1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Wheel do you have?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Ozelot S, May 12, 2019.

?

Which current Wheel do you have?

1. Direct Drive

34 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Belt Drive

99 vote(s)
    53.5%
  3. Gear Drive

52 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

One major improvement is the same as the addition of several little improvements.
    Then the biggest ones should come from the pedals, not really from a DD wheel.

2. Hexadecimator

Hexadecimator Rookie

Forgot to add, I bought it for $100 CAD off a friend.

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I agree that better pedals (brake) make a big difference in lap-times. The big difference with wheels tends to be more about immersion (for me, worth every penny).:)

4. Leedbelly

Leedbelly Rookie

I think it all depends on who is driving. I watched Jimmy Broadbent with his direct drive wheel and load cell pedals go up against Super GT with his xbox controller, and although Jimmy edged him out it was not by very much a tenth or two. Fanatec sent Super GT a wheel with all the trimmings, it will be interesting to see how he does with that over time.

5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I suspect someone going from being quick with a gamepad will take a bit of time to get to the same pace with a wheel. In the end they will be a bit faster but its a pretty big change, basic higher range of motion in a wheel setup vs gamepad is clearly and advantage.

It will depend on the sim and car more so a gt3 car with some built in electronics and possibly some steer assist built into gamepad control gives them more chance.

If they were to drive an old school car in AC with no assists, manual shifting with no auto clutch or auto blip they would pretty much have no hope on a pad.

Also the immersion from using a wheel vs pad is a pretty big thing even base model ffb wheels vs a pad is a huge upgrade in that area. Being very quick on a pad however is a proper skill and would take some time to perfect, I know I would really suck with it.

In terms of performance there is no real advantage or strength over a wheel, but obviously cost and space requirements are a huge point of difference. Many sim racers will start with pads but once they get their first wheel they are often hooked for life. :D

6. FelixR1991

FelixR1991 Gamer

I'm still rocking the Formula Force GP. I really want to upgrade but the quality of this wheel is so good I can't stand to put it away.

7. Thug

Thug Simracer

Another AF2 user here, love it.

martcerv likes this.
  8. Phoenixcat

Phoenixcat Gamer

Just went from a Thrustmaster TMX to Fanatec DD1 with csl elite pedals. Much better force feedback and strength.
    I am no faster with DD1 than I was with the TMX-proof that it doesn’t matter what gear you have.

9. I have old Logitech Formula Force Ex, which doesn't have working flappy pedals and doesn't go straight :D Still getting nice times, but hopefully soon will buy proper wheel :)

10. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

It does matter what gear you have, just not that decisive with wheels.
    Much more on pedals though.
    At least you’re an alien. Those can run WRs on a Logitech Driving Force Pro...
    :p:)