1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Drift hopefully not too much?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by MsportDAN, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

Seriously? A drift mode and one fictional drift-oriented track are made just for kicks, and you think drifting is going to take over and become the sole focus of AC? I'm stunned. Never mind the multitude of other tracks, and the fact that there are currently no dedicated drift cars slated for official inclusion. The phrase "making a mountain out of a molehill" has never been more appropriate.

If you don't like it, that's absolutely fine, but stop trying to shove your opinion down the throats of others. If you don't like it, simply don't use it, and let those who do like using it do so in peace without hatred or negativity towards them.

GRKGTR and The Moose like this.
  2. The Moose

The Moose Hardcore Simmer

What does this even mean? You remember netKar Pro right? Honestly, waiting until they are sure the MP aspects are right rather than throwing them in there unfinished now tells me everything about the direction of AC... they plan on getting things right first, rather than risk killing their sim at birth like happened to netKar Pro.

xystof and Ethan Dean like this.
  3. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

im not trying to shove my opinion anywhere.. im just sharing a concern about a game i care about. I dont want this to end up like another shift....

4. Ethan Dean

It won't, trust me. Saying that AC, in all its sheer brilliance, will become a Shift clone just because of the inclusion of one track and one driving mode is, quite frankly, preposterous. There's no way that those things can negate the rest of the great content, features, and overall experience that make AC what it is.

Bullus and Tiago Fortuna like this.
  5. Tiago Fortuna

Tiago Fortuna Simracer

I'm no drifting fan either, but my opinion on some subjects was already posted on another thread. This kind of discussion should be locked before reaching page two... or earlier if you ask me.

Sent from my bq Edison using Tapatalk

xystof likes this.
  6. sinbad

sinbad Racer

I don't know why we would not be testing it if it exists in any decent state, is basically what I mean. And if they've left it till this late it can't be because it's a priority.
    I'm just blowing hot air anyway. I do remember nkpro, which is why this is a bit disappointing, but I do like most of what we seen so far so don't take my post as some hater rant.

7. spliff

spliff Gamer

i don't think you know what you are talking about. racing = driving a car at it's limit, as fast as you can. cars with street tires / semi slicks and without a lot of downforce tend to slide (drift) a lot when you're driving them fast around a track. do you know walther röhrl? if not, look him up. :)

8. The Moose

The Moose Hardcore Simmer

It's all good, i know your not a hater:)

I do kind of see your point. The thing that makes both our views fairly redundant is we have no idea how long this beta phase is supposed to be. We could be 12 months away from a the planned release, in which case no MP yet is not a problem. If we still hadn't seen it with two weeks to go then I'd start getting worried.

The fact they've included a few far easier to get in the game features (a drift scoring mode cant be that hard to make in the big scheme of things) at the moment doesn't really tell us much about their priorities. I think they are just trying to appeal to as many motorsport fan simmers as possible at this early stage.

9. Dewald Nel

Dewald Nel Hardcore Simmer

So, anyone got any tips for a n00b drifter here? I have no idea how to properly drift these sim cars - in Dirt 3, yes, but that's so arcade and set up specifically for drift it's like riding a bike.

I would really like some beginner's tips please, especially the 458, but in general also :)

Wanna try it on the Drift track after work :)

10. Ethan Dean

It's a tricky thing to explain, as a lot of it is to do with feel and practice. Check out some videos of someone doing it with a wheel - [this] is a great one.

For initiation, there are a few things you could do. Handbrake is my preferred method (letting it hang out for as long as possible beforehand for badass-points), but you can also clutch kick (literally pushing in the clutch, give it the beans and drop it to get the wheels going), simply power into it, or use the trusty Scandinavian flick. I use the flick a majority of the time, as I lack a proper handbrake in my setup so going the handbrake route is tough for me.

When you have the car sliding sideways, you need to countersteer the right amount - too little and you spin, too much and you will probably flick out and spin the other way. This is a matter of practice, nothing more nothing less. Ideally, you countersteer just the right amount to hold the slide, and then regulate the throttle to keep the tail out. Too much and you spin, too little and you'll straighten out or ping the other way. The key is finding the balance and holding it there. You need to be able to work the throttle and steering together - you could apply too much countersteer, and the car would want to go the other way, but you can hold this off with more throttle. If you're getting too sideways, letting off the throttle and countersteering more (if possible) can save you. If you don't have enough angle going, a tap of the brakes and then a bootload of the loud pedal will get 'er pointing right in. If you have way too much and are spinning, push in the clutch with maximum countersteer for a 90% failsafe way to bring it back, albeit a messy one. But hey, it prevents spinning. Using this, I've often recovered drifts that are waaaayy past 90 degrees (if you're daring, you can try the reverse-entry using this method too)

For tightening corners (for example, first couple of turns at Suzuka), this method works too, albeit with just throttle lift, leaving braking for the really tight turns. Countersteer less, so the car wants to spin just a tiny bit more, but compensate for this by letting off the throttle slightly so the rear doesn't want to slide as much. Once your angle's altered, apply throttle and find "the balance" as normal. It feels like a smaller and quicker version of an initiation. You want to reach a point where steering during a drift is just like steering during conventional driving. You're in a nice balanced drift, but the corner's about to tighten - turn the wheel just a little into, but let off the throttle to compensate. Opening a corner, apply more countersteer and let off the throttle once more. This might be just me as I'm no pro, but I always find I have to sacrifice a lot of angle when extending or opening a curve.

In terms of cars, you want something low and stiff with a good deal of PSI in the shoes. Some cars have no trouble powering out, like the 458, but for the M3 E92 (my personal favourite car for drifting) I find it very helpful to do a good old burnout before you set off. Longer you go, the slipperier it gets. One final tip, use the handbrake for practicing countersteering. It feels just about the same, but you don't have to worry about throttle control or anything like that. Then, you can move into keeping the slide going into the corner with a bit of throttle.

I'm a mess at explaining things, so I hope that was somewhat helpful and not a load of old babble. [Here's] a video of me drifting, just to back myself up, although I need to practice a lot more with AC. I'm better with the Fredric Aasbo Supra MKIV for rFactor, if you use rFactor I highly advise you check it out. Best virtual drift car I've ever driven.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    Dewald Nel likes this.
  11. Ryno917

Ryno917 Alien

I don't like the sport of drifting, either (that's more to do with the culture that surrounds it than anything else, though, to be honest), but frankly this thread is quite... Uhm... Amusing. Shift isn't 'Shift' because of drifting, it's 'Shift' because it is not realistic; it is NFS. NFS =/= drifting, Drifting =/= NFS.

AC is not suddenly going to turn into an arcade game. Furthermore, drifting is not arcade. It is definitely a sport in its own right. Drifting, the sport, is not racing, but it is Motorsport. Any decent racing simulator should be able to accurate simulate that niche without any physics modifications; the fact that AC does is proof of its strong physics model.

12. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Look at the content of "normal" motorsport and whats offered for drifting at version 1.0. Its clear, which way AC will go, so dont be scared of this.
    I cant drift, but i like the idea to test it, if i want to try it atleast.

13. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

Thats why iRacing physics sucks, when you push over the limit you are 90% f****d

14. ov1diu

ov1diu Hardcore Simmer

@Ethan Dean Nice drifts! :) Thank you for sharing this information. I recommend watching this video as well. The guy knows what he's doing and explains the idea nicely.
    <Video here>

Ethan Dean likes this.
  15. RaceBump

RaceBump Gamer

This is somewhat silly. This isn't Shift where you push your magic "handbrake" button and you become a drift god. This is a much more realistic sim, which they provide a drift (very loose) car setup on some cars. Then you do as you wish with it. Put a M3 and drift it around Imola, your lap times will be crap but guess what? It's probably a ton of fun if you can pull it off, and the replay will look sweet. Or earn some points in their drift mode. So what?

I'm a big iRacing fan, but the fact that you can't really drift a car shows its shortcoming in the NTM (new tire model). You take almost any RWD car and technically you should be able to drift it around a turn if you want. In iRacing, the model is good until you are at the grip limits. Then it becomes almost a on / off switch. Here you can exploit that threshold and really slide the car around, if you know how to control it.

I'm terrible at sliding a car around on purpose for show, but I appreciate that the engine can realistically simulate it. As long as they don't implement a magic handbrake or make it faster than a valid racing line, I say drift away and post your replays.

Just my .02.

The Moose and Kristaps like this.
  16. Ethan Dean

Thanks! I love Niels' videos a lot. He was the man behind the rFactor drift Supra I'm so in love with, and he has a great video of him drifting it elsewhere on his channel. So jealous of his wheel, also :D

17. Mikey

Mikey Rookie

I think its a good corner of the market that has been relativity untapped. I can see it having a big following. I'm not a drifter (I try but run out of talent very quickly, but its a fun break from lapping). The art of balancing a car and transition from drift to drift. I think its a good thing to include because it focuses attention on the tyre model over the limit, and tyre temps/wear.

18. ov1diu

ov1diu Hardcore Simmer

Agreed. :)

19. xystof

xystof Hardcore Simmer

Mate... you know, people are watching youtube and TV... if you'll check biggest shows and YT channels, you will see that all guys from Top Gear, Fifth Gear, EVO, Chris Harris, Autocar are drifting and playing with cars all the time. On tracks, on public roads, on airstrips... they are having fun everywhere. And that's what people want - have fun with Ferraris, BMWs, McLarens etc. etc.

20. deathsquid

deathsquid Gamer

Dude, drifting is a "motor sport" like it or not. AC has seen a lack of content for this and has responded. I myself have not been a big fan of drifting in an online sense, mainly because they have all been pretty lame. But if AC sticks to its format then I see drifting being a very viable component of the title. It will attract a whole new generation of people to the game, which i think is, on KUDOS's part, very smart. And for us, a bonus as some of those people will (excuse the pun) drift our way, in turn some of us may become interested in drifting. Your argument is somewhat insulting to the intentions of the developers, its easy mate, if you don't like to drift, don't , stick to road, easy as that.