1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Why does nobody try compete with iracing?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Jynnantonix, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Snoopy

Snoopy Alien

Why did Pcars sell so many copies compared to AC? I mean it doesn't have that many cars or tracks. Sure, it looks and sounds better, but AC isn't the worst either.

2. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Marketing skills and/or budget? Expectations from the NfS Shift world?
    Should be somewhere in this corner, as the current driver numbers are very close according to steam spy stuff.

The gap is really interesting, as both titles have their good and bad sides.

3. Turk

Turk Alien

I don't see why Kunos have to be the ones providing this service either. The game seems open enough that 3rd parties could effectively introduce something along the lines of an iRacing experience for those that want it. You have websites like Racedepartment running servers, events and leagues. If that was combined with the likes of the RSR UI, and that rating app that came out recently, it seems like AC allows for this service to be implemented by any one, or any group willing to make one. It also allows for each group to have their own distinct service so you're not stuck with whatever the devs came up with.

There's an opportunity there for someone to come up with their own business providing this ranked system, AC invites that kind of ingenuity.

WallyM, Quffy and kakusso like this.
  4. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

I would imagine that being available on console has a lot to do with their higher sales numbers. Wait until AC is available on console. It will sell massive numbers of units, I believe, especially if they can release before Gran Turismo 7 is available on PS4.

[RRRV] JuggernAlz and Tberg like this.
  5. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Exactly as ALB123 says, console has a larger playerbase. Look up AC and pCars on Steamspy, they have about equal owners/players, 270.000.

Imagine what a boost to Kunos the console release could be, and for what it is worth, what it means for developing AC2.

TDS likes this.
  6. David Wright

David Wright Hardcore Simmer

I included console sales. In terms of PC sales pCARS is slightly behind AC though its been on sale for a shorter time. If you are looking for a successful business model, the console market is attractive as its far bigger than the PC market. The downside is its very competitve - whatever you may think of Forza or Gran Turismo, they are popular on consoles and difficult for smaller developers to compete directly with as they are very well funded with an established customer base. But if you can sell just 10% of what Gran Turismo does, you are looking at half a million sales.

7. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

o_O

You are right. I just realized that pCars numbers on steam are exclusively PC version, and checked. No wonder that daily pCars drivers are so equal to AC: Both peak at 278k and 276k owners.
    How many sales does pCars have overall? 1.5million? The console market is that huge?

Why does Kunos even bother hanging around on the PC, from a financial point of view?

8. dauntless

dauntless Alien

I think the biggest influx of new players into ac happened to coincide pretty well with the release of mp. If you want to see what happens when you don't release your game with mp then look at raceroom. It almost completely failed and is having hard time (the developer went bankcrupt at one point) coming back from where ever it tried to exist before now.

I don't think it makes any sense at all to release a racing sim without multiuplayer. It has been tried many times. Can you name even one single racing game that has done well without mp in the last 5 years?

Probably because ac on pc has so far exceeded all expectations in terms of sales?

Dutchyfutch and Kristaps like this.
  9. Horus

Horus Alien

I have tried nearly all the racing games out and they all have good and bad side. If you had all of the great minds that created these games then you would have a racing game that everyone would love. To me it makes no difference if you like AC, iRacing, rF2, RRE, Dirt Rally, Shift, Grid, pCars if you are enjoying the game just do that, enjoy the game. As for making a replica business model as iRacing, WHY? Would that not be just silly and totally pointless as iRacing is already available.

NetracingEurope.org likes this.
  10. St3fan

St3fan Alien

While I like scheduled races like in iracing I'm guranteed to have a nice sized grid if I join to the clock, what I like about AC is the flexibility. For example if I bump into a group of nice guys to race with on a public server, or just 1 nice guy to race with, we can keep on skipping practice and quali just doing races. But the problem is that I can't add friend with them in game, which is not good imo.

Maybe some really popular server could try making precisely scheduled races?

Their timing is also nice. It was released when people were kinda tired of DrivingClub, and there was only Forza Horizon 2. I've recently spent quite a lot of time in PCars. It bugs me so much that many things can be done a LOT better should they just tweak something here and there. I REALLY hope that many good and constructive suggestions for AC on this forum could be taken seriously.

BTW last night I rage quitted PCars for like 8 times and threw my pillows all over because I couldn't beat even the easiest AI in rain with Lotus 98T. It just felt impossible.

Horus likes this.
  11. mavryk1982

mavryk1982 Gamer

I drive on Assetto Corsa. I drive cars that handle well, are modelled really nicely, have good force feedback and enjoy the tracks. AC has the best Nurburgring I've ever raced on. The AI is ok but mostly I just hot lap but I quite like the varied car / track selection.

I race on iRacing. I race other drivers that (for the most part) know that iRacing is a RACING game and not a DRIVING game. The competition is really good, it feels like real racing. To be near the top of the championships you have to act like a racing driver - practice sessions, refine set ups, calculate fuel levels and pit strategy before racing. You can't really just 'jump in' and race. Whilst on track I can have some fantastic wheel to wheel racing. The track selection is really good, the car selection is in need of updating (but they are working on it). As for the cost... I can't get the same racing 'feel' on other sims, it's not ideal but once you get a year under your belt it really can pay for itself: With up to $10 reward per season [$40 back a year], the 50% off black Friday special and other offers if you are careful and plan carefully (such as only buying tracks when you really need to and being sensible in which series you choose so you can concentrate on that one series) and not go crazy with the cash then it is not expensive.

I do wish though that we could pick and choose the best bits, cars, tracks, features etc from every sim and combine them to make a truly ground breaking, world class sim. Never going to happen, but in all honesty sim racing is as good as it's ever been so I have no complaints.

12. Horus

Horus Alien

Just for the sh!t and giggles, should not the question be 'Why isn't iRacing more like Assetto Corsa?' You buy the stuff and you own it, not you rent it for as long as you pay your subscription.

13. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Done well in what kind of view, sales or hours spent in game by a smaller playerbase?
    AC got us by the driving physics already at the tech preview. Raceroom didn't deliver in physics and had a questionable business model.

You misunderstood that one, Kunos did of cause not "stay" on pc because of that.

14. Bill Wiskins

Bill Wiskins Hardcore Simmer

Well said! I know I'd be willing to commit Cameron-level acts of indecency if it meant we could have AC's physics model and graphical fidelity combined with iRacing's purely multiplayer/race oriented system, but that's not what's happening. I recently realised, and made my peace with, the fact that AC will never prioritise the multiplayer experience. It's been said often enough - it's just not important enough for enough people, however loudly we shout and stomp on the forums. I still love the driving, the cars, the tracks, and I will always consider jumping in for a casual AC race if the need strikes me, but I know now that if I want real, competitive, organised, reliable, simulated racing, I have to look elsewhere. That elsewhere is currently iRacing. Honestly, it doesn't need a competitor, but should one arise I'd welcome it. Competition is good. I'd try it, as would a lot of people, but the trouble is that it would need to be more than just 'as good' as iRacing. It would need to be significantly better in all aspects - either that or a LOT cheaper, and as has been mentioned already, iRacing isn't even that costly (or at least, not as costly as people think) if you're smart with your purchases.

With all of that said, past experiences prove that there is a 'middle ground' - there is a balance to be found where no super-expensive online organisational systems are required to foster good racing, no multi-million dollar investments are required for startup nor subscriptions required for continued existence. Warning: rose-tinted spectacle probability reaching critical levels right about now, but I seem to remember the venerable Race07 providing not just a good choice of populated servers (as long as you liked WTCC cars), but also stable, robust netcode and ample multiplayer options. In all honesty, that was what I was hoping for when AC came along - the next place to hang out all night, racing with friends. We've heard from Kunos about how only x percent of the user base will ever go online, hence the lower priority, but I'd be interested to know what that figure was for Race (initially, I mean, when it was still actively supported and not a £2.47 discount buy on Steam).

Anyway. Those are two of my pence.

Skylar_Schutz, norbs and Vítor Sousa like this.
  15. Wildkatz

Wildkatz Gamer

From my limited point of view I think iRacing is pricey. Yeah, pricey, not expensive.

I play it anyhow, because there is no other Sim that offers such a great online experience.
    I would pay monthly for a similar online experience in AC.

But this ain't gonna happen. So hopefully Kunos improves the features of SP and MP some day.

Skylar_Schutz likes this.
  16. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

This is a bit like saying it was silly and pointless that AC was created because we already had Rfactor. Fact is I prefer the driving feeling of AC, SCE and RF2 over IRacing, so personally I would prefer to be doing my competitive racing on one of these platforms.

17. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

Take advantage of early access on steam.

Gather enough following/capital to continue refine/develop game.

Once stable enough get dev kit from sony/xbox.

Port to ps4/xbox one.

Risk wise its probably safer to test game on pc market first before going all in for console.

A console game requires hard copies/marketing etc

[RRRV] JuggernAlz likes this.
  18. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Hype train and console support. I bought it too, do I play it? Nah.

Octane likes this.
  19. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

I don't believe there was ever a master plan, hell it very nearly was a free to play one track and a couple of cars thing - so glad it's turned out this way

20. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Sony approached them about testing their game on a ps4 devkit. Probably the first step to the whole idea of releasing it on consoles.