1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Who's at Fault? - Discussing Racecraft and Incidents

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by m_box97, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

You are obviously very experienced with the single screen. We don't know, if that is the same case for the Ferrari driver.

To me, the contact is just a little "oops" moment and didn't seem to affect the AMG too much.

PS.: This incident is a good example, for what this thread is meant to be. :)

Thug and After_Midnight like this.
  2. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Actually I do agree with you.
    The Ferrari messed up the hairpin, losing a lot of time and throwing him off course allowing the Merc to gain and pull alongside.
    He then kept moving over to the right to try and 'close the door' on the Merc and make his race line VERY tight.
    However, when you get to the next corner its VERY fast and there isn't room for error.
    The Ferrari should have give up the place, but also the Merc should have understood that at this speed and road position he couldn't take the corner without cutting the Ferrari up and almost forcing him off the track (which he nearly did).
    I think both play a part.

After_Midnight likes this.
  3. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

I agree, the sensible thing to do would be to blend in behind and get a slipstream.
    The merc driver did take a risk anticipating the Ferrari would yield, but given the Ferrari's behaviour down the strait it may have been more prudent to loose a little speed and take a more defensive line.
    Easy to say when you are not in the heat of battle though.

4. Krug59

Krug59 Gamer

Here the driver's view:

5. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Simracer

When I arrive at Eau Rouge like these guys did I always tell myself- "Don't Bellof"

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  6. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

@Tim Wilson Difference to the incident between the Merc and Ferrari: Jacky Ickx was in front and is not blamed for the incident at all. Stefan Bellof had a better run out of La Source but was nowhere near to be in front of Jacky Ickx. Who is in front has the right for the racing line.
    That's how it is handled in RL ...but apparently not here? :confused:
    I'd blame the Ferrari.
    He didn't let go, he wanted the Merc to squeeze in the wall, even tapped him. The Ferrari was way too aggressive.

I would have lifted throttle just a short tad right when I would have seen in the radar the Merc along my side. Going behind him back on the racing line and having the slipstream all the Kemmel Straight and a very good chance to overtake him back there or at least braking into Les Combes.

chksix likes this.
  7. trutya

trutya Simracer

disagree, the Ferrari was still alongside. the Merc should have left more space, in my opinion.

8. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Simracer

Ixx got the jump from La Source, but I agree. Going side by side into Eau Rouge is not an option other than maybe on the first lap, and even a bumper length should be right of way and decided well in advance of the entry, like at the original start line.

9. Felge Schneider

I agree with trutya, you don't turn across, when there's still an overlap, not on a straight and not in a corner.

The Ferrari was not the cleanest after La Source, but the incident was at Eau Rouge.

10. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Ok, lets play this through...
    The Merc does not go all left entering Eau Rouge. What happens next?
    The Merc will be pushed wide going out of Eau Rouge and approaching Raddillon, pushing the Ferrari way off track to the left and the Ferrari will have a huge impact like Stefan Bellof.
    There is no space to have two cars side by side going through Eau Rouge without one or both crashing.
    One has to lift before entering Eau Rouge and imho this is the one that is behind.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  11. trutya

trutya Simracer

BOTH have to be careful and lift and leave space for the other car... i managed to go through side by side with another car in MP race, we both took care of the other. yes, we didn't go full speed, of course.
    the Ferrari would have to lift in the right kink of Eau Rogue and leave space. it's not simple but i guess IF people decide to go side by side to Eau Rogue they have to deal with it

Shooter80 and Winston like this.
  12. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Simracer

I guess it's the difference between being in a race with a tight field where pace is important and side by side racing can cost you and being in a one on one battle late in a race. But Eau Rouge is a perfect place to set up a pass at the end of Camel Strait. No turn in racing illustrates risk vs. reward better than this one.

AndyK70 likes this.
  13. Krug59

Krug59 Gamer

If i lift in the entry of the raidillon, the problem is the same, the ferrari hits my back or the left side. The ferari's guy have a good vision of the cars situation but he just doesn't want to leave the place.

AndyK70 likes this.
  14. Felge Schneider

Only if the Ferrari goes for the racing line. He could also slow down and stay on the right.

15. APC900

APC900 Simracer

The Ferrari is at fault in the instance above.
    Having taken a better line and gotten better traction out of la Source, the Mercedes was now on the optimum racing line to Au Rouge.
    The Ferrari was essentially beaten to that point on circuit and tried getting back over to the right for the upcoming turn.
    On his first tap, he would have known the Mercedes was there...despite not seeing him in the mirrors.
    At that point, the Ferrari should have conceded the line, stayed close and planned his next attack for Kemmel.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  16. Shooter80

Shooter80 Racer

What you say is valid from a common-sense/racecraft point of view, if you look at Eau Rouge/Radillion in isolation, and that is pretty much what I would have done if I were driving the Ferrari.

But the rules of racing are not determined on a corner by corner basis, so there is no requirement for the Ferrari to have backed out. If you are overtaking another car approaching a corner, and you are still overlapping, you cannot just steer into their line and expect them to brake or lift, you need to leave them space until the overtake is complete just like every other corner. The Ferrari had every right to run through Eau Rouge and up the hill if they choose, providing they kept to the left side (which is possible if you slow down enough), and the Mercedes should have been expected to say on the right side of the track and leave the Ferrari space (also possible if you slow enough) until there was no overlap.

Thug, lero, Cucumber_86 and 5 others like this.
  17. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

In real life there is also driver etiquette and unwritten (life preserving) rules.
    In real life I doubt the Ferrari driver would risk a high speed accident entering Eau Rouge or tap another driver up against the wall, or at least I hope he wouldn't.

AndyK70 likes this.
  18. Felge Schneider

In real life, i doubt the Mercedes would have so persistent, he had little chance to get the first apex.
    As it was said, he would have set up for an overtake on the Kemmel.

Or do this ;)

Thug likes this.
  19. lero

lero Gamer

Extremely surprised by the amount of people defending the Mercedes. Always thought it was a clear cut rule that as long as there's an overlap with a car alongside, you leave atleast a car's width on track. Never expect another car to anticipate a move like that. Two cars can fit just fine through entry to Eau Rouge, the Ferrari would've had to lift on the outside at the start of the uphill and the situation would've solved itself naturally. Seems to me that the Merc created a risky situation out of one where there was never a need for it, and the it backfired. (And yes, what the Ferrari does down the hill is iffy at best, but that shouldn't affect the view on the crash itself.)

20. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Simracer

If I'm the Merc and I see the guy bounce off the wall at La Source,(you may have missed that) and then he takes my mirror off and trashes my new paint job going down the hill- By the time I get to Au Rouge all I'm thinking is -I gotta get away from this nut before he tries to kill........TOO LATE- I'M DEAD!