1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Will we ever see oval racing in ac?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Steve Bullitt, May 17, 2015.

1. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

cool but i will always prefer the spectacle btcc has to offer over this type of racing

Patrik Marek likes this.
  2. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

to setup a simple oval track, and sort of "nascar car" should be quite simple, if people want just to test how it will cope,

love the sound as well

btw. will it be possible to simulate those "brake flaps" that open when car is spinning ??

3. anonymous311

anonymous311 Rookie

I dont remember what track it is but here is some pics of stuff they are doing.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

I tried some oval racing with some buddies once, and the driving/racing itself works spectacularly. Collisions aren't up to snuff for any rubbing/pushing, and of course AC lacks pace car/caution and support for some things such as track bar and wedge adjustment, but still.

As for the whole "hurr durr ovals are just turning left no skill lol" stuff, I used to feel the same way until I actually tried it in NR03. Saying oval racing is "just turning left" is like saying WRC is "just driving a car fast through a forest" or drag racing is "just driving a car in a straight line". It goes so much deeper than that if you actually care to look into it, and it has its own intricacies and merits in terms of driving, strategy, racecraft, and definitely car setup. Yeah, at the end of the day the track's just an oval, but grab yourself a piece of paper and a pen and draw the perfect circle freehand. I mean it's just a circle, easy right?

Ischemica, snyperal, Octane and 5 others like this.
  5. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

but it is :)

Ethan Dean likes this.
  6. Ethan Dean

You know what I mean :D

7. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

of course, but that's with everything,

even cricket looks simple (and stupid) but it's probably lot deeper then we think,
    I wasn't really fan of oval racing, in iRacing it show me that it's bit more complex then what I think .. I still don't like it, but I respect it and people who are passionate about it

Tim Meuris and Ethan Dean like this.
  8. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

I knew someone who got introduced to oval racing (in sims ofcourse) and he found it such a thrilling experience
    still haven't tried it out yet, and probably won't but it was a real good explanation of all the thrill that came with it

9. AlBahner

AlBahner Hardcore Simmer

To be honest, oval racing becomes really fun with a real, with a pad or keyboard it is just mediocre and it is a lot harder to keep the pace. I first got in contact with oval racing through Ford Racing 2 and DTM/TOCA Race Driver 2 about 10 years ago, when I only had a keyboard to drive. It was hard to finish a race due to crashs caused by too much steering angle or simply touching the flat transition on the inside with one wheel. Oval racing back then quickly became frustrating and I lost interest.

Then I tried it again in GT5 with a pad and it was a lot easier, still hit other cars because steering wasn't precise enough. A few weeks ago I tried it in AC with the wheel and it is just so much better, the AI needs improvement though but close racing is indeed possible for a some time. I hope there will be an online server which includes oval racing very soon, because in the long term the AI is not competitive.

10. anonymous311

anonymous311 Rookie

Collisions is what there having problems with on the Nascar mod. And stuff like no rolling starts shows Assetto Corsa is lacking quit a few features yet. hopefully they fix some problems before they release another DLC.

11. 6S.Manu

6S.Manu I'm Awesome! Staff Member KS Dev Team

It's true.
    I've "forced" many friends of mine to play with me, and all of them changed their mind about oval racing... "it will be boring" they said, but then they realized there was little "man vs track" (aka , hotlapping) and much more "man vs man", and they had real fun. :)

Of course you should run on medium/short tracks, not Daytona or Talladega: races are totally different in those circuits.

So I really suggest to any driver here to try this kind of races, since it's also really useful to improve driving skills: so many people are not used to drive "in traffic" and are going to slam you out even if you give them space. Oval racing is also about mutual respect between pilots... even if you're fast you can't be an *****le all the time: after a yellow flag you'll be there with me again, and this time I'll not be so nice with you.

Probably that's also the reason I'm so against blue flags and penalties... :D

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    Ischemica, Octane, Tim Meuris and 6 others like this.
  12. Ethan Dean

Yep. To be honest NR03/iRacing are the only ones I've seen who've nailed car-to-car collisions. I think the key point there is friction. I race in NR03 offline quite frequently, and I can get the guy ahead right where I want him. If I rub his back bumper very lightly there isn't much friction, so I can upset his car slightly or not at all. If I push my bumper on his harder, then of course the friction increases, and I have total control over his back end. I feel like this is overlooked in other sims, and it's safe to say that NR03 in my mind has some of the most natural-feeling collisions in all of sim racing.

Yep. There's all sorts of skills you can pull from any form of racing or driving, and oval racing is no different. In particular it's taught me about letting the car "take a set" before accelerating out of a corner, how to defend position or even pass when on the outside line, and also some little tricks with asymmetry in the car setup. A musician can learn many things from playing multiple genres, and racing is no different. Ovals taught me the aforementioned, drifting taught me how to remain calm and save it when the car starts to slide, monster truck freestyle taught me the reflexes to save a vehicle when it goes up on two wheels (and also throttle/brake inputs to change the attitude of the vehicle in midair, not that that applies to every sim sadly)... the list goes on. You become a very well-rounded driver if you enjoy diverse disciplines.

anonymous311 and 6S.Manu like this.
  13. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I never was much of a fan of oval racing but a few of us had a run on the Jacksonville mod track. The track is prety rough but in the lotus 49's there was some fun racing then we went for something slower the m235i to have some 3 and 4 wide draft racing. Everyone really had fun so even though Id much rather lap Nords racing others on an oval isnt as boring as I expected.

Biggest drawbacks to oval racing in AC is no rolling starts, and on this particular track wall collisions were terrible but thats a poor mod issue rather then AC. If I can find or make some cams for the track I will try and make some videos from the good racing we had there tonight.

AlBahner likes this.
  14. Sean

Sean Simracer

Hey guys, Dead Men Racing (search DMR in the AC browser) is running an Oval combo this week (10th - 17th).

We are using the Oval Config from the new release of Aosta Grand Prix Track. Car is E190.

You can Put a time in and see it here: http://77.108.135.2:42223/lapstat

[​IMG]

Please join us for some Days Of Thunder European style :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    6S.Manu likes this.
  15. St3fan

St3fan Alien

I just spent 1 hour trying out the free 3 months iracing in oval driving and it was fun, even it was just rookies open practice.
    I wonder if I stick to oval racing in iracing, will it be a lot less expensive than people doing road racing?

16. TCLF

TCLF Alien

17. Octane

Octane Simracer

from the link provided...

Yes, please :)

I wasn't aware that "loose surfaces" were in the works. If one can dream I would love to see short track oval dirt late model racing. Dreamers have to dream. I know, I know...this is polar opposite to what we see now in Assetto Corsa. Let me just say that before AC I was not a big fan of road racing, but I have a MUCH deeper appreciation and have begun to watch races online when I can find a live feed. It's not just the cars that draw me in. The driver's personalities are just as important to me and that takes some time to see the driver's differences when you are new to it.

Other than Camel GT races at Road Atlanta and Charlotte Motor Speedway (and a 24hrs at Daytona) in my younger days I had little exposure to road racing here in the U.S.. Oval racing was my outlet for the sounds, the smells and the rumbling vibration of live racing. Dirt Late Model is about as raw as it gets. Some of the rFactor mods and the Ratbag games are okay, but nothing would rival the physics in AC for dirt oval racing. Sorry for the tangent.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    AlBahner and TCLF like this.