1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Will Kunos / AC ever go GAAS

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Rudski, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Rudski

Rudski Alien

I've always wanted to know if the industry thinks this is a good way to go and I know no-one has a crystal ball (that works) but will all sims end up going GaaS (Game as a Service)?
    If the AC community wants "iracing" organised races which requires infrastructure and ongoing costs, if everyone accepts nothing comes for free is this the future?

2. Poloman

Poloman Racer

Imo i prefer dedicated servers paid by communities with some extra tools.
    AC with minorating was perfect for day to day races.

3. Hopefully Kunos will never go this GaaS way.

4. Turk

Turk Alien

Everything will probably move that way in the future. I was dead set against it in the beginning, but I'm using photoshop as a service and it's fine, it is a better value product.

I think it's not going to happen soon, my guess is you'd lose a lot of promotional benefits from releasing a new title every few years. You don't really hear a lot of news stories about iRacing because they have an ongoing title with constant updates.

I think Kunos could provide a service to go along with their titles. It could provide all the ranking and online championship services people are looking for while still allowing them to sell normal titles. That way if you want the hardcore stuff you can pay a monthly fee, or pay as you go, if you just want the basics you pay the cost of the game.

5. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

I hope they don't
    Don't like the iracing business model, so I won't pay to play

6. boabmatic

boabmatic Hardcore Simmer

I wouldnt mind the service route if you got access to all the DLC content as part of that monthly fee.

I dont like the idea of paying for DLC content but then only being able to use it if you keep up the monthly subscription.

7. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

As general rule, I avoid monthly-sub schemes. I get the argument for improved service and updates but, it's certainly not always the end result.

My design software cost over $5000 initially and now they push subscriptions and the service has actually gotten worse, not better. There are lot's of bugs from over 10 years ago that have never been addressed and their standard response is "it's your PC" yet, the same thing happens on multiple PC's across the userbase. The bigger issue is a lack of competing products to choose from and they all have too many bugs so there's not much chance of the grass actually being any greener elsewhere.

Another example for not liking the sub-route is when one only uses the software occasionally but, are paying the same as if you use it on a daily basis for business or maybe you only need one minor aspect of it. "One size fit's all" is not advantageous in some cases. I can understand if they restrict certain features or uses for non-sub customers but, at least offer some sensible options to suit more people.

It's a bit like eating at an expensive buffet when you don't eat much but, people will say "look at all you get". What good is it if you can't get your money's worth(?) The efficiency of the model benefits the business far more than it does the customer in such cases.

8. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

I personally have no issue with a monthly GaaS fee. I played World of Warcraft and Eve Online for many years, and would play iRacing a lot if there only was the monthly fee without the need to buy content as well.
    So if I buy the game, then pay a monthly fee to race online in a structure like iRacing and receive future content for free (in the spirit of keeping everybody on the same level) I'd have no qualms with that.

Of course I'd have even less of a problem with Kunos keeping the AC business model for ACC :)

9. LChaves

LChaves Hardcore Simmer

That would be my bye bye.

10. Turk

Turk Alien

But how is it any better to pay full whack for a piece of software you might only use sparingly. Take photoshop, that used to be €600 to buy, now you can get it for €19 a month and use it as much or as little as you want. Even if they force you to get a years subscription it's still half the price.

I don't expect to see any GAAS on Kunos stuff any time soon but it probably will happen in some form or another in the future.

11. Turk

Turk Alien

12. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

In the case of my design software, the sub price is at least $150 per month but, if I choose the upgrade route, it ends up being much less money every couple of years when they drop support for older versions and the sub-based updates don't address most issues anyway. Sometimes, not embracing the "new" just works better but, as with auto sales and leasing, the "low Monthly payment" seems so affordable to buyers or, as my buddy likes to say - "Only 72 Easy Payments!".

13. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Adobe subscription is the worst thing that happened to hobbist photographers. Not everyone use the product on daily basis, sometimes not even every month, yet you still pay the subscription fee and forced to be online.
    Plus Lightroom was just what, $150, you can still snatch boxed version, https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-652375...AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lightroom
    Suprisingly no mentioning of that product on Adobe site and no support.
    Still holding on my CS6 DVD and LR6.
    And btw, upgrade license for CS from older version was just a few hundreds.

14. Turk

Turk Alien

I never really used lightroom up until it got thrown into the photoshop subscription, I use it all the time now. As far as I know you can get just a months worth of photoshop/lightroom which works out significantly cheaper than €150 if you only want to get a day or two of use out of it..

If you're not going to use photoshop on a daily basis I don't see how paying €500 for it is better than paying (worst case scenario you have to get 12 months) €156. You also don't have to be online to use it, my internet is dropping out all day and it hasn't affected photoshop.

Rudski likes this.
  15. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Hope not. Perhaps if it would indeed include all content, but charging for DLC cars etc. separately is borderline scamming

16. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Boxed version of Lightroom essentially the same as one year of the cheapest Adobe cloud subscription that includes LR CC.
    And I am using CS6 since 2012 and LR6 since 2015 without paying one extra penny to Adobe, wherever I want, whenever I want.
    But afraid in a few years if new version becomes significantly better there will be no choice but go for CC or look for alternatives.
    Before Adobe was trying harder to put improvements and new features into every new version to make people upgrade. Now with annual subscription I don't see this happening, They just lost incentive to innovate and improve the product. Why bother, they are getting money anyway.
    Check the history of the new features implemented over years, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Lightroom
    I don't see anything after CS6.