1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties.
    Dismiss Notice

Will be TrackIR supported day one for ACC?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by mkotechno, Jul 30, 2018.

1. mkotechno

mkotechno Gamer

(I'm concerned since new engine is used)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Request for TrackIR Support Please Friday at 11:45 AM
    ACC General Discussions TrackIR Mar 9, 2018
    Screens & Videos PuSHinG ThE LiMiTS - GT3 (TrackIR) Oct 13, 2017
    Chit Chat Room TrackIR looking for profile Jun 10, 2017
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes RealHeadMotion : TrackIR + LookBehind/Left/Right (humble request for devs) Nov 28, 2016
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Disable TrackIR/Freetrack within AC? Aug 28, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues TrackIR Crashing Aug 15, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues TrackIr Jul 15, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Trackir5 not working in AC Apr 14, 2016
    Chit Chat Room How about a ultrawide monitor plus Trackir? Jan 31, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Question for trackir users Dec 25, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Get ride of the trackir? Oct 21, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Trackir profile Oct 18, 2015
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Trackir not working since update 1.3 (64bit) Oct 8, 2015
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Trackir5 movement Jun 25, 2015

3. 6S.Manu

6S.Manu I'm Awesome! Staff Member KS Dev Team

I don't think. It's a low priority feature IMO.

4. mkotechno

mkotechno Gamer

Thanks for the reply. It's a bummer tho.

I hope that you will find time to implement it at the same time you do VR support.

J.Seyerle and trucidatio like this.
  5. KillZoneGB

KillZoneGB Simracer

Big shame, if TrackIR is not going to be implemented.

I hope one day it will be added to ac2, But for now, I`ll have to give ACC a miss.

I hate playing in 3d world, with 2d cockpits. (if you know what I mean)

Anyhoo, best of luck with acc :(

6. Skybird

Skybird Alien

The future is VR, not TrackIR. Sorry, but thats how it is.

Anyway, TrackIR I always considered unnecessary in race sims. TrackIR worked magic in complex flight sims and dogfighting flight sims. Not so much in race sims. Two buttons on wheel for glance left, glance right, worked better, faster, less desorienting.

Like VR, TrackIR was not for just anything.

For PMDG-style cockpits in FSX, I still prefer TrackIR. VR just has too many setbacks in such a button- and data-inputs-heavy environment. Telling that from XP11 experience. It also eats hardwarer ressources as careless as people eat popcon for movies.

7. KillZoneGB

KillZoneGB Simracer

Skybird, I`m your heads to your tails on this. (which is a good thing)
    The Glance left and right option for me, auto looking into an apex is so unnatural that it causes more accidents than its worth. (for me)

I`d like to be in control, for me auto or pushing a button to glance is rather an arcade option than sim.
    That why we have games like GTA V, The Crew and assains creed origins to name a few.

TrackIR and VR that controls the POV is a must for any sim game/gene.
    to home in on one's racecraft and Spatial awareness.

For Flight Sim`s, have you every tried VoiceAttack?

you can get it from steam or https://voiceattack.com/

Lovely bit of software to use your voice for controlling systems, playing macro`s, playing sound samples, run plugins and so on.

Got mine set up for elite using samples ripped from the Starwars franchise. (tisk, tisk me, personal use only)
    Must have if you want a co-pilot, or cant remember the 15,000 (ott) keys stokes, to get the 777 from cold to running.

Anyhoo have a wonderful evening

AndyDigital and Octane like this.
  8. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Well, I had many accidents or close-accidents due to trackIR in cars, the limited image a monitor provides and then the centre viewing axis no longer in congruence with the car'S driving direction - recipe for desaster. In this, trackIR feels and behaves completely different than VR, where such divergence between viewing and driving direction is not a big problem. Button controls for quick glance to the left and right I used before VR only to check in a split-second whether there is a car close-by or not. Fixed front view or mild viewing-to-apex always felt okay for me and left the control where it belonged: me.

I do not run flightsims of ultracomplex setup anymore since I switched to a new gaming system and had to accepot Windows 10 for this expensive, fast hardware. W10 messes it up, and is easily the most instabile piece of garbage, I mean: operaiton systerm (the carricature of it, to be precise), that I do not invest the time to install all my old stuff (FSX, plenty of airport sceneries, PMDG, REX, ASE etc) anymore, it costs too much time and is already fragile an installation on a solid system. With Windows 10, it is a candidate for just more BSOD, as W10 gives me so many.

Another vicitm of the war Microsoft wages against customers. One reason more to hate them: flight simming was big business for me, once.

P.S. Not tried VoiceAttack myself. Due to the 3.7 GB RAM limit for FSX it already is critical with the addons I use, and that is not helping stability under W10. Also, I simply hate speaking to my computer, I am allergic to voice-commanding the rig.

I'm too much old school, dont like them new ways too much.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  9. aotto1977

aotto1977 Simracer

My experience was right the opposite: Pushing buttons to look left and right always desorientated me af. To me it felt way more natural after I switched to head tracking, using yaw and roll only.

AndyDigital and KillZoneGB like this.
  10. Jempy

Jempy Simracer

For those who cannot use VR for different reasons ... view problems mostly, age or any other reason ( mostly for price or high tech PC config need ).... TrackIR is a solution that can't be missed.
    I never use buttons for left or right view .... they are mostly much too fast and you loose the front view too brutally ... causing mostly a loss of straight driving.

All "Look to Apex" are not natural at all .... causing mostly an impression of exagerated understeer.

So I don't understand why TrackIR should not be supported.... even if I'm mostly using yaw and a very light roll....
    Without VR, TrackIR is the only good solution to make the single monitor view much larger.
    My monitor is a 21/9 29" ... but when using a realistic FOV .... side mirrors can only be seen thanks to the TrackIR.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    hendrixxx352 and KillZoneGB like this.
  11. 6S.Manu

Guys, the answer was about "Day One". That does not mean it will be supported in the next builds, but 100% safe it will not be there on day one.

Mitch09, martcerv, mms and 3 others like this.
  12. Jempy

Jempy Simracer

Thanks for your answer, Manu.
    Of course it's not a must have at "Day One" ... as long as it'll be supported in one of the next builds. ;)
    VR at 2nd, why not TrackIR at ...3d one in order to make everyone happy ? :D ...

NB: it's a fact I missed the "Day One" in the thread title :oops:

13. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Simracer

It will be great to have TrackIR supported in ACC. I use TrackIR nearly since it came out and I considerer it a much improved and immersive experience to simracing.
    I tried to jump to VR but, contrary to the often expressed opinion that the low resolution of the screens used is not an issue, I find it to be precisely to be the main issue I have, therefore, currently, I continue to opt for using a high resolution monitor and TrackIR.

@6S.Manu , I may be reading it wrongly, but I believe you meant: "That does not mean it will not be supported in the next builds, but 100% safe it will not there on day one";)

lazarov27, KillZoneGB and Sean like this.
  14. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

I don't feel TrackIR is useless in sim racing. Pressing buttons to glance to sides is way more unnatural for me. In a steep hairpin, you can't even necessarily find the buttons when wheel is not straight at all, and you've moved your hands from normal grip and suddenly need to see to your side. Trying to poke for the right button and accidentally change brake balance or whatever. With good sensitivity curve, you can keep TrackIR steady (dead zone) and still look anywhere when necessary.

Future may be VR, but the resolution of VR is so bad, that TrackIR won't be totally obsolete until the resolution gets better (so VR will work in flight sims etc. too). Also TrackIR is way cheaper and common since it's old tech and many people have those. Combined with something like ultrawide or other large screen, you will get very good sense of the car and surrounding, without the crap resolution of VR.

I've used it with triples too, mainly in games that have only stretched triple image. I just place all screens in a straight line, instead of angled side screens... and use TrackIR for complete side awareness. Definitely would use it in Wreckfest that way for example, if it had support. Perhaps a bit unorthodox, but I've never understood why triples always *have to* be in angled position. I've changed it many time between straight/angled, depending on game and if I use my old TrackIR with them or not

KillZoneGB likes this.
  15. 6S.Manu

Nope. I wrote that to avoid the "but you promised!" reaction. :)

16. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I am not about natural and unnatural handling. All computer sim handling is unnatural, sometimes more, sometimes less. I am about the viewing axis diverting from the driving axis - with me needing to bring that together again while watching just that tiny small windows into the virtual world that a monitor is. I turn the head slightly to the left to have a quick glance into the mirror - and my head immediately wants to compensate a "left turning" of the car - that in fact does not happen at all. Then I look straight ahead, and the same effect takes place, this time in opposite direction. That you always have a distorted perspective on a monitor does not make it easier. Thus, i often went offtrack or into a car when using trackIR just becasue I had a quick glance ot the sides and back on centreline, always with the movement itself that trackIR comes with. So, I found button presses and immediate spit-second glance to the side and immediately back to straight forward much easier to handle, it did not fool my brain and I kept on rolling into the direction my steering wheel was last set to.

In VR this is not a problem since you have your head far more inside the game world and automatically have a much greater perception and situational awareness. TrackIR works great for dogfighting in plances, and complex cockpit simulators. In cars it gives me only one thing: a stiff neck, not to move the viewing field on the monitor and getting fooled into turning the wheel where no wheel turning is needed.

Ace Pumpkin and Thomas Gocke like this.
  17. Jempy

Jempy Simracer

Could you explain that last sentence, Skybird ... as I don't understand clearly what you mean there.

18. Skybird

Skybird Alien

With TrackIR in cars I try NOT to move the head too much, becasue the movement of the viewing angle on screen casues me to err and my brain gets fooled into doping needless "compensations" which are not needed. Its a reflex.

Actually I know from the past 15 years that quite many people do not like TrackIr in race sims that much, while liking i8t inother games. I am a bit suroprised that I must explain it here and people seem to not understand what I mean. Its an often heard experience.

The feel in a flight sim is completely different. There I would not fly without TrackIR.

Anyway. Jedem Tierchen sein Pläsierchen.

19. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

I understand what you mean Skybird, but what I'm trying to say here... is that people are different, you can get used to stuff (unlearn a reflex), and I have no problem staying on track with TrackIR.

I had to fiddle with the sens curve quite a lot until it felt right. And when used with triple screen in the way I described, I can always see where I'm going, I just use it to adjust the area I'm seeing a bit, with overall low sensitivity (not 1:1 match, but not large multiplier either). I can turn my head in real car too to check the scenery without turning my wheel, haven't crashed yet.

Pressing buttons also diverts view angle from driving angle. In addition it diverts your hand off the wheel, to blindly poke for some button. I'm already running out of buttons in T500 (for some cars), there's no room for view buttons. If I had sequential shifter, then I might bind the T500 paddles to glance left/right as they are big enough to hit consistently in the heat of things, but other buttons... doesn't really work for me. Brake balance or TC is easy to adjust (relatively easy, still takes some focusing) when there's not lot going on in the race. But when you need to check your side, there usually is

In short, people are different

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    aotto1977 likes this.
  20. Jempy

Jempy Simracer

I also understand now what you mean ....
    But I must say that the problem you mention happens for me more with button use than with TrackIR. Why ? .... I don't know

Now, maybe the settings chosen for TrackIR, different for everyone, might have their importance to avoid the problem you mention ... and also the way we use it.
    Turning the head too much left or right ... enhances for sure the phenomenon you describe .... ( same as a too high % of "look to apex" in some other sims or buttons in my case ).

In fact, I feel I'm turning the head less but tilt it a little sideways at the same time. .... this reduces the mentioned effect and allows me to see better the entry point and apex of the coming curve.
    With only one monitor ( even a 21/9 ), a correct FOV .... without TrackIR .... you'd nearly have to set the seat forward at the max to get nearly the same view of the track .... but in this case, your monitor is just a windshield nearly :D ... what I did before driving with a TrackIR.

Of course, I'd prefer 3 monitors or VR .... but for 1st option, no place enough .... and for the 2nd, some view problems and moreover still too expensive ( hardware included ) for a still not perfect result.
    So .... for single monitor option, TrackIR remains useful.

I'm not quicker with TrackIR, but it makes the driving more comfortable.... and surely help to keep consistance, endurance and clean driving.

As ShredatorFIN concluded just above, people are different. ;)

KillZoneGB likes this.
  21. rd.king

rd.king Hardcore Simmer

@Skybird
    So you have issues with track IR
    But the rest of us who know how to set it up properly,
    and use it with every race sim successfully,
    would like to know from the DEVS if it will be available in ACC.
    Thanks