1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

ACC GFX discussion

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Briklebritt, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Briklebritt

Briklebritt Simracer

Why are so many people hyping the graphics of this game????

Still with the release of AssettoCorsaConsole(itione) 0.3 - game looks terrible. FXAA is flickering, temporal is terrible, materials, reflections, lights, shadows,... look ugly, ghosting, cars in showroom look like we go 10 years back in graphic engines.. I cannot enjoy this game until Kunos worked on their graphics and performance. Kunos, better working on basic game instead of releasing new content.
    I wish they would use their old engine or game would look like other titles which using Unreal Engine f.e. KartKraft.

I spent 971 hours with AC and very disappointed playing ACC. Only thing I like are the new sounds.

God saves AssettoCorsa!

2. Freddie Seng

Freddie Seng Hardcore Simmer

yaaaaawn

nate, FAE_Coyote, jaxx_za and 5 others like this.
  3. They are hyping because they are accustomed to mediocre AC1 graphics i guess. I'm also finding the graphics horrible in every way so far. I'm glad that someone else is seeing this other than me.
    I think this is going to get better, but at the moment it's not photorealistic at all .

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Jynnantonix, Haiden773 and mesa like this.
  4. magzire

magzire Alien

Need to set scaling at 200% at 4k. Then it looks damn good, don't think a 2080ti can even handle that. On 1080p it's a jaggy mess

5. SimRacer925

SimRacer925 Simracer

Most people don't care that much about graphics and compare them Directly with AC and think this is better looking now.
    I also think that switching to UE4 with the only available AA options being FXAA and TAA was a bad choice in the first place because this two AA methods are absolutely horrible for a racing game with all the ghosting, shimmering, blurriness etc .. Some even say ACC looks better than pC2 .. For me ACC with all this graphical issues is FAR FAR AWAY from pC2 graphic quality .

AlleyViper, saxohare, bobken and 3 others like this.
  6. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

I agree that the overall graphics of the game at the moment looks worse than AC, but we are still in 0.3 ALPHA, im sure that that's something do be expected more towards the final release, and not an a priori thing, so let's get our fingers crossed that this aspect of the game will be improved.
    Also don't forget guys that the engine is something new for the developers, they also need time to learn it.

7. SimRacer925

SimRacer925 Simracer

Well, tbh, they don't have the time to learn UE4 3 months before official release. They had 2 years to learn. And they already confirmed that FXAA and TAA will be the only AA options in the final game. So I don't expect that they get rid of all this ghosting and shimmering issues which TAA brings by nature.

Jordan Louis and Alex2 like this.
  8. Fernandito

Fernandito Racer

Why does temporal antialiasing make other games such as Far Cry 5 and Star Wars Battlefront2 look simply epic, but acc so blurry?

Anyway acc looks good to me at 1080p and high temporal antialiasing. And also this is a sim, and like in pc2 if graphics is a priority for you then this kind of games ain't for ya

tow likes this.
  9. etukeno

etukeno Gamer

Yup, this is exactly why UE was a bad choice. It tries to be pretty but fails and at the same time is very taxing to run properly while looking worse than modded AC, also input lag is a thing and other compromises like triples support.
    Feels like they have sacrificed gameplay for graphics and that is exactly what I'm expecting from an AAA company to do, not from an indie studio that tries to simulate car behavior.
    Well luckily driving still feels good but there is just too much shiat between the player and the car/road, by that I mean blurry graphics, input lag and so on.

10. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

You guys can still consider yourselfs lucky. I'm stuck with a 42" TV with 1920x1080 resolution that I sit 80cm in front of.
    In any case, If I concentrate, I can make out the pixels on the screen. Really a marginal situation to begin with, and probably the worst setting for ACC.
    So yes, unfortunately, this way ACC really looks terribly jaggy and blurry, to an extent that had me stop playing it shortly after 0.1 was released
    Scaling helps a little bit, but really, only very little.
    After briefly reading into the Unreal engine and how it attempts anti aliasing, I've kind of resigned from hoping that the ACC graphics will somehow magically improve.
    As I see it I would need to get me a 4K TV and a more potent graphics card, but the new 2080 Series just isn't worth the price for me, and I'm not sure how even the 2080
    would run ACC in 4K with all bells and whistles turned on.
    Still, comparisons with AC1 are not valid imho, because IF fed with the proper hardware, ACC graphics are on a totally different level.
    Lighting and shadowing going on in ACC is just light years ahead of AC1...but to really shine it needs some serious hardware as well.

11. Not really a bad choice, I tried Kartkraft yesterday that is also on UE4, and graphics seemed to be way better, specially the FXAA, so I conclude that is there room for improvement still.

David Bertholom and Son like this.
  12. Briklebritt

Briklebritt Simracer

I can confirm this. KartKraft looks way better using UE4.
    The devs work on this game for a lot of months for sure and they should know about the problem. Why do you see no progress in ACC UE4 setting?

I cannot understand why so many gamers hype the look of ACC even today. Maybe Kunos does not realize how important it would be to tackle the gfx problem.
    For me, I now stopped playing ACC because of this gfx problems. I will not spend 1400€ in order to switch off AA and use supersampling instead.

For sure, gfx is not the most important aspect when playing sim racing games, but we should move with the times and the successor should not be worse than its predecessor. The game should look reasonably good. So please Kunos, put the focus on the graphics!

Octane likes this.
  13. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Can you effectively “turn down” the TAA so that you might get slightly more jaggies but regain some sharpness / lose some of the blurriness?

So is there a TAA; low, medium and high setting for example?

14. Rudski

Rudski Alien

I'm no real expert on different types of AA but TAA can cause blurry images and ghosting, due to the way it processes images and it's very prominent when moving.
    FXAA is easier on the system but does not produce the best images compared to TAA. FXAA might produce better still images, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I hope that helps.

I could be totally wrong on this next statement but from what I read, it appears TAA and FXAA are really only needed for 1080p, once you go higher it's not required.

Here you can compare:

https://images.nvidia.com/geforce-c...g-interactive-comparison-001-taa-vs-fxaa.html

Fernandito likes this.
  15. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I think TAA is the better solution of the two, it perhaps just need more options to configure it to the users liking.

16. jim jones

jim jones Simracer

Wish they use the old engine but you also want rain and night? This is still very early days ... I do agree graphics don't look so good at the moment but the thread kinda sounds like your looking for people to join you in bashing the title.

17. Briklebritt

Briklebritt Simracer

I never needed rain or night. Rain and night needs a lot more of GPU performance, so i cannot go with it with my GTX1070 @ 4k. It is not worth to buy a RTX2080ti only to get rain effects or night in ACC. It is nice to have but did not make a game good or worse. BTW shader patch does its job very well for AC. Try it out..

No, I am not looking for people.. but I wonder why there are no threads about it and nobody addresses this thing. Maybe Kunos reads topics like this one and picks up on the concerns of the community. Would be great..

fear_scarecrow and petesky like this.
  18. petesky

petesky Simracer

Kartkraft I think look about the same the terrible ghosting is there too...I wonder why UE4 racing games look so bad compared to say shooters/fighters.

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  19. I don't agree at all that ACC looks worse than AC. The lighting alone makes a huge difference and vastly improves the overall look of the game. But on top of that there are also more details, better textures, better effects.
    There's 1 thing that AC can claim and that's better implemented antialiasing.

Now, i'm not telling you that you should like ACC's graphics, if you don't like them that's fine, but this post seems a bit exaggerated in my opinion.
    May i ask which graphical settings are you using?

corey.rogers, VtViper, Son and 6 others like this.
  20. Rioku

Rioku Racer

I agree

And at this point of the roadmap, i´m starting to get worried

fear_scarecrow likes this.