1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Why does daytime have SUCH an EXTREME effect on FPS?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Mike1304, May 24, 2014.

1. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

I experience huge FPS-drops depending on the time I drive on a track. I just tried out Snoopy's latest Nords-Mod and if I drive at 10:30 o clock everything runs fluid with 60 FPS. But when I drive at 8:00 o clock it stutters like hell (showing around 35 FPS) most of the time. This also happens on other official tracks like Monza. But I don't understand it. I would understand it if the FPS-drops would only appear if there are extreme sun-effects like sunbeams shining through the trees or shimmering on the tarmac, but there aren't such effects most of the time and the framerate still stutters like hell.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Track Rating does not reset properly on Nordschleife Apr 2, 2024
    ACC Physics Does ACC not implement real life braking mechanics?(Need some insights on this recent youtube video) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC User Interface View settings doesn't get saved anymore [A/V intervention] Mar 9, 2024
    ACC General Discussions GT4... but does the bop exist? Dec 29, 2023
    ACC Physics Asphalt temperature does not change tire temperature and pressure Dec 2, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Does xbox one version become x/s optimised version? Nov 19, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting game does not start or even launch Nov 19, 2023
    Physics Bugs & Issues Tyres doesn't change in pit Oct 8, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Does anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals DDoes anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Cheating, does it happen, is it possible on Xbox Sep 10, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Changing steer lock doesn't work with Thurstmaster TS-XW Aug 4, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Fresh Windows 11 install and ACC does not start! Jun 28, 2023
    Audio Bugs & Issues Sound doesn't work on my speakers Jun 25, 2023
    ACC Audio Sound doesn't work on my speakers Jun 22, 2023

3. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Simracer

Just an FYI Snoopy's Nord can sutter badly in version 0.6.2. Try 0.6.1 which gives me no problems. As for the rest I have no idea.

4. alex72

alex72 Alien

Why? Shadows and bloom (HDR). During night they are gone so naturally your hardware has an easier workload. You also run HIGH shadows. That will put a hard strain on your hw. Set it to medium and enjoy the boost - and still looks awesome.

I never seen difference though in performance. Im locked to 60FPS and it never dips. Yes, Nord 0.6.2 does after 1 lap, but thats so far not Kunos fault - they didnt create that track. Might be possible mem leak in the new AC build, but not sure.

5. Asilo_Driver

Asilo_Driver Racer

During night normally FPS should be times worse due the cars' headlights. During day, you have only one light to calculate, during night it might be dozens.

All racing simulators until now experience horrible FPS drops in the night.

As for the OP question, it's quite clear depending on the sun angle there will be much more shadows visible and, further, the longer shadows will be projected over more objects.

6. peter boese

peter boese Hardcore Simmer

i think its a matter of the shadows. when they are longer, much more areas have to overlayed and much more objects are reached by them. most effect of this is on monza in the first corners. so for performance issue i drive at 12:00 or 13:00, esp. with lot of AIs.

Kristaps likes this.
  7. Glen Orpheus

Glen Orpheus Racer

shadows.......end of line