1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

WowWowWow!!! what Stefano did to the AI??????

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by TDS, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Nothing was changed regarding their inability to pass a slower car. They are a bit more lively, though still a bit timid while behind a player. The major change is that they no longer brake while passing a car that is entering or exiting the pits.

McClusky, Nick Moxley and Mogster like this.
  2. Some Guy

Some Guy Racer

Not that it should affect their strategy or anything but maybe they're just better on the v10 tire model.

Fat-Alfie and Salajutsu like this.
  3. LilSki

LilSki Alien

4. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

AI inability to pass on straights slower cars is that do to path setup or programming?

For example Monza it takes a long time for fast car say 919 to finally commit to inside or outside line to blow past GT3 cars.

In that section its really wide and straight and with two track limit paths way outside why can't it commit sooner.

On some tracks like Mugello it never even tries to deviate from main AI path line down the straight and just gets stuck behind slow car.

I wonder if Stefano has function that determines when AI will attempt to pass on straight.

Would solution be for long straights to have two main ai paths?

5. TDS

TDS Alien

yep is has changed for me, i got passed 3 times in 5 laps by them...
    i think mixing 919 hybrid with gt3, abarth 500, Modded cars!!! and mazdas is the problem for the AI... cause ktm class they rock.
    im gonna upload my replay file on dropbox im too tired to record encode and upload at you tube.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  6. TDS

TDS Alien

OP updated with the replay file.

7. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

This is exactly what I'm thinking.

Seems once behind player (depends on track majorly) they become more timid. Side by side though.....there's no question, it's better. They don't back off NEARLY as much (though, they still actually do to some degree). They stuck with me 2 and 3 wide on corners and even pushed to get in front while 3 wide! Ahead, they do seem to defend a little more. IDK what's going on. There is a noticeable difference in many situations, while many other scenarios are exactly the same.

TDS likes this.
  8. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I am not certain I see big changes in AI-player interactions (if any at all), but I fail to see big changes in AI-AI interactions so far. Maybe not testing enough. Comes time, comes greater clarity, I hope. AI still likes to line up behind each other like pearls on a string. If player gets within a certain distance , however, AI starts to react to him, and then such car trains may get into motion and have a chance to brake up. On some occasions AI still slows down and even brakes to almost standstill if I roll out on the sideline.

9. TDS

TDS Alien

testing a bit more here i have exactly the same opinion about them, some tracks they behave like almost pros, and some others like half *****s lol

10. AccAkut

AccAkut Alien

well I was giving them a challenge. And the "Modded cars!!!" were my own and the URD A4, no kitbashed rip mods.

I saw less car trains of 3 cars and more, the second fast car catching up to the slow bro and the fast car stuck behind it was often much faster in overtaking, even if both faster cars were the same (happened with the F40s behind the Abarth). Even the Praga overtook both the 919 and Abarth in one go at the entrance of T13.

TDS likes this.
  11. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

It was weird on Magione. Testing the 240R against the likes of newer Exige S, Vette, Carrera S, they did something strange. Multiple times, both the Carrera S (which ended up staying ahead of me) and the Exige S were pushing for upwards of 5 or more corners at a time, coming FROM behind.

The Carrera outright dived bombed hard in T1. We stayed side by side for 4 corners on and then he got me with straight line speed.

The Exige S was just flat out ripping into me, trying to pass. he's start catching me on straightaways (which was happening a little bit, but not like the Porsche. That Exige was pushing on braking, which he couldn't do because 24or madness, and ended up trying to pull back into his normal line (that quick slight jerk-swerve or something before retaining the original fast line). That last part happens normally unless you're on corner exit on this course. Yet instead of petering out on corner exit, he would still be there, and sometimes even off the track a bit, while still holding a smooth line. IDK why, but it seemed suddenly like a person quickly took control and said "NO!". So, that's the first corner. He was already side by side by the next corner and I slightly pushed out more than I wanted, he took up the side and stayed that way up until T6 after straight. Never left my side and I was really going as much as I could without contact. I pulled away onto straight and then he caught up again by the braking zone. We were side by side again, only this time, on that specific corner exit, they ALWAYS do 2 things in this scenario (besides literally blocking the AI). I was on outside and he slows down horribly there. On the inside they are more likely to take up space to make contact but otherwise does the same.

I race Magione a lot. I like it best for street cars, idk why. I like the bumps and the need to memorize them a lot. So I know most of the AI commonalities on this track. Something really went different. They do the same exact motions for general mistakes (without being near any other car) and slow down at the same points (when cars are near or at side), yet they fell back significantly less.

The train still happens, but to the player on this track, something is much more aggressive.

EDIT: there were also many more areas of races here that AI would allow space for up to 5 cars (as literally, the carrera overtook on the grass 1st lap, with vette, M4, Exige S and myself on the straight. HOW!)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    TDS likes this.
  12. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

one word

PLACEBO.

13. ZethGAF

ZethGAF Simracer

You're an expert on the subject :)

BrandonW77, Berry, Pulley and 3 others like this.
  14. I don´t have complaints about AI except GT3 cars (maybe others) are very slow. I am not a pro-driver and in less than 4 laps I can go to the first position starting the last one in a 15 cars race at 100% AI strength, with same tyres. (no mods).
    At patch, I don´t remember, 1.10 or 1.11, AI had a good strength, I could not win at 96%.
    So, please Kunos, I would like an AI strength slider to 120% to avoid that issue, please masters :)

15. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

Any track or Nordschleife? Nords the AI got slightly nerfed to keep it from crashing all the time.

16. St3fan

St3fan Alien

I made a Porsche Supercup 2016 season, and have been testing it since: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/porsche-supercup-2016-season.13661/
    The custom career is surprisingly good for me. With 100% AI I really had lots of fun fighting against them. They are still a bit timid at times, but I really enjoy the experience. It is very easy to trick the AI by making bald moves to scare them and gain advantage from it, but when I try to fight them fair they react and make overtake attempts quite well.

I'm trying to make this custom career as close to real life as possible, but yes with current timid AI it would be impossible to recreate the intense battles and huge crashes that happened last year in real life :eek:

TDS, Diablo_rf and Andrew_WOT like this.
  17. Xenix

Xenix Simracer

I'm pretty sure Stefano would pronounce here if there would be a breakthrough in the ai. ;)

......Some Combinations works better as others......

18. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Would assume it's not as simple. 100% is as fast as Stefano could make them (without cheating and using something like more HP engine or better grip). Adding percents doesn't improve the AI, actually reminds me of this:

Maybe different AI line for different cars would be only possible "next step". Some car/track combinations are faster than others

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    AccAkut and Fat-Alfie like this.
  19. Hagen

Hagen Hardcore Simmer

The other popular thread about AI had -poorly programmed/stupid AI- in its title, I would not post there, because that is just disrespectful.

When i race them with respect they race me very well, they occasionally make it three wide.
    They hold the line, if you hold your line too, you can race them side by side for several corners.
    The following Ai will catch up and sometimes get involved.
    They race each other and they do make mistakes, like going too deep, locking wheels, missing the carousel at Nordschleife, going too wide.

If i start to loose respect and do stupid moves against them, or start to zigzag in my line, they stop racing and go into avoiding mode.
    This is important to not piss off players that just started to learn racing and wouldnt know that it was their own fault, which lead to the incident.

Why do i start to loose respect?
    ●When i choose better tires while they stick with the default ones.
    It is possible to edit the default setup for AI, however many wouldnt know that and wonder why they brake in places, where you just lift a bit.
    ●When they start badly and i gain 3-4 places before turn one.
    Seeing them standing on grid with their wheels pointing to the left, the initial thought is chatting: "guys, please get your wheels centered"
    ●When i am not capable of driving fast enough to stand a chance and have to lower the AI perfomance.
    Either they need to go slower, causing awkward moments, or i am overdriving constantly and they go into avoiding mode.
    ●When i am asking too much like multiclass.
    They got better at it, but my last info was that it is not recommended to mix classes.
    ●When they brake in places where you dont expect it, or way too early.
    The AI has to work on any track with any car, with one guideline even on modded content.

For a good experience against artificial intelligence you have to use your own intelligence for now,
    (get up to pace, single class, dont go gt/forza style, same tires, adapt your line a bit)
    until Stefano finds a way to work around the problems that keep bugging him too.
    I guess pointing out the flaws isn't going to help him, as he knows them already.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Minolin, gregack, Fat-Alfie and 2 others like this.
  20. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Thats true but I think some of those that dont work so well could be improved quite a bit by tweaking the settings, the Alfa GTA is currently set to shift down at 4000rpm and up at 8000rpm even if they just change those to 5000rpm and 8150rpm the car will work better. Bumping the brake and aero hints up to max and altering the steer gain and steerla will make it faster still (2-3seconds a lap faster.) I tested this at Magione, Monza Junior, Monza10K and Vallelunga Classic and had no issues at any of those. The Abarth 595SS also has shift down and shift up set too low. It is a shame we can only test these tweaks with 1 AI, problems could still arise in traffic. If we could test a full grid with tweaked settings id happily try and find some good ones in my spare time... its like a driver manager mini game in AC :p

Fat-Alfie likes this.