1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Would you like more Mod Tracks in AC, similar to Zandvoort? [Strawpoll]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by ShredatorFIN, May 24, 2016.

1. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

The poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/10294615

Sorry if making a topic like this is inappropriate, in this instance mods please remove it.

During Zandvoort release there was lot of controversy, for and against. I'm just wondering where people stand now, and if majority still holds same opinion, today? I was positively surprised by Zandvoort. It's still Kunos quality visually, and the track surface I can't really complain about. I'm kind of used to it now, and drive it regularly. I was one in the "against" crowd, but now I've changed opinion and turned coat :D

Frankly, wouldn't mind other non-scanned mod tracks in AC, if they are similar quality. For example non-European tracks. Lot of interesting tracks, that are never going to happen as laser-scanned versions anyway. USA, Japanese, Aussie etc... Now, someone might say "We can just download the modtracks from RD, no need for this." But IMO there is upsides in mod track becoming Official content:

- It's on par visually with other Kunos content, also optimized to same level
    - Every AC user has it, easier for hosting the track in MP servers
    - Console users would get it too

Might add to this, laser-scanned tracks still hold "higher value" for me. But laser scanned non-European tracks are probably never gonna happen, so is it better to be without them totally?

Last edited: May 24, 2016

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Mod tracks unable to load. Feb 1, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds No game modes launching all cars and tracks Dec 17, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Why FFB on mod tracks is so bad Jul 5, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Mod Cars have no sound on replay. Mod tracks replay not working properly May 23, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Mod Indy Cars and oval tracks Mar 5, 2018
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Some mod tracks not loading Jan 14, 2018
    Chit Chat Room VR on mod tracks Dec 9, 2017
    Screens & Videos Autumn Tracks Mod Nov 15, 2017
    Screens & Videos AC Mod cars and tracks Oct 16, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Modded Tracks won't load Oct 13, 2017
    General modding discussion What are the best mod tracks ? Oct 6, 2017
    General modding discussion Mod tracks suitable for online leagues Oct 4, 2017
    General modding discussion The better "AI" on mod tracks? Jun 12, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Adding DRS to existing mod tracks? May 10, 2017
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues I can not select tracks in championship mode. Jan 13, 2017

3. DAS-Problem

DAS-Problem Gamer

Im not a Pro, but i say why NOT?
    Better have 10 Non Lasescanned but with very good Quality than 2 Laserscanned...
    I dont know how expensive Laserscanning is, but i think it would be as i sayed.
    So thumbs up for non Laserscanned from me...

4. LilSki

LilSki Alien

I think zandvoort was a good idea. Seems the car modders get all the love but the track modders get little to no recognition. Nothing against car modders at all obviously.

5. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

I say why not.

Sent from mTalk

6. Rolf Kazamba

Rolf Kazamba Simracer

If it's a chance to maybe get Bathurst, Suzuka or Laguna Seca...yes, please. :)

LChaves, Leemstradamus and ekosan like this.
  7. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Laserscanning is great for "exact" realism, but that only really matters if you're trying to practice for a trackday or compare in-game lap times with RL ones. As long as the physics mesh is done properly - as many mod tracks are thanks to the help of @LilSki & @ir Sindaco et al - the driving experience is just as good.

Not all worthwhite tracks can even be scanned. A mod like Bridgehampton, for example, represents the absolute highest possible quality for that circuit given that it no longer exists.

Why not have more stuff like that as official content?

Leemstradamus, Szymik and mantasisg 2 like this.
  8. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Well, I think it's better to have non-laserscanned tracks from outside Europe than no tracks from ouside europe. If they're made to Kunos' standars, why not?
    Not to mention that Zandvoort was free. So if you give those tracks as Bonus content or together with a laserscanned track as part of a DLC, we have nothing to lose.

9. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

True, very nice quality track. And obviously cannot be scanned anymore, one example of what could be official. Also Black Cat County was received well afaik too, so wouldn't need to be even limited to real circuits. Also why not something like Luccaring? Not a real track, but a real place. AC could have the laser-scanned tracks stamped with "Laserscanned" text in the track selection menu, so they are still highlighted and make it clear to new drivers which are & which aren't.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  10. I have been begging the devs to make Bridgehampton official since the day it was released; if the track is AAA quality and Marco can acquire a license, then sure, the more the merrier IMO.

xedrox, Vel, TDS and 8 others like this.
  11. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Simracer

A resounding yes. Zandvoort is a great track, well done, and seems like they payed a lot of attention to the track mesh which to me is the most important thing. So long as they are up to that level of quality and realism I say go for it!

12. leon_90

leon_90 Hardcore Simmer

This is why I vote no

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/a-few-zandvoort-issues.28595/

This, and the fact that AC clearly states as a marketing and selling point that it has laser scanned tracks. Anything else would cause confusion and moaning as seen when Zand was released. I am all in for historical tracks, obviously non laserscanned, but not for contemporary tracks. I know that going to Japan, for example, or Australia is almost a no-go at the moment but hey, everything has a down side in life. You can't have it all. Plus, it may be a good occasion to push track owners to laser scan their own tracks, as Nords' do, and sell their data along their license. Nords' wasn't scanned by Kunos, and it's perfect nontheless, so.

13. ir Sindaco

ir Sindaco Alien

Nice question, hope lots of people answers so we get an idea. Being a modder myself i am obviously biased, but here's
    some thoughts: first thing with 3rd parties content is quality, and Kunos did a great job on the cars and Zandvoort to ensure it was not different from other contents. Unless you specifically knew how they were done, i'd say you'd have a hard time telling what was laser scanned and what not, and if Kunos car's in the pack were had accurate data and thus behave more lifelike. Also for tracks, besides laserscanning, there's many ways for a modder to get good reference...laserscanning as well.
    Why cars gets in easier than tracks...it's maybe a production/licensing costs matter (but i guess a top quality car mod takes away as many hours as a top quality track?), or maybe they just know people will buy a 3rd parties car more confidently than a 3rd parties track: i think only Kunos could tell us for sure. I think we have more tracks than cars in game anyway, don't we? Most probably, it's simply because there are more car mods than track mods that are both up to par with Kunos standards and possibly attracting for most of us.
    By the way, added to Zandvoort we recently had another non scanned track, and a fantasy one. That might mean something.
    Besides, there's a lot of places to be re-done that could be great as @aphigod says, and that would not have licensing "issues" as there's no trademark on public roads and many other places: i.e. places that are not raced anymore, also we get very little hillclimb/fantasy official content. Not laserscanned (again...for myself, i am dealing with points clouds, photogramnmetry and lidar data quite frequently, guess i am not alone) but hey, soon people will be playing AC on consoles, that's a hugely vast new audience and who knows, more 3rd parties tracks might get ingame.
    Let's see what others vote :)

fbiehne, aphidgod and Andrea Lojelo like this.
  14. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Also true. Every new laser scanned track added is a huge deal, nothing compares. Also think that Zandvoort etc. should be clearly stated in-game not being laser scanned, even now. So there isn't impression or chance of any new (console) players being misled or confused about it. But still, for the reasons stated, I'm supporting more mod tracks being added, especially tracks Kunos will never be able to laser-scan, for reason or another. I don't know if Zandvoort was a track like this, but there is certainly tracks that are out of reach.

15. dermonty

dermonty Hardcore Simmer

Its pretty hard decision, but I have to say NO. I remember that one of the features of AC that convinced me was their detailed and laser scanned tracks. I was really hyped and fascinated about it. And if I remember when the Scanned Nordschleife was released, it felt so amazing! If I want more tracks I can go to the mod section. Yeah not every track is high quality, but there are a lot of amazing tracks. Rolf said, it would be the chance to get Bathurst, but what I really want is laserscanned detailed Bathurst. I already have a Bathurst mod in pretty good quality.
    So yes on the one hand we need more tracks, but on the other hand ACs success is based on its high quality and precision and they should never lose this focus in my opinion.

16. Obizzz

Obizzz Racer

I vote no for the reasons others mentioned above.

17. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I would say yes if the visuals are on par with the laserscanned circuits, the overall location and geo data is fairly accurately modelled and the physics mesh is about on par with Black Cat County. The thing with laserscanned tracks isn't just the physics mesh but also that they're close to 100% accurate visually to the real deal, with all the distances and proportions proper. If that's done right I personally don't mind if some more tracks get included that aren't laserscanned since AC needs more official tracks and with laserscanned tracks only that'll take years. I don't mind it being part of paid content either although the price point/value has to be right. More money from that could also pay for more laserscans in the end.

18. Radiantm3

Radiantm3 Hardcore Simmer

I vote no. As someone who knows Laguna seca and Sonoma (Infineon raceway) very well in real life, all the sim versions just don't feel right at all. Both tracks are bad in project cars, and Laguna seca is horrible in race room. Laser scanning a track is just as important as getting the cars simulated as close to real life as possible. Sure most have never driven all the cars in real life, but we all love hearing an owner of the real version saying the car feels uncanny in AC.

Also worth noting that track surface data is just as important as getting the scale of the track right. Real world tracks have very specific bumps and dips that totally affect how you drive there. These are details you can't get right without scanned data.

With that said, I like fictional tracks and do download fan made tracks and enjoy them for what they are. But laser scanned tracks are a huge part of why I love AC and the official content. My bucket list is to drive at Spa and the Nurburgring in real life someday and knowing the data is accurate in AC makes it that much better.

Vel, ALB123, Leemstradamus and 8 others like this.
  19. magzire

magzire Alien

I can't believe there isn't a decent Seca Laguna mod

20. SirJack

SirJack Racer

I voted yes, because it increases the chance of getting a few more historical tracks for the historic F1-cars :)

Leemstradamus likes this.
  21. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

It's nice to "know" that a track is accurate when based on LS data but, if it's matter of having a high quality non-LS track vs. no track at all, then I'm happy to have a non-LS version. Without having some kind of LS track depository to draw from, it's just not realistic to expect that all tracks can be LS from small studios.

Why not create a resource cooperative for Sim-developers based in different countries to trade local LS data for tracks located in other regions?

Leemstradamus, ekosan and metalnwood like this.