1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Who's at Fault? - Discussing Racecraft and Incidents

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by m_box97, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

For the first line, sorry but the F1 results are not a kept secret nor it crossed my mind that F1 fans were not aware of the race results, but yeah, sure is annoying to know the results if planning to see the race later, so again sorry about it.

For the second line, no comments, it doesn't deserve any.

2. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

When is ahead and/or no car is alongside, as was the case above; the car behind (the Mclaren) was not alonside, was at BMW left side, but not alongside.

3. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

That says it all. A car can do a corner side by side with another as long both can keep it safe.
    In this instance the Mclaren was the one who neither was alongside with the BMW to challenge the corner, nor approached the corner to make it safely for both, therefore, to the Mclaren the burden of being the one of causing the incident.

Wolkenwolf and chksix like this.
  4. ricxx

ricxx Racer

The McLaren shouldn't be there, there's no doubt about that, but it is there. The BMW cuts across and touches the McLaren. I think if there were stewards involved they'd say it's a racing incident. Being on the wrong line approaching a corner in no breach of any rule, it's just against common sense.

LATE4APEX likes this.
  5. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

So,... in your opinion, do both cars have to be exactly even at the front of both cars to be considered alongside, or maybe 1 inch deferent is okay, but 2 inches isn't ?

Just what is the tolerance involved when determining,... "alongside" ?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  6. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Completely agree, really no need to continue this.

ricxx likes this.
  7. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

The beemer is braking on the racing line IMO and since he is in front (McL is just covering his rear wheel) he has the right to the racing line. If the McL had been further forward along the BMW mirror the BMW would have to concede the line and stay to the right to allow them to pass two wide through the chicane.

Wolkenwolf and AndyK70 like this.
  8. ricxx

ricxx Racer

How's your popcorn btw? :D What's your opinion on the incident? You just dropped the video, we don't even know which car you were driving.

LATE4APEX likes this.
  9. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Again, in my opinion, this still comes down to one argument based on how we determine, "in front", "along side" etc. ?

Is it based on % of overlap, or some dimension, "it looks right" ?

10. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Normally it is when the car has its nose up by the A pillar or mirror. By then it should be visible from the overtaken driver.

11. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

My 2cts:
    The BMW was ahead and on the racing line.
    The MCL was half a car behind the opponents nose. Doesn't matter if we call it alongside or behind or whatever. The MCL was not on par, not even at the front wheel of the BMW and secondly it was covering the inside line which leads to earlier braking if he wanted to make the chicane at all.
    The BMW is taking all the space, yes, well... there is only space for one car in that chicane, therefor he has no other chance than to take all the space. He is in front and on the racing line, why shouldn't he?
    The MCL had to let off, to not only avoid taking the BMW out but also to even be able to make that chicane and continuing racing.
    With his line, speed and late braking he never could have made the chicane and stayed on track.
    It was purely ego and lack of race intelligence what kept him from letting the BMW pass, stick behind and attack him back at T1.

After_Midnight, Wolkenwolf and chksix like this.
  12. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

But not completely ahead, was the MCL supposed to start braking too soon before the chicane just because the BMW was "half a car length ahead".

What does,... "not on par" mean in racing side by side racing ?

Actually there IS room for two cars to drive through the chicane, not easy, but can be done if both cars leave room for each other, by both cars braking early enough.

But the car on the inside DID make a proper approach to the chicane, keeping on the inside half of the track, until the BMW came across and ran into the MCL from the outside.

This is racing, is it not, why would anybody "let the BMW pass".
    If the BMW was to stay on the right hand half of the track, it would not have run into the MCL.

Could be simply that the BMW driver thought he was clear,... as has been correctly stated, "a racing incident".

By far,... the highest percentage of passing, is done by the car on the inside, NOT the outside.

My 3cts.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  13. If you approach a corner side by side, then you should stick to your side of the track. The BMW driver pulled across and assumed that the McLaren driver would give way.....and we all know what assumptions are.

Oortael and LATE4APEX like this.
  14. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

https://bmwccaclubracing.com/wp-con...Racing-Room-Passing-Guidelines-attributed.pdf

Randy Pobst:
    https://www.scca.com/pages/randy-pobst
    https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/randy-pobst/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    Oortael likes this.
  15. Oortael

Oortael Rookie

Thank you all for your judgement.

I didn‘t post which car I was in because I also think that it was „just“ a race incident and didn’t want to have the discussion lead in one direction.

Yes, I did have the racing line in the M4 but also after watching the replay maybe a docent times I was sure that I should have backed off to open up for another try after T1. Just didn‘t have the patience…

What was most fascinating, but not visible in the video: We didn‘t insult us in the chat for destroying each other’s chance for points.

16. ricxx

ricxx Racer

Yup, patience is another key factor in racing. It really is difficult to keep a cool head and not let your emotions guide you and do things that will cost you points in a league/championship.
    I don't know if anyone watched this year's Rolex 24 hours at Daytona. There was a breathtaking battle in GTD Pro between the two leading Porsches, with P2 taking the lead and then losing it again in the last lap to the other car. I really almost forgot to breathe, it was a fierce battle which lead the guy in P2 to do something really stupid, purely emotional and completely irrational. He decided to go two wide into the bus stop chicane (which is now called Le Mans chicane) and lost the car of course. He could've settled with 2nd, still a great result, but finished 3rd because he couldn't accept losing the lead in the last lap.

AndyK70, Oortael and LATE4APEX like this.
  17. Odirse

Odirse Gamer

One for you guys. Min 0.30

White Mclaren or Orange BMW?

18. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

@Odirse I'd say McLaren. Although at 0:44 he is half way alongside, at 0:45 the McL begins to brake earlier and falls behind the BMW. So this is a clear sign of giving the corner to the BMW. Then at 0:46 the McL modulates the brakes and comes closer at entry but doesn't brake enough to avoid contact.
    It's on him.

19. BMW fault I think. There's overlap before the braking point, BMW should leave room for 1 car width on the inside, instead it goes to the curb clipping the nose of McLaren.

20. Odirse

Odirse Gamer

Thanks guys, the reason I'm asking is because I wasn't that sure myself about this one... it is true the Mclaren brakes earlier, but it is also true that should have it breaked later, and being in the interior, there would have not been any space left for the BMW. In my opinion the BMW just decides to take the corner as if the Mclaren wasn't there at all, and in reality looks like the Mclaren doesn't have anywhere else to go, but it is a tough one.