRO GT2's @ Bathurst is this weeks club racing ! (shameless plug) ;-) check it ! we have the main events on Saturdays when the server locks down and the practice session is longer & race's moves to 45 min but Q is still 10 min ! The server's open to the public all week up to the events !

19. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

They do that to keep impatient drivers that will hit you at T1 away.
    Impatient drivers generally don't like long qualifying sessions.
    Impatient drivers generally hit others under braking.

If you hear a driver revving the engine 40 secs before the start its a sign of trouble.

20. Sorry, but I disagree. Practice sessions have no place in public "pick up and play" servers. If you want to practice, do it offline. As for qualifying sessions, I agree with Obizzz that some admins take this to ridiculous extremes. A qualifying session of no more than ten minutes is perfectly fine for short (5-10 lap) races.

Rolz and Obizzz like this.
  21. Obizzz

Obizzz Racer

For me it's not about being impatient. I don't have unlimited amounts of spare time. If I have a 2 hour slot to go online and race I don't want to spend 75% of that doing qualifying laps.

FatnSlo and Christopher Low like this.